All of a sudden, the Balance Column on one of my accounts just disappeared.

Nicholas126
Nicholas126 Member ✭✭
On one of my accounts, the Balance Column is blank for all entries. All other accounts look normal with Balance window show up correctly. Everything else looks OK.
Have no idea what to do.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited December 2021
    Hi @Nicholas126,

Thank you for contacting the community, I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue. I can see how that would be immensely frustrating. 

Could you please tell me what FI this account is with and the connection method that you use?

I would also like to know if you received any errors when doing an update.

I look forward to hearing your response. 

Thank you,
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    On one of my accounts, the Balance Column is blank for all entries. All other accounts look normal with Balance window show up correctly. Everything else looks OK.
    Have no idea what to do.
    Hello Nicholas126,

This definitely sounds like a terrifying thing to find when you open your application, but let's see if we can isolate the issue. First, what banking institution are you working with? Next, be sure that your register is sorted by date (you can do this by clicking the top of the 'Date' column), and that you have cleared the filters at the top of the register. If more extensive troubleshooting is necessary, we'll know once we have confirmed that these steps do not resolve the problem. 

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    More than likely you've selected a sub-group heading instead of the actual account.

Groups, such as Banking...and sub-groups, such as Cash or Credit Cards aggregate ALL those sub-groups together.

So if you open Banking, you'll get transactions for ALL banking accounts, which could be checking, savings and cash.  Of course, you'll get no balance shown because the transactions span multiple accounts.

Make sure you have actually selected the account you want to open.  Make sure you click on the small arrow next to the Group or sub-group heading to give you the individual account names.

Post back and let me know if this fixed your problem.  
  • Nicholas126
    Nicholas126 Member ✭✭
    I have checked everything you suggest and still a blank Balance column on the one account. All other accounts look fine. By the way, I do not use on line banking. This is just on my computer.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Can you snip a screen shot?  Blank out any amounts and include the sidebar and the register and include the register headings.  Include the entire "blank" balance column.

Also, what type of account is this...checking, cash, savings, credit card, investments???

You can just drag and drop your snip into the comment box in this thread.  

Your issue has zero to do with online banking.  
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Nicholas126 Just want to clarify that the Balance column exists, but all the entries are blank. IF the column does not exist, click menu View > Columns to restore it while viewing a single account register (not a group register). To make sure you're displaying all accounts in the sidebar, click the three dot (...) icon at the top of the sidebar, then Expand All Sidebar Groups.

Please answer the good questions posted by @garysmith87. Gary is right that this has nothing to do with online banking. It is also not caused by not being sorted by date: in that case, the numbers in Balance become italic, but they do not disappear. 

One thing you can try: use the view menu mentioned above and remove the Balance column (uncheck it). The quit Quicken and restart the computer. After restart, open Quicken and turn the Balance column back on.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Nicholas126
    Nicholas126 Member ✭✭
    The account is a checking account. I have another checking account in Quicken and all data is there. On the side bar, I have the account in question highlighted (select). Every column on that account (Date, Action, Check#, Payee, Category, Amount Memo/Notes and Balance appears. The entire Balance column is empty, has not figures in it, all they way back to the first entry back in 2019.The Balance column header is there "Balance" but no data appear in it. I have tried going into "Columns" (icon at bottom right of page), turning off Balance, quitting Quicken, then restarting it and then placing the checkmark in front of the Balance column, quitting and restarting and still no data in Balance. All other accounts, checking, savings, etc. all have data in the Balance column. Not sure I am making any sense. I appreciate all of you kind people trying to help.
  • Nicholas126
    Nicholas126 Member ✭✭
    Tried entering a new "dumb" checking account. Added some transactions and after each "transaction", the balance appeared in the Balance column. Still not visible in the account with the problem.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Try creating a new account.  

Then select all the transactions in the old "bad" account register and "drag and drop" to the new account in the account sidebar.

See if that works for you now. 

If it does, delete the now empty "bad" account.

As always, backup your data file first. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    More than likely you've selected a sub-group heading instead of the actual account.
    @garysmith87 Actually, groups and sub-groups do not display a Balance column. Clicking the Columns icon when viewing a group register, you'll note that Balance isn't even an available column to display or hide. So since @Nicholas126 makes clear that there is a Balance column visible, it can't be an account group.

But… I can't figure out how to get a Balance column with no values. ;)

@Nicholas126 Please capture and post a  screen shot or two of your screen as Gary requested. There's something we're all missing in trying to solve this mystery, and seeing the screen might provide the clue we need to unravel it. If you have a way to edit images to blur or black out personal data, do so; if not, capture portions of the screen which don't reveal sensitive information. Here's an example of my checking account with data blacked out. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Nicholas126
    Nicholas126 Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much. Tomorrow, I will try to capture some of the screen and black out sensitive data. I can probably just enter some fictitious data and take a pict of the table with that in it. I will continue tomorrow.
  • jacobs
    Unless your data shows you have $12 million or –$12,000 in your checking account, you probably don't need to worry about blacking out every number, just anything that reveals personal or sensitive information. ;)
  • Nicholas126
    Nicholas126 Member ✭✭
    Well, actually I feel like an idiot. I corrected it. I know what I did, but have no idea why it worked. I clicked on the far left column "Date" and suddenly all of the numbers appeared in the Balance column?????? I realized also that there is now need to worry about showing any data, as long as I don't have such thinks as SS and or Bank ID data showing. Let me know if any one understands why my clicking on the date heading corrected the problem.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My old notes say......

You can't get a running balance unless it's sorted by Date.  Click the Date column heading to sort by date.  And for  Mac click on "Reset Filters" at the top of the register.  Some Filters prevent the balance from showing.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Nicholas126
    Nicholas126 Member ✭✭
    Bless you!!! I think it is as simple as that.
  • jacobs
    @volvogirl That information is long out of date for Quicken Mac.

@Nicholas126 Clicking on the Date column heading to sort the register by date is always the first thing to try if your balance values don't appear normal. But I still don't know of a way to make the balance column numbers disappear altogether. When you click on another column, it will sort by that column, and the Balance values will be in gray italic to indicate they aren't really showing an accurate running balance.

Wait... are you using an old version of Quicken Mac? In Quicken 2017, clicking another column would sort by that column and the values in thee Balance column would disappear
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why I said from my old notes.
    I see Quicken Jared said to sort by date etc,  in the 2nd answer at the top.  Didn't you try those steps earlier?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jacobs
    volvogirl said:
    That's why I said from my old notes.
    Yup, my comment wasn't a criticism, it was just letting you know that your notes are wrong. :)
This discussion has been closed.