ID and password to use on computer

About 2/3 of the time Quicken requires my UserID and password to use the program on my computer. Why?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @greener333,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password 
    Keep in mind that you may continuously receive the sign-in prompt throughout this process, in which case you will need to continue closing it each time you receive the prompt until you reach the full sign-in screen.

Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @greener333,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password 
    Keep in mind that you may continuously receive the sign-in prompt throughout this process, in which case you will need to continue closing it each time you receive the prompt until you reach the full sign-in screen.

Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you use Quicken at home on a laptop or desktop PC, Ethernet-cable connected to the Internet?
    Do you use Quicken at home on a laptop that sometimes is WiFi-connected and sometimes on Ethernet cable?
    Do you use Quicken while on the road, from different WiFi connections?
    Do you use a VPN which generates different IP addresses every time you access the Internet?
    I'm trying to find out if Quicken needs to frequently verify it's you, because it sees you coming in from all over the Internet and not from a steady home IP address ...

Also please check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

• greener333
    greener333 Member ✭✭
    Interesting. Thanks for the link. I don't get all the way. I'm using McAffee and this computer doesn't seem to know about controlled folder access. I also get directed to my IT Administrator. This is my personal laptop, used on my home wifi (mostly). I have full administrator privileges and am the administrator. The first transaction in my database is 1/11/96. This signon requirement is recent. I called Quicken support and it seemed that this was the first time they had heard about it and had no answers. This computer has biometric log in and it and the browsers seem to remember every password but quicken.
  • greener333
    greener333 Member ✭✭
    trying quicken Anja's suggestion. It will take a few days to determine if this works
  • greener333
    greener333 Member ✭✭
    Tried Quicken Anja's suggestion and 2 of the last 3 Quicken sessions required logging on to quicken. Why do I need to be logged on to Quicken to enter a check that I wrote?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check McAfee to see if there are any log files showing failure messages related to Quicken. Contact McAfee Support if you need help with that.
    If the computer is connected to the network (Ethernet or WiFi), Quicken must be able to establish outgoing Internet connections. Normally, when you start Quicken, it checks the Quicken server in the background if you're "a good user". Only if something blocks the connection or there's some kind of error condition will you ever get prompted for your Quicken ID and password.
This discussion has been closed.