Installing Quicken on new computer - how do account passwords get installed

Options
drt_sc
drt_sc Member ✭✭
I've been running Quicken for Mac on an older iMac. I'm purchasing a new iMac 24" and want to download and install the Quicken product. How do my existing passwords for the online accounts that I have get setup on the new machine?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @drt_sc Well, the passwords for your financial institutions are stored in your macOS Keychain. While it is possible export and import certain Keychains to move between Macs, you can't do so with passwords for local keychains. Apple suggests using iCloud Keychain for this purpose, but you're saying you don't want  to do that. So if you choose not to migrate, you will need to re-enter them manually.

The only file you need to move between one Mac and another is your data file. Or data files, if you have more than one. And moving your folder of backups of your data file would be advisable, too.) But there are no ancillary files with passwords.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hi @drt_sc,

Thank you for coming to the community with this question. If you have these passwords saved to your icloud keychain on your older mac then when you set up your new mac, you should have access to them and be able to use them. If not, then you would need to manually transfer your usernames and passwords over to the new Mac. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions. 

Thank you, 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    Options
    If you use Migration Assistant to move from one Mac to the next, those Keychain entries will be brought across. 
  • drt_sc
    drt_sc Member ✭✭
    Options
    I don't use iCloud for Keychain and I also am not planning on using Migration Assistant. I want to manually copy the files needed for Quicken and the account passwords.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @drt_sc Well, the passwords for your financial institutions are stored in your macOS Keychain. While it is possible export and import certain Keychains to move between Macs, you can't do so with passwords for local keychains. Apple suggests using iCloud Keychain for this purpose, but you're saying you don't want  to do that. So if you choose not to migrate, you will need to re-enter them manually.

The only file you need to move between one Mac and another is your data file. Or data files, if you have more than one. And moving your folder of backups of your data file would be advisable, too.) But there are no ancillary files with passwords.
This discussion has been closed.