Quicken for Mac 2004 Upgrade to latest Version

YukonJack
YukonJack Member
I've been using Quicken for Mac 2004 for years. I recently purchased the latest Deluxe version. It seems 2004 is too old to convert directly to this new version. What are my options?

From what I've read I need to be at a minimum of Version 2007. Where can I find that version?

Any other ideas?

Thank you

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2022
    The most practical would be to start a new file and move on.

Is upgrade possible? Yes, with the correct older hardware and operating system. What Mac/OS do you have at your disposal?

And be aware that the 2007 carries a big asterisk about possible conversion. You need to answer the above first. 
  • YukonJack
    YukonJack Member
    It is a 2007 iMac running OS 10.4.11, I believe that is Tiger. I can start new but would really like to keep as much of the 20+ years of data that I have. I really didn't do anything special with it, just basic banking.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Your potential upgrade path is possible but tricky...

There are basically two versions of Quicken 2007: the original (version 16.0) version which works on operating systems up to Snow Leopard (10.6.8), and the updated version (16.1.x and 16.2.x) which works on later operating systems, from Lion (10.7) through Mojave (10.14).

The original (16.0) version can read and update a Quicken 2004 data file. The updated (16.1/16.2) version cannot. So you don't just need to find a copy of Quicken 2007, you need to find the original (16.0) version. You can sometimes find someone selling one on eBay or elsewhere -- but if the version you find says it runs on versions of macOS beyond 10.6, it's the wrong version.

I hope you can find a copy somewhere and migrate your data into the current version. And your lesson is to never use any software for 18 years without upgrading along the way. Hopefully you don't learn that lesson the hard way. :)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    There are basically two versions of Quicken 2007: the original (version 16.0) version which works on operating systems up to Snow Leopard (10.6.8), and the updated version (16.1.x and 16.2.x) which works on later operating systems, from Lion (10.7) through Mojave (10.14).
    Not that it will matter much in this scenario BUT v16.1.x and v16.2.x work on Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard also.

Also, QM2007 v16.1.x or higher can read QM2005 and QM2006 data, so those are also intermediary version that can also be used instead of QM2007 v16.0.x, though those are likely to be harder to track down.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    smayer97 said:
    Not that it will matter much in this scenario BUT v16.1.x and v16.2.x work on Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard also.
    That's true, but not relevant to the issue in this thread because 16.1 and 16.2 won't read the Quicken 2004 data file. (I was trying to avoid muddying the water with all the possible permutations, and focusing on the most straightforward path for this situation.)
    smayer97 said:
    Also, QM2007 v16.1.x or higher can read QM2005 and QM2006 data, so those are also intermediary version that can also be used instead of QM2007 v16.0.x
    Again true, but that's a more difficult path for getting from Quicken 2004 to modern Quicken Mac. With Quicken 2007 v16.0, it can read the Quicken 2004 file, save a Quicken 2007 file, and that file can be imported into Quicken Mac — so Yukon Jack can get there with just that one intermediate version. Any of the other versions you've mentioned would require obtaining two intermediate versions: either Quicken 2005 or 2006, and then Quicken 2007 (any version).

In any case, I believe Yukon Jack has located a copy of Quicken 2007 v16.0 to use, so we need not further discuss the other options.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.