Investment Holdings

maebknot
maebknot Member
edited March 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I'm being told by technical support that the reason i can no longer view Historic and Recent Performance under Investment/Holdings (only shows Value) is the option was removed with the last update. I don't see any mention of that in the last two release notes. That seems like a really bad idea.

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I continue to see my full list of portfolio views in R38.29. Sounds like whoever you talked to (are you sure it was genuine Quicken Support?) was mistaken.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think you are talking about two different things.  @maebknot is talking about the Holding in the investment register, and @Rocket J Squirrel you are talking about the Portfolio on the Investing tab.

When I look at the one in the investment register, I only see Value.  I'm on R38.26.
    Personally, I have never found that view to be worth much, and have always used the Portfolio on the Investing tab.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also only see the Value selection in the account Holdings view. I use that frequently to get a summary of the current holdings, share counts, and balances in an account and seldom if ever used the other selections. As @Rocket J Squirrel points out, all the information is available in the Portfolio views, but I can't imagine why Quicken would have removed the other selections. If there is only one choice, why not remove the whole control?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I also only see the Value selection in the account Holdings view. I use that frequently to get a summary of the current holdings, share counts, and balances in an account and seldom if ever used the other selections. As @Rocket J Squirrel points out, all the information is available in the Portfolio views, but I can't imagine why Quicken would have removed the other selections. If there is only one choice, why not remove the whole control?
    Given how little "love" this feature has been given over the years they would be better off removing it (the whole holding view).
    For years people have request that when you set the column widths Quicken should remember them, but this never been done.
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the correction. This indeed is missing from Holdings in R38.29 but continues to work in R37.67. I'm keeping my production machine on R37.67 until at least some of the R38 bugs are ironed out.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Personally I find the Value portion of the Holdings view very useful, even though it can't be printed and the column widths are not sticky. It provides a quick overview of what is in the account, without having to customize a Portfolio view. The other other selections in that view (gone now), not so much.

IIRC the Single Mutual Fund setting in the Account Attributes section at the bottom of the page is the only place you can change an account back to SMF from Brokerage. So unless they provide another place to do that, I would not be in favor of removing or "updating" the view.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We're still at R36.38, where we have:

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    We're still at R36.38, where we have:

Interesting.  Note I tried this in a new data file, and still only got Value.
    Signature:
  • Jim_Harman
    I am running 38.29 on an old file and it has only Value.
  • basegad
    basegad Member ✭✭
    I often switch between the Value and Recent Performance views. If Quicken is going to take away these views, at least give us the ability to customize the columns on the Account Overview so that it is usable. I don't like using the Investing tab since it's harder/slower to sort and focus on a single account at a time.
  • I would like to add my complaint that RECENT PERFORMANCE is now missing, what happened..???
  • cmarshall52
    cmarshall52 Member ✭✭
    Glad to know I'm not the only one. I use the Holdings screen regularly and am dismayed to know that the performance options have been removed.
  • glenn.hout
    glenn.hout Member ✭✭✭
    The latest Quicken release R38.29, Build 27.1.38.29 for Windows has a bug that has now removed "Recent Performance" and "Historic Performance" from the Investment Holdings window. Only current "Value" is available from the Show: dropdown any longer. This is a bug, not a feature. I opened a backup file from a month ago and validated that it also has the same issue with the current release. The feature worked perfectly just before the last release, as I use this feature multiple times each week. Quicken needs to fix this bug in the next release. "Recent Performance" is so incredibly important for portfolio and holding decisioning on what to keep, sell or rebalance in your portfolio.
  • Jim_Harman
    Not to disagree with any of the comments here, but I just want to point out that you can also see recent or historic performance for one or more of your investing accounts by going to Investing > Portfolio and picking Recent Performance. 

With the Portfolio views, you can customize the view to choose accounts, securities, and groupings. You can also add, remove, and rearrange columns, adjust column widths, print, export, and more.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just observations.
    1. Given how this appears, I would certainly say this is a bug.  And a strange one to pop up in section that seemly hasn't been changed in many years.
    2. My earlier remarks about getting rid of it were mostly out of the frustration with a feature that obviously has needed work for years and never got any attention.  The real proper action would be to fix it all.
    3. Changing of from/to "Single mutual fund account" is on the Account Details dialog, not on the Overview window.
    4. The "Holdings view" is the Account Overview.  You can't "fixe the Account Overview" and get rid of the "Holding view".  The only difference between the two is hitting the Holdings button to open it or using the gear menu/shortcut.
    Signature:
  • Jim_Harman
    edited February 2022
    "The "Holdings view" is the Account Overview. You can't "fix the Account Overview" and get rid of the "Holding view". The only difference between the two is hitting the Holdings button to open it or using the gear menu/shortcut."

As I see it, "Holdings" is a section of the Account Overview. The terminology would be more consistent if the button were labeled "Account Overview" instead of Holdings.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what is worth, I believe at one time the "Holdings view" was exactly that, a "view", as instead of seeing your transactions you saw the holdings.  Then at some point they decided to get rid of the view and just display the Account Overview window.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This has been fixed in R38.30:

Signature:
  • Jim_Harman
    Chris_QPW said:

I am glad to see that the other options in the Holdings view (aka Account Overview) have been restored.

The wording in the release notes left me totally confused. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:

The wording in the release notes left me totally confused. 
    Hmm seemed clear to me.   ;)

Now what I do find confusing is the actual view/window because of it its history.

When one clicks on the Holdings button, one expects a view not a window.  As in the register to be replaced with the Holdings view.  This was what it did a long time ago.

Instead, you get the Overview window, with just the top of that window being the Holdings.

I know why they made the change like this, but this just one of those examples of doing the laziest job you can.  The original complaint was that view didn't allow you to resize the columns and it wouldn't remember the sizes.

Their first "attempt" at this was getting rid of the view and just displaying the overview.  But that window didn't allow remembering the size of the window or the columns.  They eventually fixed remembering the size of the of the window, but never the columns.

I really shouldn't have even suggested that this window should go away, but they amount of bad programming in over the years just rubs me the wrong way as a programmer.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.