Register records splits as separate transactions when transfer money between accounts

J-Skibby
J-Skibby Member ✭✭
I use splits to itemize money transfers between accounts so I can track which bills each transfer is intended to provide funds for. For example: a $1000 transfer may cover a car payment, utility bills, netflix, etc. Quicken for Mac records each split as a separation transaction in the transfer destination account, unlike Quicken for Windows that keeps all splits within one transaction entry. How do turn off Quicken for Macs auto splitting of splits into separate transaction entries? It match matching downloads and reconciling accounts painful and time consuming. I'm about to uninstall Quicken for Mac out of frustration.

I've googled for answers and I've search this database but can't find anything that shows how to turn this off. Perhaps this is not possible, which is a shame. It's a ridiculous feature.

thanks.
Tagged:

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    There's no way to change the behavior you've observed. But I'm not sure I understand the transaction you're entering. Are you trying to create a form of "envelope budgeting", with different accounts for different purposes? That is, is the $1,000 transfer being split to different accounts, e.g. $100 to Account A and $300 to Account B and so on? If so, in Account A, you'd only expect to see the $100 moved to Account A, and in Account B, you'd only expect to see the $300 moved to Account B, correct? Or are you transferring the $1,000 to one account, but splitting the $1,000 to label different amounts for different future uses? Or are you describing payment of a $1,000 credit card bill? If so, there's a better way to handle that. Help us understand what you're trying to do ad we can offer suggestions to get you there.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • J-Skibby
    J-Skibby Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    ** Or are you transferring the $1,000 to one account, but splitting the $1,000 to label different amounts for different future uses?

This is what I’m doing. I have business services that I pay for annually because the cost is less than paying monthly. I make transfer money to my business account every pay cycle and the splits let me track the breakdown. This was not an issue in Quicken for Windows. I just switched from PC to Mac. I held off doing this for years because Quicken for Max didn’t seem to rate highly. Now felt like a good time. The program is ok but the way it handles splits is ridiculous and I may have to buy a new PC laptop so I can go back to Quicken for Windows.

[Removed - Rant]
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One each of those intended destinations, within the split, are you using different TAGS? (or whatever they're called in QMac)?
    Because in QWin, using different tags on split lines WILL cause multiple results in the receiving account.
    I use this feature all the time in my mortgage escrow payments to distinguish between the Insurance component of the escrow account and the RE tax component.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    In QMac, if you have a split transaction in Account A that includes multiple transfers to Account B in different split lines, they will show up as separate transactions in Account B. This is true regardless of how the Account A split lines are tagged.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • J-Skibby
    J-Skibby Member ✭✭
    Thanks, guys. I’ll have to adjust. Using VMs won’t be a workable solution so I’ll get used to it. I don’t use tags.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that sounds like the opposite of my Windows Quicken 2013.  If you enter a split transaction and some of the categories are Transfers to the same Account  it will lump all them together and make 1 transaction in the Transfer Account.  I would like it the way it's doing splits for you.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    There is an active idea post requesting that this behavior be implemented in Quicken Mac. Add your vote and a comment to increase interest in the idea. Here’s the link:

• J-Skibby
    J-Skibby Member ✭✭
    Volvogirl, it makes things messy in the registers. One entry in the source account turns into more than one entry in the destination account. It’s impossible to match downloaded transactions. Reconciling is painful. Last night I just deleted all of the splits.
  • J-Skibby
    J-Skibby Member ✭✭
    Austin@, thanks!!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @volvogirl You can have it EITHER way in QWin.  If you use no tag, or the same tag, on multiple lines in the split ... Q will combine them into a single line in the receiving account.
    IF, however, you use different tags, then you get 1 transaction per split.  I use this for my payments into the escrow account so that I can track RE Insurance and RE Tax separately within the same account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.