Running Quicken Windows on an M1 Mac

Options
RickO
RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
For those who have considered getting a new M1 Mac but have not because you need to run QWin in a virtual environment or bootcamp, here's a great article summarizing the current state of affairs:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3604371/windows-10-on-m1-macs-how-it-works.html

TDLR: You can (sorta) and things are expected to improve.
Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Surprising there is no mention of CrossOver, which surprisingly already has a market ready version that runs Windows apps on M1 (with all its caveats and limitations, of course).
    https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Mark248
    Mark248 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Since it is now almost one year since last post, can anyone update current, or near future, state of the art for running Quicken Windows on Apple silicon M1 both using Parallels which still has the limitation I believe of requiring Windows Insider Preview ARM not fully supported, and also the possible option of using Crossover Wine by Codeweavers.
    I am a longtime QW user using an old Intel Mac with VM Fusion-Windows 10, and my hardware is nearing end of life and I need to make a purchase decision very soon!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what your question is. Parallels fully supports Windows 10 and Windows 11 on M1 Macs. Yes, it requires the Insider Preview ARM installation, and no one but Microsoft can tell you what the future of Windows on ARM will be. But it works now. VMWare Fusion also has a preview version which runs Windows on M1 Macs. And Crossover runs on M1 Macs, and Quicken runs on Crossover.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Mark248
    Mark248 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Thank you, you did answer my question. I did have concerns about bugs and stability of QickenWindows on either of these three platforms (VMware Fusion, Parallels, Crossover). Do you have any experience or knowledge about this?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    No, sorry, I’m strictly a Quicken Mac user. I reported what I’ve learned from reading other users’ posts on this forum, and reading about the state of VM software elsewhere.

Personally, from what I’ve read, I would pick Parallels because they seem farther ahead than the others with both their M1 implementation and integration of Windows in the Mac environment. But that’s not to say either of the others wouldn’t end up being fine. Sorry I can’t give you a first-hand experience report.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Mark248 said:
    Thank you, you did answer my question. I did have concerns about bugs and stability of QickenWindows on either of these three platforms (VMware Fusion, Parallels, Crossover). Do you have any experience or knowledge about this?
    You should move your post to the Quicken for Windows and not in Quicken for Mac section.

Parallels has a forum on this subject here: https://forum.parallels.com/forums/parallels-desktop-for-apple-silicon-m1-mac.788/

• Mark248
    Mark248 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you, I just moved thread over to the Quicken Windows side.
This discussion has been closed.