Community Website - Stay Signed In

Please modify your authentication mechanisms to allow the community user to stay signed in.
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    If you're talking about accessing the Community website from your browser, the "stay signed in" process depends on settings saved in your browser.
    Do you clear cookies and history every time you exit your browser?
    Does your browser save and autofill logins and passwords?
    What is your bookmarked URL for the Community website? https://community.quicken.com or (IMHO better) https://community.quicken.com/discussions ?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah - it all depends on your Browser....
    and sometimes the Forum may clear things and require a Login - but not very often

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    Do you clear cookies and history every time you exit your browser?
    No. (Chrome)

Does your browser save and autofill logins and passwords?
    Yes

What is your bookmarked URL for the Community website?
    https://community.quicken.com

See answers above.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2022
    It's been my observation that the forum automatically logs users off after roughly a week of non-use on a device. I access the forum on a desktop computer, laptop computer and phone. I was recently away from home for a week and my desktop computer was logged out when I returned; my phone is sometimes logged out when I don't use it for the forum for awhile. I've never tried to measure exactly how long the period of inactivity is before you're logged off, but it feels like it's somewhere around 7-10 days. This is a set by a cookie in your browser created by the website, not the user. (I can see 7 cookies this site creates in my browser, but I don't know if there's a way to read/decode/understand what each cookie does.)  I also don't know if the length of inactivity until logoff time is something set by Quicken or by the website platform (Vanilla Forums), and whether it's configurable by th Quicken folks.  
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    I can see 7 cookies this site creates in my browser, but I don't know if there's a way to read/decode/understand what each cookie does.
    Only 7?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Seven was for "community.quicken.com"; there are 20 others for "quicken.com". But since these cookies are for this web page, I suppose I should be counting all the "quicken.com" ones for this site as well? In any case, I don't know if there's a way to determine what each cookie does.

Four are Session cookies (they expire as soon as my session ends), one expires in a few minutes, two expire tomorrow, 13 expire a week from today, 2 expire on the 17th (in 9 days), one expires in August, two expire September 1, one expires two years from today, and one expires December 31, 2099 (the only one I understand: a cookie to flag if I am a first-time visitor). 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Not that is matters much, but in fact they might not be using cookies for this.
    These days a lot more is done on the servers to record "user states" than as in the past.

I agree with there is definitely a "time aspect" to this.  And I think that it is even more than an "inactivity" timer.  There seems to be an even longer one that just kicks off from time to time, like once a month or maybe more that forces a login.

So, in reality the very first question that was missed for @Cris Williams is, do you have to log in every time?

That shouldn't be happening.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/