Sync Error (Q Mac)

Sarah G
Sarah G Member ✭✭
I've been getting a Sync Error: "Quicken encountered an error when communicating with our server." No updates possible. I've tried all the suggested fixes, including disabling and enabling the sync button, resetting account info, signing out and signing back in of Quicken. Nothing works. What now? [Edited-Readability]

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Sarah G,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this and for not having received a response yet.

If you haven't already, I suggest manually resetting the cloud account instead.

To do this, first, save a backup (just in case). Then, follow the steps below to remove the cloud account from your main data file.
    1. On your desktop program - navigate to the Quicken dropdown menu
    2. Preferences
    3. Mobile, Sync & Alerts and turn sync Off
    4. Close Preferences
    5. Open a different data file, or if you don't have a second data file to open, then create a temporary new data file (click here to view instructions under To create a new data file).
    6. Once you've opened a different data file, navigate back to Quicken
    7. Preferences
    8. Connected Services
    9. Click on See all cloud accounts 
    10. Select the cloud account name from your original file
    11. Click the minus-sign (-) in the bottom left corner
    12. On the pop-up screen, click Delete Cloud Account
    13. Switch back to your original data file (click here to view instructions, scroll down to Switching between data files)
    14. Once you've returned to your original data file, navigate back to Quicken
    15. Preferences
    16. Mobile, Sync & Alerts and turn sync back on
    Once that is done, see if this resolved the issue. You can then also delete the new file you previously created as well as its cloud account (if applicable).

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Sarah G
    Sarah G Member ✭✭
    I have tried this solution several times, on two different days, and I continue to get the same error message that there is a Sync Error. I have been unable to connect for online downloads since November 20. Is there a log showing errors somewhere in the app software? I read a previous support message that someone was able to solve a similar problem by finding a corrupted currency symbol. I am using two currencies (dollars and Euros), and perhaps my issue is similar.
  • Hello @Sarah G,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and update this discussion with your progress, though I am sorry to hear that your issue persists. 

To answer your question, yes there are log files within your software that record errors. You can find them by going to Help>Show Logs in Finder. Online banking errors would show in the HTTP log. While you're at it, why don't you go to Help>Report a Problem, and send your log files over to Quicken? This way we can take a look at them for you to better determine what issues your having and how to address them. 

Do let us know once you have done this so we can take a look for you. Thank you.

Quicken Alyssa

• Sarah G
    Sarah G Member ✭✭
    Can I attach the log file here?
  • Sarah G
    Sarah G Member ✭✭
    I just uploaded the error log file through the Quicken software Help menu. I mentioned your name in the message. I hope they can help.
  • @Sarah G

Thank you for the update. Unfortunately, I am not able to determine the cause of your issue based on the information in the logs.

But I do have another suggestion. DO NOT do this if you are connected to Charles Schwab. 

First, you will need to open a new (test)file. To do this, go to File>New>Start from scratch. Once you are in the new file, please use this Knowledge Base article to delete the cloud dataset for your current data file. 

Once you have deleted the dataset, you can go back to your original file by going to File>Open Recent and select the second file in the list. When it opens it will prompt you to create a new cloud dataset. Please do this and then let us know if the issue persists. 

Quicken Alyssa

• Hi. I am having the same issue ("Tag Sync Error"). I have done all the above suggestions (plus deleted all my tags), but, the problem persists, even uploading a new data set! It only works with a new, empty test file.
  • Hi @Mr Karman,

Thank you for reaching out to the community, I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue. 

Can you please send your log files over to Quicken so we can troubleshoot the issues and errors that are occurring within your current data set? You can do this by opening the Quicken application> bringing down the menu bar at the top of your desktop> going to help> then report a problem. 

Please let us know once you have completed this step so that we can better assist you. 

Thank you,
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Sarah G
    Sarah G Member ✭✭
    Dear Jasmine,

I uploaded my log files 11 days ago through the help/support function in my Quicken for Mac application. I have not heard anything useful from Quicken since. I am still have the SYNC ERROR and have been unable to update any accounts through the app since Nov 10. I DO have a number of Charles Schwab accounts, so I did NOT try the suggestion above (Dec 8), as instructed. PLEASE help!!!

Thank you, Sarah
  • Hi @Sarah G,

Thank you for contacting the community, I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue and I appreciate the update. 
    From what I am seeing in your logs, this error is not related to what the other users are experiencing in this specific discussion. Unfortunately, logs are only available for 7 days after being uploaded to Quicken. 
    Could you please submit your logs again including the screenshot of what is going on when you try to sync?

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Thank you for your continued support and patience as we work towards a resolution. 
    Quicken Jasmine 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• JJM 242
    JJM 242 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Same Problem. Very annoying. [Removed-Disruptive]
  • Richard@
    Richard@ Member ✭✭✭
    Same Problem!  I also find it very annoying and would like to know when it will be resolved.
  • Allan L.
    Allan L. Member ✭✭
    I am having this problem with a Bank of America account. No similar problems so far in a separate file. But since November 20 I am unable to sync transactions with Bank of America at all. Other sync operations working ok.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Allan L. said:
    I am having this problem with a Bank of America account. No similar problems so far in a separate file. But since November 20 I am unable to sync transactions with Bank of America at all. Other sync operations working ok.
    Hello @Allan L.,

I know that these issues with syncing are frustrating. Thank you for seeking assistance here on the Quicken Community. By chance, have you noticed any error codes when this happens?

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Sarah G
    Sarah G Member ✭✭
    Hello. I am still experiencing the same Sync Error (General Error) that began on Nov. 11, 2021. I just uploaded my log files once again through the Sync Error window of the Quicken Application, with all log files attached. Please help!
  • Sarah G
    Sarah G Member ✭✭
    Hello. Since logs are available to you for only 7 days, can you tell me if anyone has viewed the logs I uploaded on Jan 4? This is the second time I have sent my logs to Quicken, as you requested, and I hope someone there is trying to solve this very frustrating problem. As a user of Quicken for more than 20 years, I hope all of my financial records will not become unusable for me. I would hate to have to abandon them. Thank you.
  • @Sarah G,

Do you have a VPN, Firewall, Anti-Virus, or other third-party software that could be blocking Quicken's access?

If so, please try disabling these, one by one and retrying the connection in your Quicken after each one is disabled. 

Do let us know how this goes. Thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

• Sarah G
    Sarah G Member ✭✭
    I just tried disabling my firewall. Didn't help. And my anti-virus software. Didn't help. I don't ever use a VPN when using Quicken. This problem started in the fall about the time that Schwab began changing its login procedure. At first, I would get this Sync Error but Quicken would still update my Schwab accounts, although I would have to close the error message box several times during the update process. Then in early November, nothing would update at all. My last downloaded transactions and stock price update was on November 11.
  • Richard@
    Richard@ Member ✭✭✭
    I am experiencing the same problem - get a sync error after running an update.  This has been going on since late Nov or early Dec.  When is Quicken going to have a solution?  I have been a Quicken User for over 20 years and never had a problem that wasn't quickly resolved. This is very annoying.
  • Quicken Jared
    Richard@ said:
    I am experiencing the same problem - get a sync error after running an update.  This has been going on since late Nov or early Dec.  When is Quicken going to have a solution?  I have been a Quicken User for over 20 years and never had a problem that wasn't quickly resolved. This is very annoying.
    Hello @Richard@,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this sync error, as well. Thank you for contributing to the discussion about this matter.

Have you looked into the information provided by @Quicken Alyssa? Often these errors can be a consequence of VPNs, FireWall settings, or antivirus software. We would want to rule these out before taking any additional actions.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Sarah G
    Sarah G Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Jared. My post in response to Alyssa seems to have disappeared. I tried turning off my firewall and antivirus software, but it made no difference. I never use a VPN with Quicken. I am still having the problem of getting the Sync Error, General Error and am unable to update my accounts.
  • Quicken Jared
    Sarah G said:
    Thanks, Jared. My post in response to Alyssa seems to have disappeared. I tried turning off my firewall and antivirus software, but it made no difference. I never use a VPN with Quicken. I am still having the problem of getting the Sync Error, General Error and am unable to update my accounts.
    Hello @Sarah G,

I am sorry that the issue is persisting and I appreciate that you are continuing to follow up with us about this matter. In order to better assist you in this particular scenario, it would be pivotal for you to contact Quicken Support by phone. Here is a link with the necessary contact information where you can reach out to them for your convenience:

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

I thank you for your patience as we work to resolve this problem.

Best regards,

Quicken Jared 
  • Will Fiveash
    Will Fiveash Member ✭✭✭
    I just started seeing the sync error with my BoA account as described in this thread. What appears to have fixed the issue is my changing the connection type for the account from Quicken-connect to Direct. At that point sync started working normally.
This discussion has been closed.