Downloading Transactions Problem

I have been routinely downloading transactions from my checking account into Quicken without any problem for years. Yesterday though, when I was downloading several months, all of the transactions from the month of march were missing. I've tried several times to download just that month of transactions, but they won't download. Is there something I can do to get them downloaded?

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Hello @BudaHungary

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. To clarify, when updating your account(s) using the One Step Update, only the last 87-90 days of transactions will be available for download. If you would like additional transactional history past the available time frame you may go to your bank's website and download a QFX (webconnect) file from the month of March. Once, you have downloaded the QFX (webconnect) file, it will need to be imported into Quicken. 

For instructions on importing a QFX file (webconnect) please click here.

If you need assistance navigating and obtaining the QFX file please contact your bank for further assistance. Also, please note that the majority of banks do offer a QFX file option but not all, so I would suggest checking with your bank first as well. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • Thanks so much for your response! I don't use One Step Update to download my transactions, but have exclusively been using "webconnect" to download them. The March transactions were missing in my original download of several months of transactions, having no problem with the February or April-September transactions. And when I later chose to download just the March transactions, they wouldn't download.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @BudaHungary,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest that you please create a new (test) file to see if you experience the same issue in a new file as well. In doing so, we will be able to determine whether or not this is caused by an issue within your current data file.

Follow the steps below to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.
    2. Select New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to easily be able to tell it apart from your main file. Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for WindowsDon't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.
    5. Sign in with your Quicken ID (if prompted). If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 
    6. Select to not use Mobile (if prompted).
    7. Click Add Account to be taken to the new file

From there, go ahead and attempt to import the same QFX file for the missing March transactions as you normally would to manually download. You should receive a prompt to add the account. Once that is done, see if you experience the same issue in this test file. From there, you can then switch back to your original file. 

Follow the steps below to switch files:

1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @BudaHungary, I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencing this issue. It sounds to me that your March transactions were already downloaded at some point, and possibly got deleted and typically Quicken will not redownload transactions. However, there is a workaround to this. If you deactivate your account, then try and import the March file again it may work. Here are the steps on deactivating

Deactivate an account

1. Select the Tools menu and select Account List
    2. In the Account List, select the account for which you want to deactivate online services, and then click Edit. 
    3. In the Account Details window, click the Online Services tab.
    4. Click Deactivate next to the service you want to disable.
    5. Click Yes to the message asking if you want to disable this service. Note: If you do not receive this message, additional information is available below
    Let me know if this helps!
    - Quicken Jade
  • I just deactivated my checking account and went through the set-up to re-activate it again. I then tried to download the March transactions and again they did not download into my register. The quicken icon on my desktop lights up when I click on the file to download them, like it does when I successfully download my other transactions, but nothing happens with my March transactions, i.e. they still don't download. :((
  • Quicken Anja
    @BudaHungary Thanks for following up! 

Have you tried the test file by following the instructions I provided in my previous response? If so, what was the outcome?

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• I just created a test file like you suggested and yes, the March transactions DID download into the test file! Thank you!!! How do I get those March transactions into my regular checking account register? And, is there something wrong with my checking account register/file that needs to be fixed?
  • Quicken Anja
    @BudaHungary thank you for confirming!

Go ahead and switch back to your original file. Doing this confirms that they were previously deleted from your original checking account. There are a few different options on how to proceed from here.

You can either restore a backup to see if the missing transactions are saved in one of your backups. Or you can deactivate the original checking account, download the missing transactions into a NEW checking account (but still in the same data file). Then, move the transactions from the new checking account to the original checking account.

Let us know how you wish to proceed, and I will go ahead and provide you with the appropriate instructions! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• I don't think the missing transactions are in a backup file, so I'll have to create a NEW checking account within the same data file. Could you provide instructions for that please? Also, when switching back to my original file, the most recent option that is listed, #2, (under the checked "test file" option) doesn't contain the date of my most recent backed-up file. Will it choose the most recent file that I was using earlier today when I switch back?
  • Quicken Anja
    edited December 2021
    Thank you for following up.

Have you already switched back to your original file? If not, could you please provide a screenshot of your File menu so I can help you select to correct file? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Once you've successfully switched back to your original file, I will go ahead and provide the other necessary instructions to move forward.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• I've attached a screenshot of my File Menu.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for providing the screenshot.

To navigate back to your original file, at the bottom of the list above "Exit", please select the 2nd data file located directly below the data file that has a checkmark in front of it (see highlighted line in the screenshot below).

After the file opens, please post back to confirm that this is your original data file.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• I switched back, and yes, this is my original data file.
  • Thanks so much for all your help!!! Waiting for instructions now on how to proceed.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited December 2021
    Awesome, thanks for the continued updates!

Next, you will need to deactivate the original account before importing the QFX file for your March transactions. 

To deactivate the account

1. Open the Account List (Ctrl + A).
    2. Make sure to Show Hidden Accounts, if that option is available.
    3. Click Edit next to the affected account(s).
    4. Go to the Online Services tab and click Deactivate.
    Then, go ahead and follow the instructions below to download your March transactions and import them into a NEW account.
    1. Download and import bank (.qfx) file as you normally would
    2. Because you previously deactivated the account, you should now receive the dialogue box shown below-- Click the first top option for Create a new account
    3. Click Import
    You should now see the March transactions in a NEW account. You will want to highlight all of these transactions before moving them to the original account. To do so, click on the first March transaction so it's highlighted, then hold the Shift key on your keyboard and click the last March transaction while still holding the Shift key. Once you've done that, you will see that all March transactions should now be highlighted. Once they are all highlighted, you can let go of the Shift key. Then, go ahead and Right-click the highlighted transactions and in the Menu that will pop open, choose the option for Move transactions. You will then receive a window as shown below asking you which account you wish to move it to. Use the dropdown menu to choose the original checking account you wish to move the transactions to and click OK.

Once the transactions have been successfully moved, you can then right-click the new account that should now be empty and select Edit/Delete account. In the next window, click Delete account in the bottom-left corner and follow the prompts to delete it.

Now, keep in mind that the original account was previously deactivated, so upon your next download/import session you will need to reactivate it.

To reactivate the account
    1. Download and import the bank (.qfx) file as you normally would
    2. Because you previously deactivated the account, you should now receive the dialogue box shown below-- Click Link to an existing account, then choose the account nickname from the drop-down menu.
    3. Click Import

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• That worked perfectly!!! Great instructions!!! Thanks so much!!!
  • Quicken Anja
    You're welcome and thanks for the update! Glad to hear I could help. :)

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.