How to exclude a transaction by a tag

nc00ks0n
nc00ks0n Member ✭✭
When transactions have multiple tags, for instance A:B:C, or A:B, how can one exclude those transactions having tag C while including other transactions having tag set to A or B and not C?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Try specifying ~C in the Tags tab of the report customization. The tilde specifies negation.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Quicken does not have a direct way to select tags as you describe. [edit - not correct, see below]

One thing you might do is use the Tags tab in the report customization to select tags A and B. This report will include all the transactions that have Tag A or B, including those that also have tag C.

Then export the report to Excel or Google Sheets and filter out all the rows that include tag C.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    Try specifying ~C in the Tags tab of the report customization. The tilde specifies negation.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

EDIT:
    Never mind, I got home and tested it ~C does work.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    I think the C selection on the left is not necessary.

Also I tried an experiment and it turns out the second column on the Tags tab does an AND function, so with A and B selected on the left and  ~C in the Tag contains section, it does the selection ( A OR B ) AND NOT C

Pretty cool, eh?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think the C selection on the left is not necessary.

Also I tried an experiment and it turns out the second column on the Tags tab does an AND function, so with A and B selected on the left and  ~C in the Tag contains section, it does the selection ( A OR B ) AND NOT C

Pretty cool, eh?
    Neat!
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Yes, I tested it before posting. Start with this register:

Run a Transaction report:
    Customize as shown:
    See the resulting new report:

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:

Have you tested this?

I’m away from my computer so I can’t test it, but it is my understanding that @Jim_Harman this would be impossible.
    Not because you can’t deselect C, but because the test for tags is always OR and since A and B are on the transaction it is going to be selected whenever either of those are selected in the tags.

In other words the test would be A OR B OR not C.
    If we uncheck the tag for C,  A:B:C is not filtered.   Transactions tagged only with C are filtered.
    If we set ~C, A:B:C is filtered.  Transactions with C are filtered.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    If you guys had been a little faster on the draw, you would have saved me a lot of copy & pasting. o:)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you guys had been a little faster on the draw, you would have saved me a lot of copy & pasting. o:)
    I'm sorry, I should have just trusted that you would have tested before posting!

So, I learned two things today.   ;)
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited February 2022
    Chris_QPW said:
    I should have just trusted that you would have tested before posting!
    Perhaps the wording of my original reply was too wishy-washy. These days, I advise users to "try" something. Quicken has gotten so squirrely (heh) that a procedure which works for some might not work for others. I rarely have 100% confidence in anything anymore.
    Also the wording of the Customize Tags tab could easily be made clearer: instead of just "Matching" it could say "And Matching" or similar and we'd all know what it meant.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    BTW if I had thought about it some more the text boxes have to be AND.

If you had Memo contains XXXX as OR, that would defeat whatever the category/payee/tag was being selected.
    Like:
    Tag Y, Memo contains XXXX if it was OR you would get transactions only the memo XXXX matched which would defeat even being on the tag customize tab.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.