How do I move Quicken Deluxe from Windows to Mac?

Pleasehelp
Pleasehelp Member ✭✭
My windows machine is dying and everything else I have is Apple. Even if I need to purchase Quicken for Mac, how can I move my twenty plus years of data to the Mac.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited January 2022
    Hello @Pleasehelp,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

If you already have an active subscription for Quicken for Windows, you will not need to purchase a separate subscription for Mac and can use your existing subscription to download and install Quicken for Mac through the download link found here.

Then, please review and follow this support article for instructions on converting from Quicken for Windows to Quicken for Mac under the section titled "Windows Conversion".

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    As noted above, if you have a current Quicken Windows subscription, you don't need to buy anything additional to use Quicken Mac; it's included in the subscription. If you're using an older version of Quicken Windows, you will need a subscription to be able to use Quicken Mac. And if you're using Quicken Windows that's older than the 2011 version, you'll need to update your Quicken Windows before you can move it it Quicken Mac. Details on this are in the links Anja posted above.

Also note that some things are not converted in the process: attachments, budgets, and saved reports do not transfer when your dat tis converted to Quicken Mac.

And Quicken Mac is more of a close cousin than an identical twin to Quicken Windows. Some things look different, some things are done differently, and there are some Quicken Windows features large and small which are not, at least at this time, present in Quicken Mac. The comparison chart on the different flavors of Quicken is a good starting place to look for features which are Windows-only, denoted by an asterisk. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Pleasehelp
    Pleasehelp Member ✭✭
    Thank you for all of your wonderful help. I do have an active subscription of Quicken Deluxe. Although I can't seem to tell which version but I think it is 2018. Will I still be able to run the Windows version on that computer as well as Mac while I'm weening my self off of the Windows machine?
    thanks,
    Ken
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Will I still be able to run the Windows version on that computer as well as Mac while I'm weening my self off of the Windows machine?
    Thank you for your response.

Yes, you can still run the Windows version on your Windows PC as well. You will just need to make sure you keep a Windows data file copy saved on your Windows device.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    @Pleasehelp I want to clarify about Quicken "years" and subscriptions. In the past, Quicken always had a new annual release each year: Quicken 2015, 2016, 2017, etc. Starting in fall 2017, they switched to subscriptions. they did still use Quicken 2018 at the start of that time, but they then dropped the year naming scheme. The current Quicken is not "Quicken 2022", it's just "Quicken". So when you say you have an active subscription for Quicken 2018, that's an oxymoron. If you purchase a Quicken subscription in 2018 but haven't renewed it since then, you don't have an active subscription; if you do have a current subscription, then you don't have Quicken 2018 any longer.

You'd definitely know if you didn't have an active subscription, because you wouldn't be able to download anything, and the right quarter of your Quicken screen would be a rather obnoxious ad/notice telling you to renew your subscription. I assume that's not the case, and you do have an active subscription. (You can go to About Quicken to see the release number as well as the expiration date of your Quicken subscription). 

And as Anja has answered above, your subscription entitles you to download and use both Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac simultaneously. It's actually great if you can run the old Windows machine alongside the new Mac so you can match account balances and holdings to make sure everything is the way it should be in Quicken Mac before you pull the plug on Quicken Windows for good. There's a bit of a learning curve going from Windows to Mac, and going from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac, so you may actually want to use both Quickens in parallel for a short time while you're getting acclimated; it'll take more time to do things twice, but it will help you learn Quicken Mac and get comfortable with it and confident in it before you stop using Quicken Windows.

You might even find it useful to import your data into Quicken Mac but just use it as a test/play file initially, so you can try making transactions and experimenting with Quicken Mac. Then, after a week or two or more, you could re-import your current Quicken Windows data into a new Quicken Mac file to start using if for real. It all depends on your comfort level, as well as if there are any significant issues requiring some clean-up in the import of your data into Quicken Mac. 
  • Pleasehelp
    Pleasehelp Member ✭✭
    Very helpful and thorough. Thank you. I am at the let's get started page after the install and confronted with buttons to check and unsure which. start from scratch, start from Quicken for Windows file, start from .QIF file exported from another application, and 3 other start from options which involve Quicken Essentials or other Mac files which I'm guessing don't apply.

Which should I select?
    thanks,
  • jacobs
    You are converting from Quicken Windows; you'd select to Start from a Quicken Windows file. You will have to have the Windows data file on your Mac to select it next. Ten Quicken will run your Quicken Windows data through it's converter and create a Quicken Mac file.
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short answer: "Start from Quicken for Windows file".

Long answer: Be sure you are following this procedure: Converting from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac (this is part of the linked instructions that Quicken Anja provided in her first post).
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Pleasehelp
    Pleasehelp Member ✭✭
    Success! I see a few items needing correction but from what I can see so far, I'm happy with the conversion. Thanks to all for your patience and the hand holding and getting me through the process. You're the best. Thanks again,
    Ken
  • jacobs
    Ken, glad to hear the conversion worked fairly well. Welcome to Quicken Mac! I'm sure you'll experience both good and bad things as you settle in and learn Quicken Mac; fortunately, there's a lot more good than bad! ;) 
This discussion has been closed.