check numbers not downloading in version 6.4.4

Has anyone been having the same problem? After I updated to the new version non of the check numbers from my bank are downloading like before. I have to manually insert the check numbers to the corresponding payee.
Can this be fixed?

Thanks everyone!!

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @Regla Rojas The question is whether the problem is with your bank or with Quicken. It might help if you name the bank here, to see if other users of that bank are experiencing the same problem.

It's not unusual for banks to make changes in the format of data they send to Quicken, and if they don't use the correct syntax in the QFX data, Quicken cannot map the check number to the correct field. For example, my bank is Citizen's Bank, and I do not receive the check numbers when I download my transactions. I don't write a lot of checks anymore -- I just fill them in when I reconcile the account each month -- but this would be a big pain if I wrote a lot of checks. 

If you contact Quicken Support's telephone representatives, they can look at the log files of your recent downloads to see exactly what the bank is transmitting. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Regla Rojas,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, I suggest creating a new (test) file and try adding the account brand new to see if you receive the same result in the test file. If needed, please, review this support article for instructions on how to create a new file and how to switch back to your original file after.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @Regla Rojas The question is whether the problem is with your bank or with Quicken. It might help if you name the bank here, to see if other users of that bank are experiencing the same problem.

It's not unusual for banks to make changes in the format of data they send to Quicken, and if they don't use the correct syntax in the QFX data, Quicken cannot map the check number to the correct field. For example, my bank is Citizen's Bank, and I do not receive the check numbers when I download my transactions. I don't write a lot of checks anymore -- I just fill them in when I reconcile the account each month -- but this would be a big pain if I wrote a lot of checks. 

If you contact Quicken Support's telephone representatives, they can look at the log files of your recent downloads to see exactly what the bank is transmitting. 

• Having the same exact problem since either the latest upgrade or the one before it. Regia, see if you have this happening too. I just found this out recently. During the download (fifth third bank) in the Payee column, the check number does appear after the "Check Posted Check" payee name. But within a few seconds it disappears and it does not show up when it used to be in the check number column. Hope this gives the support team some insight as to where the problem is. I am leery about upgrading anymore. This is not the first time I had problems following an upgrade.
  • jacobs
    @Gordon S. This site is not Quicken Support, so if you want to have hope of this issue being addressed, you should contact Quicken Support. Phone is best, so they can screen-share your Quicken screen to see what you're seeing and to pull the appropriate logs.

Note that this issue may or may not be related to an update in Quicken Mac, may or may not be an issue with the financial institution, and may or may not be an issue with Quicken's connectivity provider, Intuit. If it was a problem with Quicken Mac after an upgrade, all Quicken Mac users would be experiencing this, and that doesn't appear to be the case. There is an industry standard for how transaction downloads should be encoded, including check numbers, but financial institutions often don't follow it or break something in their export of data. The check number should not be in the Payee field at all, if should be in a line of OFX that looks like:
        <CHECKNUM>0012345
    If the bank's export has it coded correctly, then it's possible there's a problem with the scripting used by Intuit to bring the data into Quicken for this financial institution. This is where Quicken Support can look at your data and log files to try to determine where the problem lies. 
This discussion has been closed.