Transfer Matching Issue with a group of transactions (Q Mac)

Pianoman_Q
Pianoman_Q Member ✭✭
I'm having a problem with transfer matching. If I edit the category for a single transaction, Quicken will offer up a match - great. But if I sort my account register and select 2 or more otherwise identical transactions to edit the category to all be transfers to the same account (e.g., a series of bill payments to the same credit card), Quicken will not offer up the matching transactions in the matching account. This means I have to do them one-by-one instead of being able to do them all in one fell swoop. Can the transfer match feature be improved to allow this to work? Am I missing activating anything? It would really help speed up my periodic Quicken updating.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I'm having a problem with transfer matching. If I edit the category for a single transaction, Quicken will offer up a match - great. But if I sort my account register and select 2 or more otherwise identical transactions to edit the category to all be transfers to the same account (e.g., a series of bill payments to the same credit card), Quicken will not offer up the matching transactions in the matching account. This means I have to do them one-by-one instead of being able to do them all in one fell swoop. Can the transfer match feature be improved to allow this to work? Am I missing activating anything? It would really help speed up my periodic Quicken updating.
    Hello @Pianoman_Q,

I am sorry to hear about any confusion you may have experienced. Thank you for choosing to take the time to speak with us about the matching feature here on the Quicken Community.

When you are editing the category of the transaction, are you also dragging and dropping the transaction into a separate account? Editing the category may not necessarily change the location of the transaction. Are you looking for a way to move all of the transactions of a certain category at once?

I look forward to your response and hope to speak with you about this further.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Pianoman_Q If I understand correctly, you have several transactions and you want to bulk edit them so each is a Transfer to another account? This is actually easy to accomplish... once you know where to look! ;) 

Select the multiple transactions with Shift-clicking a group of contiguous transactions or Command-clicking individual transactions, and go to Transactions > Edit Transaction. In the pop-up Transaction Info window, enter the transfer in the Category field. Type "Transfer:[account name]", or just start typing and you should see a pop-up list of all your account to transfer to. Click OK, and all the transactions will be changed.

You can use this same Edit screen to mass-change any other fields in multiple transactions. There's one big caveat, though: the Edit Transaction screen works for transactions without splits, but it does not work on split lines of split transactions. (A shortcoming we hope the developers will eventually address.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Pianoman_Q
    Pianoman_Q Member ✭✭
    Thank you both @Quicken Jared and @jacobs for your responses.
    For @Quicken Jared, I do not drag and drop the transactions; I simply change them to Transfers and Quicken automatically pops up a window (if I do a single transaction) saying that it found a potential matching transfer and requesting confirmation.
    For multiple transactions, I have been doing exactly what @jacobs was recommending in his response. However, in that case, Quicken does NOT automatically pop up the matching transfer found window. So I've had to go back to undo the category changes and re-do them individually to get Quicken to identify the Matching Transfer for each transaction in the second account. (e.g., finding the payment in a credit card account that matches the bill payment I just recategorized in my bank account). That is the situation I was hoping could be addressed - that Quicken would find multiple matching transactions to match the multiple category changes to transfers considering they're all from the same bank account to the same credit card account.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you both @Quicken Jared and @jacobs for your responses.
    For @Quicken Jared, I do not drag and drop the transactions; I simply change them to Transfers and Quicken automatically pops up a window (if I do a single transaction) saying that it found a potential matching transfer and requesting confirmation.
    For multiple transactions, I have been doing exactly what @jacobs was recommending in his response. However, in that case, Quicken does NOT automatically pop up the matching transfer found window. So I've had to go back to undo the category changes and re-do them individually to get Quicken to identify the Matching Transfer for each transaction in the second account. (e.g., finding the payment in a credit card account that matches the bill payment I just recategorized in my bank account). That is the situation I was hoping could be addressed - that Quicken would find multiple matching transactions to match the multiple category changes to transfers considering they're all from the same bank account to the same credit card account.
    Hello @Pianoman_Q,    

I do appreciate your continued patience in discussing this with us, and I am sorry for any confusion you may have experienced.

To be clear, the 'pop up' menu would say Transaction Info up at the top. You're saying this is not appearing? Be sure that none of the transactions being selected are line items of split transactions. I would recommend saving a backup by going to File > Save a Backup in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open, and then sign out of Quicken by going to Quicken > Sign Out in the same menu. You will then sign back in with your QuickenID and password when prompted.

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to any updates you may be able to provide.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Quicken Jared I' trying to understand why you have suggested signing out and back in?

The question @Pianoman_Q is asking is whether he can bulk edit transactions into transfers and have them auto-match to existing transactions in the other account. I didn't reply because I haven't ever done this, but I'm fairly sure the answer is simply that things are working as designed. The auto-match of a downloaded transaction to a manual transaction happens one at a time as part of that process; I wouldn't expect that if I edited 5 transactions to be transfers into Account X, that Quicken would then ask me whether to accept auto-matches for each of 5 existing transactions in Account X. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Pianoman_Q
    Pianoman_Q Member ✭✭
    I also expected it was working as designed, but thought it might not be unreasonable for it to come back asking one-at-a-time if the matches it finds are correct. If that sounds unreasonable, then I'm fine. I just thought it could be helpful if the option could be available.
    I also did not understand the suggestion to sign out/in...
  • @Pianoman_Q,

Thank you for coming to the Community with your questions and ideas. 

We do have a place here in the Community where you can submit Product Enhancements and Ideas. You can use the provided link to get there. Once you create your Idea Post don't forget to vote on it!

Thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

This discussion has been closed.