Linking a Schwab 529 Account (Mac)

Boborino
Boborino Member ✭✭
What's the set-up/link our 529 plan held at Schwab? I saw it on the list of accounts when I set up our Schwab link for our retirement accounts, however, no transactions come thru? Should I set it up as "Simple" or "Detailed" (if it matters/makes a difference)?

We are actively transferring money into the 529 every month.

Comments

• Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, @Boborino

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question! I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem.

When you view your account, is the "Transaction" Tab greyed out? Simple tracking does not allow you to view your transactions and so the Transaction tab will be unavailable. In order to view your transactions, you should set up the account to use Detailed Tracking. If you have already set up your account for Simple tracking and you would like to switch it over to Detailed tracking, please select your account in your account list and access your Account Settings (either through the settings gear or through Accounts > Settings in the menu bar at the top of your screen. Once you are in your Account Settings, under the Details tab you will find the option to switch to Detailed tracking.

Hopefully this helps! If you have any further questions or this does not resolve your issue, please get back to us so that we can further diagnose your issue.
    https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

-Quicken September
  • Boborino
    Boborino Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken September said:
    > Hi, @Boborino
    >
    > Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question! I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem.
    >
    > When you view your account, is the "Transaction" Tab greyed out? Simple tracking does not allow you to view your transactions and so the Transaction tab will be unavailable. In order to view your transactions, you should set up the account to use Detailed Tracking. If you have already set up your account for Simple tracking and you would like to switch it over to Detailed tracking, please select your account in your account list and access your Account Settings (either through the settings gear or through Accounts > Settings in the menu bar at the top of your screen. Once you are in your Account Settings, under the Details tab you will find the option to switch to Detailed tracking.
    >
    > Hopefully this helps! If you have any further questions or this does not resolve your issue, please get back to us so that we can further diagnose your issue.
    > https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support
    >
    > -Quicken September

Thanks, one annoying thing I notice Quicken for Mac does is every time I sync online with Schwab it asks me if I want to add the 529 (at Schwab) to Quicken. I select the option to match it with the one already set up. Of course nothing ever downloads, which is okay, but the problem is that every time I sync Quicken doesn't know what to do with the 529 account at Schwab (the dialogue box comes up again and again as if is never set up in Quicken the first time).

Hope that makes sense, is this a bug or am I using it wrong?
  • Quicken September
    edited December 2021
    Hello again, @Boborino

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and respond to this discussion! I apologize for the trouble this has caused you.

If I am understanding you correctly, Quicken prompts you to Authorize and Re-link your 529 account with Schwab every time you download transactions? Are there any other accounts you have with Schwab that are having this issue?

This loop is a known issue and is typically caused by a Schwab account that is still connected under the "Old" connection method - Basically, the program recognizes the old instance of Schwab (typically zzzCharles Schwab and Co., Inc) and then when you update, prompts you to "Authorize" that account to get it to the new connection method, even if it is old, closed, or no longer used.

Please check to see if you have any accounts other than your 529 that are connected to Schwab, taking special care to check your Hidden and Separate Accounts. We will want to disconnect every account other than your current 529 through Accounts > Settings > Downloads > Disconnect Account. Once this is complete, please attempt to update transactions. You should no longer be prompted to authorize Schwab.

I hope this helps! If it does not, or if it does and you would like to confirm that your issue is resolved, please reach back out and let us know.

-Quicken September
  • Boborino
    Boborino Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken September said:
    > Hello again, @Boborino
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and respond to this discussion! I apologize for the trouble this has caused you.
    >
    > If I am understanding you correctly, Quicken prompts you to Authorize and Re-link your 529 account with Schwab every time you download transactions? Are there any other accounts you have with Schwab that are having this issue?
    >
    > This loop is a known issue and is typically caused by a Schwab account that is still connected under the "Old" connection method - Basically, the program recognizes the old instance of Schwab (typically zzzCharles Schwab and Co., Inc) and then when you update, prompts you to "Authorize" that account to get it to the new connection method, even if it is old, closed, or no longer used.
    >
    > Please check to see if you have any accounts other than your 529 that are connected to Schwab, taking special care to check your Hidden and Separate Accounts. We will want to disconnect every account other than your current 529 through Accounts > Settings > Downloads > Disconnect Account. Once this is complete, please attempt to update transactions. You should no longer be prompted to authorize Schwab.
    >
    > I hope this helps! If it does not, or if it does and you would like to confirm that your issue is resolved, please reach back out and let us know.
    >
    > -Quicken September

Just to clarify, I DO have 6 other Schwab accounts that are all connected. I established the connection at the same time only about 2 weeks ago. I'm a new Quicken for Mac user.

Do you still want me to disconnect all of them and reconnect them all?
  • Quicken September
    Hi @Boborino

Thank you for getting back to us here in the Community! I appreciate your responses and I apologize that this is still an issue for you.

When you look in your Account Settings, are these other Schwab accounts showing as being connected to zzzCharles Schwab & Co., Inc? Anything but the newest connection method "Charles Schwab & Co., Inc" could result in the loop and therefore I would recommend disconnecting them and reconnecting any/all Schwab accounts to Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.

I hope this answers your question. If it doesn't, please reach back out and let us know so that we can continue assisting you.

-Quicken September
  • Boborino
    Boborino Member ✭✭
    None of the Schwab names includes z’s, they all reflect the newest connection. I disconnected and restablished all new connections for Schwab both on the Quicken side and on the Schwab side and it appears to be working and the 529 loop is gone.
    However now I’m getting a “General Error” message at the end of syncing. I reported it within the app to Quicken. Is that actually looked at by anybody?
    I appreciate the help, thank you.
  • Slo
    Slo Member ✭✭
    Having the same problems. Sync error at end of update process. Request to add accounts that already exist, no transaction or balance showing in 529 accounts.
  • Quicken September
    Hello @Boborino

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with an update on your resolution! I am happy to hear that the Schwab loop has been taken care of, however, I am sorry to hear that you're now receiving a Sync Error - General Error. 

To resolve the General Error, I suggest that you reset your Quicken Cloud with the steps detailed below. This will not affect your data file or any other Cloud Accounts you may have with us. 

1. First, I recommend that you Save a Backup of your data file before we get started.
    2. Next, please navigate to Quicken in the menu bar at the top of your screen, then Preferences.
    3. Please click on Mobile, Web, & Alerts, turn the Sync toggle to the Off position, and click Disable Sync.
    4. Next, please navigate to Connected Services and click Reset. Confirm this by pressing Reset in the pop-up box.
    5. Once the reset has finished, please navigate back to Mobile, Web & Alerts and flip the Sync toggle back to the On position and click Enable Sync. 
    If you continue to receive this error, please let us know so that we can further assist you. Thank you!

-Quicken September
  • Quicken September
    Hi, @Slo

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and adding to this discussion, though I apologize for the trouble. To get a clearer picture of the issues at hand, would you mind elaborating on a couple of points?

• What Sync error are you receiving? Is it a General Error like @Boborino reported? Or is there another error code associated with this particular Sync error?
    • When you report that Quicken is requesting you to add accounts that already exist, do you mean that the accounts are already successfully linked yet the program asks you to link it again? Are there any errors associated with these accounts? 
    • What is the financial institution/instance within Quicken associated with these accounts? (for example Charles Schwab and Co., Inc)

Also, if you don't mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message(s) you described receiving? If needed, please refer to our Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

FAQ: How do I post a screenshot in the Community from Windows?

FAQ: How do I post a screenshot in the Community from a Mac?

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words... When posting here in the Community, it is very helpful to include screenshots of what you are seeing, to help others help you. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest

Once you have this additional information, please let us know so that we can assist you further. Thank you!

-Quicken September

• Boborino
    Boborino Member ✭✭
    Thanks, the reset work.
  • Boborino
    Boborino Member ✭✭
    Side question, how come when I select an account cmd-U (update selected account) ALL of the accounts appear to update?
  • Quicken September
    Hi, @Boborino

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to let us know that this resolved your issue! I am happy to hear it. If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out. Thank you!

-Quicken September
  • Quicken September
    edited December 2021
    Hello again, @Boborino

Thank you for reaching back out to the Community to report this bug!
    Boborino said:
    Side question, how come when I select an account cmd-U (update selected account) ALL of the accounts appear to update?
    I was able to recreate the issue on my end. I will report this issue internally as a bug so that we can investigate the issue further.

If you would, please go to Help > Report a Problem. From there, please leave a brief description of the issue, leave the log files attached, and submit them to Quicken. We do not currently have an ETA on when this issue will be resolved, but we appreciate your patience and participation.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out again and we'll be happy to assist you. Thank you!

-Quicken September

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Quicken September Isn't this simply standard operating procedure? The way Quicken Mac has always worked, when a user does a Command-U on a Direct Connect account, all accounts with that financial institution are updated at the same time, and when a user does a Command-U on a Quicken Connect account, all Quicken Connect accounts across all financial institutions are updated together. Has this changed with the switch from FDS to FDP? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken September
    Hi, @jacobs

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and adding to this discussion with your question. We have had reports that the Update Selected Online Accounts feature has not worked in the past and we are working on getting this resolved. 

In Quicken for Windows, when a user updates a selected account, it updates all accounts with given financial institution - this equivalent feature in Mac fails to do so, rendering it essentially no different than running a One-Step Update. This bug has been documented and reported. 

I hope that answers your question. Thank you!

-Quicken September

This discussion has been closed.