Number of Shares discrepancy between Quicken Data and Quicken Investing

TonyD
TonyD Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Investing (Windows)
For 1 of my investment accounts, when reviewing Quicken Investing, the number of shares of 1 stock is +100 shares higher than my data in Quicken (e.g. Q = 25 sh, QI = 125 sh). Stock is TSLA

I have reviewed all my transactions within the Quicken Premier investment account and there is nothing out of the ordinary. I only have 1 lot purchase of 25 shares acquired 15 months ago.

Quicken Investing only allows viewing, no editing. Any advise is appreciated

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    TSLA split 5:1 on August 31, 2020.
  • TonyD
    TonyD Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > TSLA split 5:1 on August 31, 2020.

I’m aware. The split transaction in Quicken worked as expected. However, the discrepancy is in Quicken Investing. And there is no way to edit there?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    By Quicken Investing, do you mean the old website investing.quicken.com?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • TonyD
    TonyD Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > By Quicken Investing, do you mean the old website investing.quicken.com?

Not sure how old the website it. It is all over the current subscription of Quicken Premier. Among the many links from within the software, you could also find it in Edit, Preferences.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have you updated site, making sure that the account in question is selected?

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • TonyD
    TonyD Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Have you updated site, making sure that the account in question is selected?

Hi Chris, yes, it is clicked. My entire investment portfolio is updated regularly. The only error is the value/shares of the tsla stock and the related balance of the account in which it sits. Surprised Q Investing doesn’t recognize (and alert) the $ difference between desktop and online balances.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You bought 25 shares of TSLA and on 8/31/20 it split 5:1, right around the time you bought it. If you bought before the split,  you should now have 125 shares in both  places, right? But you say you only have 25 shares in Quicken. Is the split recorded correctly in both places?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know exactly what is going on here, but I do want to point out this:
    Is the split recorded correctly in both places?
    There isn't a "both places".

investing.quicken.com only gets the number of shares uploaded to it from Quicken, not transactions or split information.
    Signature:
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprised Q Investing doesn’t recognize (and alert) the $ difference between desktop and online balances.
    I'm not.  (Caveat -- I do not transfer my own portfolio from my Quicken file to the investing.quicken.com site simply because I don't want all that info out there in that fashion.  My choice.)

My understanding is that when there is a portfolio on the Q-investing website linked to a specific data file, that online portfolio only gets it info from syncing with the data file.  Since that site only gets data from that source, 'it assumes' the data is always consistent and there is no need for a check.  Thus I am not surprised.

Now again, I lack direct experience, but my suggestions would be for you to
    a)  make a change to your TSLA holding in your Quicken file and see of that change gets applied to the Q-investing website.  If so, then changing it back to the correct 25 shares should also get the website corrected.  Maybe just some change is needed.  OR  
    b)  delete the portfolio from the website and then reinitiate the sync to your file.  I know the process to delete a manual portfolio from the website can be a touch arcane, so figuring out how to do that for a synced portfolio may also be a challenge.  Per my caveat above, I don't have those details at hand.  
  • TonyD
    TonyD Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > You bought 25 shares of TSLA and on 8/31/20 it split 5:1, right around the time you bought it. If you bought before the split,  you should now have 125 shares in both  places, right? But you say you only have 25 shares in Quicken. Is the split recorded correctly in both places?

The actual events were:
    bot 10 sh pre-split
    50 sh after 5:1 split 8/31/20
    Sold 25 sh (like an idiot🙄) in Sep 20

25 remaining shares in Quicken Desktop

Quicken transactions calculated properly.

Guess?: Quicken Investing somehow split the remaining 25 sh (5:1) in Sep 20+ into 125 sh.
    Although, no way to correct it.

Thanks
  • TonyD
    TonyD Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I don't know exactly what is going on here, but I do want to point out this:
    > There isn't a "both places".
    >
    > investing.quicken.com only gets the number of shares uploaded to it from Quicken, not transactions or split information.

That’s what I would think too? But in this case, there are “both places”
  • TonyD
    TonyD Member ✭✭
    > @q_lurker said:
    > I'm not.  (Caveat -- I do not transfer my own portfolio from my Quicken file to the investing.quicken.com site simply because I don't want all that info out there in that fashion.  My choice.)
    >
    > My understanding is that when there is a portfolio on the Q-investing website linked to a specific data file, that online portfolio only gets it info from syncing with the data file.  Since that site only gets data from that source, 'it assumes' the data is always consistent and there is no need for a check.  Thus I am not surprised.
    >
    > Now again, I lack direct experience, but my suggestions would be for you to
    > a)  make a change to your TSLA holding in your Quicken file and see of that change gets applied to the Q-investing website.  If so, then changing it back to the correct 25 shares should also get the website corrected.  Maybe just some change is needed.  OR  
    > b)  delete the portfolio from the website and then reinitiate the sync to your file.  I know the process to delete a manual portfolio from the website can be a touch arcane, so figuring out how to do that for a synced portfolio may also be a challenge.  Per my caveat above, I don't have those details at hand.  

I followed b) and it partially worked! In Quicken Investing, “Manage Web Portfolios and Watchlists”, I was able to delete the problem account. I updated/synced and was able to see my account again with no transactions. Thinking there might be a delay in updating transaction history online…so I’ll give it a day or so. I’ll report back.

Btw-I realize(d) putting all the data online may not be advised. However the portfolio analytics available in Quicken Investing is far superior to what is in desktop.

Thank you!!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    TonyD said:
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I don't know exactly what is going on here, but I do want to point out this:
    > There isn't a "both places".
    >
    > investing.quicken.com only gets the number of shares uploaded to it from Quicken, not transactions or split information.

That’s what I would think too? But in this case, there are “both places”
    Oops even though it doesn't show the transactions I see that it does keep track of the value over time, so in that case it needs to know about the split.  At first, I thought it was only keeping the current value.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.