Total of items selected by Memo/Notes?

JohntheEditor
JohntheEditor Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Reports (Mac)
I need to obtain a total of all transactions associated with a particular travel event. Although most of the transactions are naturally categorized as "Travel," there are also Cash transactions for incidental expenses, Pets expenses for the sitter, and so on, paid by different accounts. So to quickly find all the transactions for a single travel event, regardless of account, I give each transaction a unique code in the Memo/Notes field, such as "CA*" for California.

Unfortunately, when I filter All Transactions by the code, the transactions appear without a total. Moreover, I can't seem to create a custom report that can quickly select the same transactions. Seems to me the easiest way to meet my needs would be for the main Quicken window to automatically display the total of all the selected transactions in the view—but it doesn't do that.

What's the easiest way to solve my problem? I'm using Quicken Deluxe 6.5.3 under Mac OS 12.2. TIA.

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Filter the transaction in one of the group registers as you have been doing. You will not see a running balance because group registers do not allow that column. However, if you look directly under the search box, top right, you should see a small notation "XX matches ($nnn.nn)".

Going forward, instead of notating in the memo field, you really should use Tags to mark the related transaction. That's really what tags are meant for. If you use tags, then you will be able to use the full power of the reporting engine to filter and sort by them in all kinds of reports.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Filter the transaction in one of the group registers as you have been doing. You will not see a running balance because group registers do not allow that column. However, if you look directly under the search box, top right, you should see a small notation "XX matches ($nnn.nn)".

Going forward, instead of notating in the memo field, you really should use Tags to mark the related transaction. That's really what tags are meant for. If you use tags, then you will be able to use the full power of the reporting engine to filter and sort by them in all kinds of reports.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • @RickO You're right: I see the notation. I use Dark Mode, and it appears in faint gray over black, which is how I missed it before.

Thanks for the tip about tags. I hardly use them in any app and my thinking just doesn't gravitate to them. I'll make the switch.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @JohntheEditor One additional thing to note: if you create a filtered register as discussed above, you can Print that register as a report, and the report will contain a total of inflows, outflows, and a grand total at the end. No need to squint at gray-on-black type in dark mode! ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    But be aware that a filtered register gives you totals of the transactions. If the lines you are interested in are on split lines, the register will not add just the split lines but the entire transaction value.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    And there are still valid reasons to use the memo field to track certain things, so what is STILL lacking is the reporting capability filtered on the Memo field.

Be sure to add your vote to the following IDEA post:

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• @smayer97 I've upvoted that IDEA post. Thanks for linking to it.
This discussion has been closed.