Backup on Dropbox - how to access from two computers

I backup my 2019 Quicken file regularly on my PC using Dropbox. I also have Quicken installed on a laptop but I don't know how to access the same Dropbox backup file that I use on my desktop. If that's not possible, does anyone have suggestions on syncing my laptop with my Desktop?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    While we used to suggest using backup/restore to move files between computers, that process now creates a new dataset in the background and there is a limit to the number that can be created and once that is reached, only Quicken support can reduce it and they can only delete the last.
    It is now suggested to copy the .QDF file between computers, but don't keep the .QDF file in a DropBox monitored folder, copy it there.
    How to install and use the same DropBox account on a second computer is covered in DropBox's website help.

[added] The copy should be a Windows copy, not a Quicken copy.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @splasher I am assuming that is a Windows copy rather than a Quicken copy?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:

Correct, I should have stipulated a Windows copy vs a Quicken copy.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:

Absolutely!  Use Windows File Explorer's copy.  You don't want to use the Quicken Copy these days it will disconnect all of the online services.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, you can always change the Quicken Backup file extension from .QDF-backup to .QDF and then just open the file in Quicken.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    EDITED because the formatting of this forum messed up the first post.

If one wants a bit more automated way of doing this they can create a command script.

Open Notepad and paste in the following:
    (change the name of the Quicken data file and path to where it is stored locally)

@echo off
    set DATA_FILE=Current.qdf
    set DATA_DIR=c:\Quicken
    set QUICKEN_DROPBOX_DIR=%USERPROFILE%\Dropbox\Quicken

copy "%QUICKEN_DROPBOX_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%" "%DATA_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"

IF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO COPY_PASSED
    start /wait cmd /C "ECHO %QUICKEN_DROPBOX_DIR%\%DATA_FILE% copy of data file failed. && PAUSE"
    GOTO END

:COPY_PASSED
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Quicken\qw.exe" "%DATA_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"

copy "%DATA_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%" "%QUICKEN_DROPBOX_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO END
    start /wait cmd /C "ECHO %DATA_DIR%\%DATA_FILE% copy of data file failed. && PAUSE"

:END

Save this to a file with the extension of .cmd like Quicken.cmd
    Where you save this file isn't important, it can for instance be in your Documents folder, but what you will want to do is create a shortcut to it by browsing to it with Windows File Explorer and right click on it and selecting Windows "Send to" -> Desktop (create shortcut).

Then on that shortcut on the Desktop right click and select Properties and change Run: Normal window to minimized.  This will make the window running this script minimize so that it doesn't get in the way of using Quicken.  You can rename the shortcut if you like.

You double click on this shortcut for it to copy the Quicken data file from the Dropbox folder to the local one (C:\Quicken is what the script has) and then have Quicken open that data file.  It will copy it back to the Dropbox folder after you close Quicken.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We use a remote desktop client to access the Windows desktop where we maintain Quicken.  There are a variety of free implementations available.  If you're Windows and network savvy, I recommend Microsoft's Remote Desktop.  If you want simplicity, I recommend TeamViewer.
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am one of those people who keep their Quicken file in OneDrive (previously on DropBox). I have been using this method for many years without issues (and yes I know Quicken doesn't recommend it). OneDrive and DropBox keep a local folder on your computer. So I pause syncing while in the file.

I am able to access Quicken on my home computer and work computer, again without any issues.

Just my use & opinion.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jfclague said:
    I am one of those people who keep their Quicken file in OneDrive (previously on DropBox). I have been using this method for many years without issues (and yes I know Quicken doesn't recommend it). OneDrive and DropBox keep a local folder on your computer. So I pause syncing while in the file.

I am able to access Quicken on my home computer and work computer, again without any issues.

Just my use & opinion.
    If you pause the syncing, then you have avoided the problems that Quicken Inc is trying to steer people away from.  It is the race conditions of both Quicken and the "cloud sync" that cause problems.  If the syncing is off while Quicken is using the file, then there isn't any conflict.

So yes this is another method to do this.
    Signature:
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW

“Race conditions”?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    q_lurker said:
    @Chris_QPW

“Race conditions”?
    Quicken's backup flow goes like this:
    Close/unlock file.
    Open file/lock for copy and then do the copy (note at this point the backup file is also open/locked).
    Close backup file/lock is released.
    Close file/unlock.
    Open current file/lock.

Note that the lock is automatic on the open, and automatic on the close (Windows file system does it).

Now what is the "cloud sync" process doing?
    It is waiting for the lock on the Quicken data file to be released.
    What is it going to do when it sees that the lock is released?
    It is going to open/lock the file so that it can copy/sync the file to its server.

Every time Quicken closes that file and releases the lock there is race between Quicken reopening/locking that file and the Cloud sync service doing the same thing.

If the Cloud sync gets to the file opened/locked first that will prevent Quicken from opening it, and it will report an error, which is usually something like "Another application is using the file".  In some cases Quicken has reacted to this by showing the dialog to create a new file or open an existing one.

Backup is only one example of a flow like this.  Validate and Repair is another, changing from normal fonts to large isn't another, and moving investment transactions is another.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always fun when you get into a locking situation like this....
    Open A - lock it .... open B.... wait for it being avail & Un-locked
    while of course some other task has B locked, and is waiting for A to become Un-locked....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.