quicken shows tax lot for stock but won't display that lot for a sale

Options
The last transaction for a stock X was a purchase of 100 additional shares 4/2020 for stock owned since 2001. When I view X's history, that transaction shows as the last transaction. The total shares is correct in holdings. I have sold 100 shares X last month. When I specify lots to enter the sale, the 4/2020 100 shares is not an option. Additionally, the number of total number of shares in the specify lots is too high versus the history pop up window. I have not sold any of X since the 4/20 100 share purchase, so I didn't specify that lot in another transaction. I want to specify the 4/20 100 shares as the sale to make the gain(minimized) accurate. I tried rebuilding lots already.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is the Sell date entered correctly? If it is before 4/2020 you will not see the newest lot.

If that's not it, try deleting and re-entering the 4/2020 Bought transaction. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    To determine why the lot disappeared, I suggest you determine when the lot disappeared: open the account, select Holdings, clicking on the  icon to the left of the security's name, and adjust the As of: date to determine when the lot was removed.  Then, you should have an easier time locating the transaction that impacted the lot and determine how the issue should be addressed. 

Note: If you haven't already, you may want to check the Show hidden transactions preference: Edit > Preferences...

• TimShieldsYahoo
    Options
    Thanks. I had ticked the show hidden securities earlier - no help. There is no problem in the accuracy of the holdings. Total number of shares is correct. The last transaction for the security was the purchase of 100 shares 4/2020. There are no transactions after that, so as of date is 5/2020 and 12/3/21 equivalent.
    The problem is that when I do a new transaction to sell those specific shares, and I click on specify lots,
    the 4/2020 transaction with those 100 shares don't show. The stock has no dividends so the only transactions are purchases and sales - the most recent before 4/2020 was 12/2017. Quicken is not internally consistent. Any other ideas?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    If the Holdings view is showing lot for the security on the date in the same account you're attempting to enter the transaction, I suspect the Quicken file is damaged.  If you haven't already, I similarly suggest you delete and reenter the buy transaction.  Otherwise, you may want to review: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Troubleshoot+a+damaged+Quicken+data+file
  • TimShieldsYahoo
    Options
    Thanks. Did the delete and re-enter. No change in the specify lots. I give up - not that critical. I use brokerage info for taxes, just would like Quicken to function properly. No problem specifying lots for 4 other securities. Be nice if Quicken team took this on to figure it out.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks. Did the delete and re-enter. No change in the specify lots. I give up - not that critical. I use brokerage info for taxes, just would like Quicken to function properly. No problem specifying lots for 4 other securities. Be nice if Quicken team took this on to figure it out.
    If you want the issue to be looked at by Quicken, I suggest you select Help > Report a problem...
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    IF I'm understanding you correctly:
    1. You only hold this security in one Account
    2. Shares Held in the Holdings section of the Security Detail View is correct
    3. Shares in the Account Overview window is correct
    4. The 100 share lot of security X is shown as one of the lots of security X you see when you click on the "+" next to security X's name in the Account Overview
    5. The 100 share lot is not included in the lots available for sale in the Specify Lots Sold in This Transaction window, but the Available to Sell total in that window overstates the number of shares you owned immediately before the sale
    There might be some benefit in trying to figure out what, exactly, is wrong in the detail of the total number of shares shown in the Available to Sell column of the Specify Lots Sold in This Transaction window.  It might be an earlier transaction that's the source of the problem.
This discussion has been closed.