permanently delete paycheck related categories

I have custom categories that I use for tracking income and expenses related to paychecks. I don't want the built in 'Salary', 'Salary Spouse' , etc categories. But no matter what I do, those categories WILL NOT GO AWAY.

I tried deleting them. I tried renaming them. I tried hiding them. Quicken just keeps adding them back whenever I edit a paycheck. (If I don't edit a paycheck, they will stay deleted; it's only when editing a paycheck that they get added back in.)

How do I make them go away permanently? I do not want them.

Best Answers

• AGKorson
    AGKorson Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Why not simply go to the Category List (ctrl-c) and HIDE them?

You would think that would work, but it doesn't really. Yes, they are hidden in most cases, but if you edit a paycheck, say to add a new income line, the default category when the form first load is still one of those 'immortal' categories. They show up even when hidden.

It's not a super big deal, but man, it sure is annoying that it is impossible to delete them (unless there is a way, and I would sure like to know how if that's the case.)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The paycheck wizard by its very nature is an attempt to try to walk a person that doesn't know how to do this in a split transaction and as such makes assumptions about how things should be laid out.

The built-in categories, and the creating of some of them on the fly is the price of that "automation".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you are using the Paycheck Wizard to enter your paychecks. Have you tried clicking Edit on the Earnings lines? That lets you change the name of the line and the Category it uses. Does that not work for newly entered paychecks?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • AGKorson
    AGKorson Member ✭✭
    Yes, I used Paycheck Wizard to enter them. Editing the earnings line is not relevant. I'm talking about the creation of the Categories in the Category List. What is on the form doesn't matter. When you edit a paycheck entry, Quicken automatically adds all those categories back into the main list. What I want is a way to stop quicken from doing that. When I delete a category it should go away. Not get added back in every time I edit a paycheck entry.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not simply go to the Category List (ctrl-c) and HIDE them?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• AGKorson
    AGKorson Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Why not simply go to the Category List (ctrl-c) and HIDE them?

You would think that would work, but it doesn't really. Yes, they are hidden in most cases, but if you edit a paycheck, say to add a new income line, the default category when the form first load is still one of those 'immortal' categories. They show up even when hidden.

It's not a super big deal, but man, it sure is annoying that it is impossible to delete them (unless there is a way, and I would sure like to know how if that's the case.)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The paycheck wizard by its very nature is an attempt to try to walk a person that doesn't know how to do this in a split transaction and as such makes assumptions about how things should be laid out.

The built-in categories, and the creating of some of them on the fly is the price of that "automation".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • AGKorson
    AGKorson Member ✭✭
    THx for the explanation. A bit disappointing that there's no way to make these go away permanently. I'll survive though.
This discussion has been closed.