Quicken showing 'Risk of Overdraft' for rarely-used account

I have a checking account with $3800 in it. My 'Stay on Top of Monthly Bills' tab shows a 'Risk of Overdraft' message. If I click that button it displays an ongoing balance for that checking account of -$15,000. Under 'Upcoming Bills and Income' it lists nothing but an expected $300 deposit at the end of the month.

A little more background: My bills are now being paid out of a separate checking account. Some years back, the account in question was my primary account, out of which my bills were paid, primarily using OBP. So I suspect Quicken is thinking some ancient bill is still being paid out of this account, although I'm not seeing anything like that in my list of bill reminders.

Any thoughts?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    sfrenkiel said:
    I have a checking account with $3800 in it. My 'Stay on Top of Monthly Bills' tab shows a 'Risk of Overdraft' message. If I click that button it displays an ongoing balance for that checking account of -$15,000. Under 'Upcoming Bills and Income' it lists nothing but an expected $300 deposit at the end of the month.

A little more background: My bills are now being paid out of a separate checking account. Some years back, the account in question was my primary account, out of which my bills were paid, primarily using OBP. So I suspect Quicken is thinking some ancient bill is still being paid out of this account, although I'm not seeing anything like that in my list of bill reminders.

Any thoughts?
    Hello sfrenkiel,

I know that this message can be confusing, and I am happy you chose to speak with us about it here on the Quicken Community. Is that balance shown in the Upcoming Bills and Income window the same as the balance shown in the checking account register?

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • sfrenkiel
    sfrenkiel Member ✭✭
    I'm not sure if there's a way to post an image or I'd show it. If you mean in the Stay on Top of Monthly Bills window, it says -$1848 under 'What's Left'. This appears to be the sum of my various other Spending accounts, plus the -15000 or so it seems to think is in the checking account in question (which shows $3800 in the register).
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited December 2021
    Hello @sfrenkiel,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.
    sfrenkiel said:
    I'm not sure if there's a way to post an image or I'd show it.
    If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• sfrenkiel
    sfrenkiel Member ✭✭
    Thanks Anja. Attaching a summary of my spending accounts, and what my 'Stay on Top of' window looks like with the overdraft detail dialog opened.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any Scheduled Reminders in this account register which are long past due and have not been skipped, recorded or deleted?
    Take a look in Tools / Manage Bill and Income Reminders and sort the All Bills & Deposits list by Due Date.
  • sfrenkiel
    sfrenkiel Member ✭✭
    I had the same thought, but the earliest entry in that window is for 12/30/21.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited December 2021
    Thank you for the additional information.

To start with, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• sfrenkiel
    sfrenkiel Member ✭✭
    Performed validation & super validation, no change.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for following up.

Next, do you have a recent backup that was saved prior to this issue occurring that you can restore? If so, I suggest restoring a backup file to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file. If needed, please, review this support article. Scroll down until you see Quicken for Windows and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

-Quicken Anja

• sfrenkiel
    sfrenkiel Member ✭✭
    Spent some time playing around with old backups & accidently overwrote my current file. However, after restoring my most recent backup to get back to where I was, the issue seems to have cleared up.

I wish I had a better understanding of what caused the issue but at least I seem to be past the problem. Thanks Anja!
  • Quicken Anja
    Thanks for the update! Glad to hear things appear to work correctly now. :)

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.