Am I now downloading PENDING billpay transactions I manually entered at bank ?

mellex
mellex Member
Ok bear with me:
Bill pay/transactions have always gone like this: I go to my bank and set up my bills to be paid. Some weeks in advance. Then I go to quicken and simply log those in the register (just like with a paper checkbook register). Every few days I'll do an update to download transactions and ONLY the transactions that have cleared would download.

NOW -- I enter transactions in the register (including forward dating them if they are to happen later) but when I update (download transactions) *now they all download right away AND WORSE -- WITH TODAY'S DATE...so A) it effs up my register in terms of balances cuz the dates are all wrong and B) it often ends up with TWO entries -- the one I put in and the one it downloaded*.

SO basically Quicken changed some setting FOR me?? I have no idea what nor how to get back to my old, simple way of paying my bills, logging it in the register, and ONLY having them download when I update IF they have cleared. Not when they are "scheduled" (which is what I believe they seem to be doing).

Can anyone guide me to fixing? Phone wait times are craze long and just now when I got thru, I got disconnected immediately. :(

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    What version - ... Help --> About Quicken
    What bank ?
    Also - depending on the bank, you might be able to enter those manual bank bill payments directly thru Quicken.
    And.... there might have been some changes to Quicken, that are now downloading PENDING transactions.
    [EDIT] - lastly, updated the topic title in case that better reflects what is happening

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mellex
    mellex Member
    Version R36.48 windows 10
    Topic isn't quite right. I set up billpay at my bank. Then I go into quicken and manually enter those transactions with the date of payment -- some may be tomorrow, some may be a week from now. But when go in later and I hit "update now" to download any cleared transactions, I get all those scheduled ones even though they haven't happened yet AND the go into quicken with TODAY'S date, not the date they are due to go. Sometimes they replace the ones I manually entered, sometimes they duplicate. Either way, coming in with TODAY'S date messes up the balance in my register as if all those transactions CLEARED today.

I don't want Quicken downloading anything that hasn't cleared yet. That's how I've always done it: Bill pay via my bank site/schedule payments, then go into quicken and log them all so I know what we have and what's coming, then when doing a transaction update (download), payments ONLY download once they have cleared. That's what I want to get back to. What settings did quicken change on my behalf that I don't want? I cannot find anything.

I don't want to enter the payments directly through quicken. I want to do it as I have always done it (rather than how quicken apparently wants me to do it.) So how do I get back
    I don't know if that clarifies.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    What bank - ?
    and this new Alert may not apply to your situation - since you are running the older R36.xx version ...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mellex
    mellex Member
    It's a local bank called People's Bank. I just updated cuz I got thru to support and they said to update it. Maybe this was it. This still sounds like they automatically download pending and if you don't want that, is there a way to disable it?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    mellex said: It's a local bank called People's Bank.
    I just wanted to check what the Bank's features were - but there are over a dozen "Peoples Bank" -
    So - what is the exact name for the Quicken Account you setup for your - Peoples Bank ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mellex
    mellex Member
    Oh sorry -- yeah, it's the Holyoke MA one. Thanks so much for your help!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the info - and they do support the Bank Bill Payment directly from Quicken - I happen to use Chase to do that...
    You might look at the top of the Register - and see what "protocol" is being used... Direct or Express Web Connect ?
    03293    03293    03293    PeoplesBank - Holyoke MA
    https://www.bankatpeoples.com/home/home    413-538-9500   
    https://secure.myvirtualbranch.com/bankatpeoples/SignIn.aspx    ACTIVE
    BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO,PAYMENT&DIRECT   
    BANKING&WEB-CONNECT        
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mellex
    mellex Member
    Okay. But I don't want them to use bill pay direct from quicken...how do I stop that? I'm not understanding what settings to change basically.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Go into the Account Details -> Online Services.  You can turn it off there.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mellex said: Ok. But I don't want them to use bill pay direct from quicken...
    Sorry - didn't mean to confuse you -
    I was merely sharing that you could use it if you wanted to ... not that you ARE using it now.
    And it could save you the double entry. 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.