Data Files

My Quicken Data Backup files and operating files are stored on Microsoft OneDrive. The other day, I lost power and did not have access to the files. When power was restored, all of a sudden my data files folder shows up on my desktop. How do I get this off my desktop and when I open my Quicken it goes to accessing the files on my OneDrive?

I went to backup and it shows my desktop and am unable to remove in from there I backed up my files back to OneDrive with a date stamp. but if I delete the folder off my desktop and open Quicken, it creates a new GPUCache folder. I do not understand how to stop this and stop it from making this folder on my desktop.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @sdleper,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize for the trouble you're experiencing.

We strongly advise against saving your main data file to a Cloud-based backup location such as OneDrive (as well as any other cloud-based drive folders) as this can cause irreversible data damage and/or corruption. For this reason, we recommend keeping your main data file saved on your local hard drive. By default, Quicken data files are saved and located in the following pathway; C:\Users\"Username"\Documents\Quicken (see example below). 

Moving your main data file to be stored in a folder located on your local hard drive rather than a cloud-based location may help prevent the issue you are currently experiencing.

Please, refer to this support article for more information in regards to storing data files on cloud-based services. Although the article references DropBox, it does apply to all cloud-based services including OneDrive.

However, backup files are fine to be saved to cloud-based drives.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
      Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

1. sdleper
      sdleper Member ✭✭
      I have done this and when I open Quicken and then exit out of it, the the Data Folder GPUCache still creates the folder back on my desktop. So where in Quicken do I tell it to save the data folder to the PC/user/documents/quicken and not to my desktop?
    2. Chris_QPW
      Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
      sdleper said:
      I have done this and when I open Quicken and then exit out of it, the the Data Folder GPUCache still creates the folder back on my desktop. So where in Quicken do I tell it to save the data folder to the PC/user/documents/quicken and not to my desktop?
      Use Windows File Explorer to move your Quicken data file to the folder you want, and then double click it to open it in Quicken.
      Signature:
      This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
    3. sdleper
      sdleper Member ✭✭
      Thank you. That appears to have worked
    This discussion has been closed.