Password no longer required?

I just downloaded the newest Windows version and when I open Quicken it automatically goes right into Quicken. No password required. Not very safe

Answers

• Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Hi @rburk60, I completely understand your concern on this and thankfully this is a preference you can change. Here are steps and information on creating a data file password;

File passwords discourage unauthorized access to your entire Quicken data file. After you set up a file password, you can't open the file to access any of the accounts within it unless you enter the password correctly. A file password doesn't protect a file from being deleted, copied, or renamed; however, the file password remains in effect for files that are copied or renamed.

1. Choose File menu > Open Quicken File to open the data file you want to protect with a password. A file password protects only the current file so make sure that the current file is the one you want to assign the password to.
    2. Choose File menu > Set Password for this data file. There is no specific password requirement. For security purposes and to make the password stronger, we recommend the following: the password should have 8 or more characters, upper case and lower case letters (e.g. Aa), a number (e.g. 1234) and a symbol (e.g. !@#$).
    3. Enter and confirm the password. You have the options to set a custom password or use the data file without a password.
    4. Click OK. After you set up a file password, you can't open the file unless you enter the password correctly. If you cannot remember your password, click Forgot password. Quicken also offers a password removal service.

Note: A file password doesn't protect your file from being copied, deleted, or renamed. If your file is renamed or copied, the password remains in effect. 

I hope this helps!
    - Quicken Jade
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @rburk60,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and expressing your concerns.

If you wish to enter a password when opening Quicken, what you can do is set up a data file password. Please refer to this support article for instructions on how to do so.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Quicken file password only keeps your friends and family out of your data file.  Since Quicken can remove it, it is no better than the lock on your front door.  An computer hacker can get past it.
    If you want real protection from almost everyone, use a third party encrypted data vault software to keep your data file in.  Several of the anti-virus software programs provide one and there are several very good independent ones also available.  I make no recommendations of one over the other.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rburk60 said: I just downloaded the newest Windows version
    Based upon your topic title -
    does that mean your Quicken used to have a password on your data file - and now it doesn't ?

Password no longer required?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.