Reversal of entries???

Dameron1-
Dameron1- Member
I am entering charges to my credit card as always and around the end of November, the charges (I have them in right column) started acting as refunds - adding the amounts back instead of charging them.

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    The fact that your "Balance" column is black for a good portion of your screen shot means that something - a big refund of a previous charge, maybe the CC got paid twice? - shows that the credit card company owed you and the actual charges are behaving properly, i.e., each charge reduces the balance owed to you.  Then when the balance goes red - you owe the CC company - the charges are increasing the amount in the Balance column.
    Everything is working properly in Quicken. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Dameron1- said:
    This is happening on my Citi Bank account.
    I have Quicken Starter Edition. Build 27.1.36.54 and membership is good till 10/04/2022
    If you haven’t already, you may want to verify the register is sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  open the register, select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset.

Charges should always subtract from the running balance.  
    Payments should always add to the running balance.

When the running balance is in the black (positive), charges will appear to reduce the balance and payments will appear to increase the balance.

When the running balance is in the red (negative), charges will appear to increase the balance and payments appear to reduce the balance.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Can you show us a screenshot of this?  And is it only happening in one card account, or more than one?  Which cards, which bank issued them?  Are you downloading into this/these accounts when the issue happens?
    Lastly, what Q product are you running, what BUILD of that product and what's your "Membership Valid thru" date?  This info can be found at HELP, About Quicken.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• This is happening on my Citi Bank account.
    I have Quicken Starter Edition. Build 27.1.36.54 and membership is good till 10/04/2022
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that your "Balance" column is black for a good portion of your screen shot means that something - a big refund of a previous charge, maybe the CC got paid twice? - shows that the credit card company owed you and the actual charges are behaving properly, i.e., each charge reduces the balance owed to you.  Then when the balance goes red - you owe the CC company - the charges are increasing the amount in the Balance column.
    Everything is working properly in Quicken. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Dameron1- said:
    This is happening on my Citi Bank account.
    If you haven’t already, you may want to verify the register is sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  open the register, select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset.

Charges should always subtract from the running balance.  
    Payments should always add to the running balance.

When the running balance is in the black (positive), charges will appear to reduce the balance and payments will appear to increase the balance.

When the running balance is in the red (negative), charges will appear to increase the balance and payments appear to reduce the balance.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    OP's screen capture shows the register is sorted by the Clr column. As I used to tell my moose pal, "that trick never works."

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.