Investments register buttons of no use...

Good afternoon,
Lately a new problem appeared in my investments registers. The buttons Enter, Edit and Delete are not working properly. I have to click somewhere else in the register and then the window "do you want to save" appears. I have done a QCleanUI to resolve other problems (which didn't work...)and had to reset all my preferences. Somehow, I didn't find this one. And also, the CTRL+Enter key doesn't work in the investment register...
I know a lot about Quicken since I started to use it in 1991.
Thanks for your help
Danielle

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version and what build of Quicken?  Sometimes issues like these relate to specific updates.
  • Danielle Dallaire
    Danielle Dallaire Member ✭✭✭
    This is what you asked for. Canada version.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen odd behavior for the Enter, Edit, Delete buttons when the "Row Height" setting is Standard or Comfortable.  Behavior is as if only the bottom portion of the button is active.  My normal setting row setting is Compact which does not seem to show that sensitivity. 

It might be that other display settings are also a factor.  (Beyond my scope of expertise.)  
  • Danielle Dallaire
    Right now, I am in standard. Compact takes too much out of the Security names. So you say to try to clic the bottom of the button ? I will try that. Thanks !
    Danielle
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Good afternoon,
    Lately a new problem appeared in my investments registers. The buttons Enter, Edit and Delete are not working properly. I have to click somewhere else in the register and then the window "do you want to save" appears. I have done a QCleanUI to resolve other problems (which didn't work...)and had to reset all my preferences. Somehow, I didn't find this one. And also, the CTRL+Enter key doesn't work in the investment register...
    I know a lot about Quicken since I started to use it in 1991.
    Thanks for your help
    Danielle
    I never enter transactions from the register in the investment accounts, I always use Enter Transactions, so I'm certainly not an expert on this, but I did do some testing.  Note that Ctrl+Enter doesn't work if you aren't in this mode, you need to use Enter.

First off, I'm not seeing the button problem in any "Row Height" setting.
    Also, I tried setting the "Use enter key to move between fields" setting and Enter moves between the fields just fine for me, and Ctrl+Enter saves the transaction fine too.  This is different than in non-investment accounts where Ctrl+Enter works in both modes.

From your description this sound more like a "focus" problem than anything else.  This is where you believe that the focus is on one control, but in reality, the focus is on some other control.  This can cause all kinds of weird behavior.

The investment register is a complicated mix of different controls.  Over the years I have notice many focus problems in the investment accounts.  Lately though it does seem like they have cleaned up most of them.  The fact that you are using the Canadian version and it almost a year behind in updates, might factor into this.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Row Height issue -- The pics are with row height set to Comfortable.  In the first pic, the cursor is well within the button but the icon is the arrow indicating the button is not selected.   If I drop the cursor a pixel, the icon switches correctly to the hand.  In the second pic the cursor is well below the button but shows the hand icon indicating the button is selected.  

The discrepancy is less obvious with a Standard row height and non-existent with a Compact setting.  It is as if the interpreted button location is always 'bottomed' in the field while the GUI presents it centered or topped in the field.

(Sorry for the camera photo-technique.  Not sure how to snip a screen shot that include the cursor.)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @q_lurker I see what you mean now, and I do see the same thing on my machine.

And I think I understand what is going on.

We always assume that the button and "focus region" will be overlapped.  And generally, it will be for the simple fact that they will be using a button control that manages all of that.

Clearly though what they are doing is using their own custom images of a button, and the focus region is actually the control/space behind it.  And what has happened is that instead of painting the button where that focus region it (at the bottom of the space) they have painted it at the top, and because of the size of the focus region and the size of the button they just barely overlap in the middle.
    Signature:
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet somehow I don’t think this is really @Danielle Dallaire’s problem, because the Standard row height is closer to being mapped right. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    Yet somehow I don’t think this is really @Danielle Dallaire’s problem, because the Standard row height is closer to being mapped right. 
    I agree, it sounds more like a generic problem where focus isn't on the right control.

They have been fighting such problems for years, and I have seen them make some good progress on this.  And it is very possible that this is a "Canadian version only" problem at this point.
    Signature:
  • Danielle Dallaire
    I have checked if the cursor is an arrow or a hand. It seems that in standard mode, almost all the Enter button is with a hand. So I guess it is a problem that will come and go. For now it is working. But for how long ?
    Thanks to all of you for pitching in.
    Danielle
This discussion has been closed.