how do i remove a deposit when it would of been a payment?

RodOlson
RodOlson Member
Entered payment as deposit, now i can not delete the deposit!

Answers

• Hi @RodOlson,

Thank you for contacting the Community with this question. 

You should be able to delete the deposit just as you would a normal transaction and then create a new transaction as a payment. 

Here are some instructions on how to delete a transaction:
    1. Click to select one or more transactions.
      • You can select multiple transactions at once by using ⌘ + click (to select one-at-a-time) or shift + click to select a range.
    2. In Quicken, choose Transactions > Delete Transaction, or just hit the Delete key on your keyboard.
    • If the transaction was downloaded from a financial institution, Quicken asks you to confirm the deletion.
    I have also included a link to a support article that discusses deleting transactions:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/mac/how-do-i-void-or-delete-transaction

I hope you find this to be of use. 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Why can't you delete the deposit? Is this a manual transaction you entered, or an online bill payment?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RodOlson
    RodOlson Member
    I did delete the transaction but when I reentered the transaction as a payment and hit enter quicken put the transaction in as a deposit??
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    In your Quicken register, do you have the Amount column? Or do you have it showing separate Payment and Deposit columns?

I'm guessing you have Amount showing? In a checking account, a deposit is a positive Amount, and you're seeing it as a negative Amount? You should be able to edit the transaction, and in the Amount field, type a plus sign where there's currently a minus sign, and save the transaction. Does that fix it? 

(As for why Quicken is choosing a positive or negative number, what Category are you using for this transaction? If you're using a Category defined as an expense, Quicken will make the Amount value negative when you enter it, and you need to type a plus sign to tell Quicken it's money coming in.)

I prefer to have my registers set to hide the Amount column and show the Payment and Deposit column. (These columns have different names, depending on the type of account, but there are always a paid available for money in and money out.) This way, I don't have to worry about missing a plus sign or minus sign; I just put the money n the appropriate column. Some users don't want to give up the screen space for two columns instead of one, and that's fine; I'm just offering this as an alternative if you sometimes have problem with transactions going the wrong way.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.