Quicken does not recognize existing Fidelity ETF and wants to add as new security

Flashgolfer
Flashgolfer Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Investing (Windows)
This is an old closed item, but it still exists and needs to be addressed. I am using Windows 11 and R38.29 and this error started in January. "When downloading some investment transactions, Quicken does not recognize existing securities and wants to add it as a new security. I get a box asking to match it to an existing security, but the list does not include the security, even though it is already in Quicken. If I try to add it, it is flagged as already existing. "
I have unchecked the match online box, looked at the compare function and nothing works. HOW IN THE WORLD do I fix this?

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    What brokerage - and what is the ETF symbol ?
    Also - what does this existing ETF look like in the Quicken Security List ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Flashgolfer
    Flashgolfer Member ✭✭
    It is TD Ameritrade and the ETF is Fidelity MSCI Real Estate Index. It looks like this:
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change the Security Type from Market Index to Stock, Mutual Fund, or something else. I’d go for the MF. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For reference, "Market Index" as a security type is for actual indexes like the S&P 500, not for index funds or ETFs. Quicken does not permit you to hold any shares of a Market Index type security. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Flashgolfer
    Flashgolfer Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback....I changed the Type to Mutual Fund and allowed Quicken to download asset class and now Quicken sees the security. So the issue is resolved. Thanks again- FlashGolfer
  • allen_car
    allen_car Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the answer. :) I had changed some market index ETF's to "Market Index" along with some other Custom Security Types so that I could evaluate how my investments were performing by Security Types. Only one of the ETF's that I changed to "Market Index" type caused a missing security problem; the other 4 ETF's worked perfectly. They probably would cause a problem the next time a dividend or transaction was downloaded. The easy solution was just rename a Custom Type to MarketIndex ETF and the problem was eliminated.
This discussion has been closed.