Quicken hung on blank "Enter Quicken ID Password" prompt -- *Again*

ketch
ketch Member
When I try to start Quicken, I get to the "Enter Quicken ID Password" prompt screen, but it is blank, and when I close that window, the main Quicken window is grayed out and the only way to close it is to use the Task Manager to kill the job. I tried installing the latest patch file, but that didn't fix anything.
This happened once before, several weeks ago, and I had to uninstall Quicken and delete a bunch of files and folders, before doing a fresh install. That worked, but I am more than a little unhappy that this is happening again.
Suggestions?

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @ketch,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

In order to better assist you further; if you don't mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the blank "Enter Quicken ID Password" screen you described above? If needed, please review this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ketch
    ketch Member
    I can make a screen shot, but the result has way too much personal financial information in it to share on a public forum. Sounds like a bad idea to me. Not sure what more information you can get from that anyway. The blank Quicken ID password screen is over a grayed out copy of the opening page I normally see when I start Quicken.
    Perhaps you could point me to instructions for a completely clean reinstall that saves my years of Quicken records?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Understandable. If the blank screen is a pop-up screen, then if you haven't already, I suggest that you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in. However, I do recommend that you save a backup of your data file first (just in case). Please, follow the instructions below in order to do so.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password (this screen is not a pop-up box)
    Keep in mind that the sign-in pop-up dialog may continuously keep popping back up throughout this process, in which case you will need to continue closing it each time it pops up until you reach the full sign-in screen.
    ketch said:
    Perhaps you could point me to instructions for a completely clean reinstall that saves my years of Quicken records?
    In regard to the clean reinstall instructions; please refer to this support article and scroll down to the section titled If the steps above do not resolve the issue. Then, open and follow the instructions found in the blue dropdown sections titled First: Download and use QCleanUI and Second: Rename Quicken Shared Folders.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ketch
    ketch Member
    On your first response, I had no access to any of the quicken menus or features, so I couldn't re-log in, open a new file, or anything else.
    So I tried the second thing, uninstalling Quicken, using the QCleanUI and MSIClean32 files, renaming folders, rebooting, then reinstalling Quicken. When I restarted Quicken after all of this, I told it I wanted to open an existing data file, then selected the data file. Quicken then presented a crash report pop-up, and after I pressed send on that, Quick stopped. Now every time I try to start Quicken, it presents the crash report popup then quits. It won't run at all now.
  • andyc3
    andyc3 Member ✭✭✭
    Anja,
    I had exactly the same problem/symptoms as Ketch, also on Oct. 23rd. Running Win 10/64 21H1-19043.1288. When I opened Qkn Windows Annual) a few days ago it installed an auto update with no error msgs. Qkn ran fine for a few days until the pop-up/gray screen issue. In specific, when I open Qkn my data appears on a white background for a second or two, then comes the blank white screen pop-up telling me that I need to "Enter Quicken ID Password" (i. e., the heading appears but no popup content). If I 'x' out of the empty pop-up the grayed out Qkn app screen is left but it is totally non-functional. Any attempt at clicking, even on the 'x' results in a "no data entry allowed" bell warning. In fact, the gray screen Qkn is totally unresponsive and can be removed only by logging out or by ending the Qkn process via the task applet. It appears to me that there is a disconnection in authenticating credentials back to quicken.com prior to allowing data entry in the Qkn app. So, can you find a way to decouple the requirement to authenticate to quicken.com from operating the Qkn app? Or perhaps force a reauthentication from the Quicken.com end, perhaps with a one-time password. In any case, please forward this case to the Qkn team that manages the interface between the Qkn app and the Qkn authentication resource. Please check with your authentication team to see whether they have implemented any updates, upgrades, improvements over the past few days and look at any of those for solutions. This issue has all the hallmarks of a sys admin oops.

Thanks,
    andy
  • ketch
    ketch Member
    I repeated the uninstall/clean/reinstall process outlined in the support article referred to by Anja, and this time I was able to open the pre-existing data file in Quicken, after logging in with my Quicken ID. Was a bit funky because the first time I did this after the re-re-reinstall, my accounts weren't displayed. I had to exit Quicken and then restart it, after which it seems to be back in normal operation.
  • I am having this problem today. The quicken app launches and the client window opens. But it appears when the connect process to the quicken cloud occurs it cannot may a connection. I am left with a blank 'Enter Quicken ID Password' popup.
  • jasmwood
    jasmwood Member
    I have the same problem two weeks after the Schwab fiasco - Quicken - what is the solution?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I am having this problem today. The quicken app launches and the client window opens. But it appears when the connect process to the quicken cloud occurs it cannot may a connection. I am left with a blank 'Enter Quicken ID Password' popup.
    Hello Scotty Van,

I know that these kinds of problems can be very trying, and I appreciate you contacting the Quicken Community for further information. I hope I am not misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you are experiencing the blank 'Enter ID' window only when you are trying to connect an account, and not when you are opening Quicken, correct? If so, that sounds a little more like a connection problem and less like a login issue of the sort @ketch was experiencing.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Alix
    Alix Member
    I am having this problem, since Sept 1st, 2022. I only "online" update my investment files, nothing else. Updated Ok on Aug 21, now, when I try to update stock prices, the Quicken ID and Password pop up screen is blank and will not go any further. Using Quicken 2016 Home and Office, which I know is unsupported, but hoping someone can help me. Canadian user.
This discussion has been closed.