Reporting by category - Charity - Amount vs Payment

Options
JW767
JW767 Member
edited March 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I'm struggling with what should be an easy report.

I run a Charity category event for all of 2021 and the amounts do not line up. Some entries in the register have the contribution in the Amount column, and others are in the Payment column (where they should be).

These entries were entered correctly when they were initially documented. Why are the amounts in different columns?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    OK, in Windows, it sounds like you may be using a saved report. Exactly what steps do you use to get to the report you are using?

I would start with the built-in report at Reports > Spending > Itemized Categories.
    Set the date range you want.
    Click the gear to customize the report, click on the Categories tab, and select just the appropriate category.
    Click on Update to show and pick Transaction detail.

Or for a somewhat simpler path, you could go to Reports > EasyAnswer and click on How much did I spend on... then set the date range and the category.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Which report are you seeing this on? So far I haven't been able to duplicate.

I will note that different account types use the Payment column differently. For example, if I write a check to a charity, the amount shows up in both the Payment column and the Amount column in the checking account register (if I turn on both of those columns). But if I make a donation to a charity using my credit card it will only show up in the Amount column in the credit card register - the Payment column in credit cards is used for recording payments to the account.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• JW767
    JW767 Member
    Options
    Custom report > Category > Year 2021.

Accounts are a credit card & checking account. I've not been able to isolate the mixups to one account or another.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    When I run a category report I only get a single column of numbers. There aren't separate Amount and Payment columns.

You aren't on Windows by any chance?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• JW767
    JW767 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm on Windows and I'm in the wrong forum. Apologies, can you either move this or redirect me to the correct location?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    OK, in Windows, it sounds like you may be using a saved report. Exactly what steps do you use to get to the report you are using?

I would start with the built-in report at Reports > Spending > Itemized Categories.
    Set the date range you want.
    Click the gear to customize the report, click on the Categories tab, and select just the appropriate category.
    Click on Update to show and pick Transaction detail.

Or for a somewhat simpler path, you could go to Reports > EasyAnswer and click on How much did I spend on... then set the date range and the category.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

In a credit card account register, we may view the Charge, Payment, and Amount columns.  In checking account register, we may view the Payment, Deposit, and Amount columns.  We may choose which columns are viewed by opening the register, pressing Ctrl + Shift + N, select Register columns..., checking the desired columns, and selecting Done

Note: It may appear confusing but Charge in the credit card account register is equivalent to Payment in the checking account register and Payment in the credit card account register is equivalent to Deposit in the checking account register.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Jon said: When I run a category report I only get a single column of numbers.
    There aren't separate Amount and Payment columns.
    Exactly what Report are you running .... what report are you chosing from the menu path ---> Reports --> ?
    Custom report > Category > Year 2021.
    I have my "charity" report customized from the basic builtin spending by category reports - all only have "Amount"

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• JW767
    JW767 Member
    Options
    To answer an earlier question. I'm running Win v R38.29 Build 27.1.38.29

A minor, side question (maybe I should do a different thread?)

In my credit card register, at the bottom I have "Online Balance" and "Ending Balance". The Online is correct and accurately reflects what my bank says. (I pay off the ccard every month). I don't understand what the "Ending Balance" means or where the amount associated with this is derived. Thoughts?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "I don't understand what the "Ending Balance" means or where the amount associated with this is derived."
    The Ending Balance number comes directly off your register and reflects the Account's balance as of the last transaction in the register.  If you have "future dated" transactions, e.g., you've entered a future payment against the credit card in your checking Account, then the Ending Balance will reflect that future payment.  You can see an example of that here:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Here's another example with - Ending Balance - as explained above by @Tom Young
    Notice Online Balance matches the amount of the account without the future payment.... as you observed.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looking at this in a checking account is easier to see it because instead of the Credit remaining number you have both the current and the ending balance numbers to look at if they are different.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said: Looking at this in a checking account is easier to see ....

What are the "85 transactions" on the far left in your screen shot -
    I don't think I have that showing in any of my Registers - as per my screen grab ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ps56k2 said:
    Chris_QPW said: Looking at this in a checking account is easier to see ....

What are the "85 transactions" on the far left in your screen shot -
    I don't think I have that showing in any of my Registers - as per my screen grab ?

Try making you Quicken window bigger.  If you don't give it enough space the first amount that gets cut off is the number of transactions in the register.  The account I posted the screenshot of is quite new and that is why it only has 85 transactions in it.

And note if you filter or select more than one transaction you get this instead:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:  Try making you Quicken window bigger. 
    tnx - full screen made it appear -
    I usually run Quicken, like most of my screens, about 3/4 of the screen real estate,
    so I can see some other widgets that are running...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.