How do I speed up loading of quicken.

Had Quicken 2013 for years, free, and it was slow. However, just subscribed to a up rated version but it's taking up to 3 minutes to load. What can I do to speed it up?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow performance?

Please provide more details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

What is the file size, in KB, as shown by Windows File Explorer?

And I'd also like to see the "File Information" window  (See below)

Is any cloud backup software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your active Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    What is the complete path and file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

How much total RAM do you have installed? How much of the available RAM is in use? Task Manager will give you this information. 80% or higher?

What version of Windows are you running?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:
    - Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of Transactions".
    If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of Transactions" to add the column.

- File Information: Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only.

To attach the image here please review

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    First, we are running Quicken R36.38 on Windows 10 on a 10 year old 2.5 Ghz dual core CPU with 8 GB of RAM and 750 GB internal hard drive disk which we access using a remote desktop client from various locations.  Our Quicken file is about 325 MB.  Quicken opens in about 1 second and the Quicken file opens in about 10 seconds.  The first open of the day may take longer as Quicken calls home and we're a few releases back. 

To understand why Quicken is taking up to 3 minutes to load, you need to determine what resource Quicken is waiting on.  The first thing to do is take get accurate measurements.  Time how long it takes to open Quicken while pressing the Ctrl key and how long it takes to load the Quicken file.  Repeat the test a few times.  If the open or load times are significant, the first thing I would suggest is to perform a clean uninstall, install and update, and repeat the tests.  If the load time is significant, create a new temporary test Quicken file in a local folder on an internal drive with Don't use mobile and with no accounts, and repeat the tests.  This should enable you to establish a baseline for opening Quicken and the Quicken file in your environment. 

Some generic things that may improve the time it takes open your Quicken file are accessing the Quicken file in a local folder on an internal drive, minimizing the startup activity (select Edit  > Preferences... and Startup), and performing a Copy and Validate.  
  • jopavi73
    jopavi73 Member ✭✭
    I found that holding the Ctrl key reduced Quicken's opening to about 1 minute, which I can live with. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.