Date the Split Transaction Disaster Occurred

jharris5
jharris5 Member ✭✭
Please tell me how far back i need to go to restore a backup from before Quicken corrupted all my split transactions going back years?
Then, I will attempt to reconstruct all activity that has occurred since that debacle.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    [Edited to make corrections in italics below.]
    If the problem you are seeing started after updating your Quicken to R39.17 or R39.21 and you are now on R39.23:  Restore your last R38.30 backup file.  Which date that is would depend on when you updated to R39.17 or R39.21 but if you do not know that then restore your 3/3/22 backup file since I think R39.17 did not get released until 3/4/22 go to where your back-up files are and look for "R38.30" in the backup file name.  That would be the last R38.30 backup file before you upgraded (Quicken automatically makes a backup file when updating the version and inserts the version being updated in the backup file name).

If you are not running R39.23, I suggest you either update to it or revert to R38.30 before restoring that backup file.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    [Edited to make corrections in italics below.]
    If the problem you are seeing started after updating your Quicken to R39.17 or R39.21 and you are now on R39.23:  Restore your last R38.30 backup file.  Which date that is would depend on when you updated to R39.17 or R39.21 but if you do not know that then restore your 3/3/22 backup file since I think R39.17 did not get released until 3/4/22 go to where your back-up files are and look for "R38.30" in the backup file name.  That would be the last R38.30 backup file before you upgraded (Quicken automatically makes a backup file when updating the version and inserts the version being updated in the backup file name).

If you are not running R39.23, I suggest you either update to it or revert to R38.30 before restoring that backup file.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    @Boatnmaniac , the challenge with the accuracy of the 3/3 date is that the release notes indicate R39.17 to be a Feb release.
    Yet the release announcement says 3/4 as you pointed out.  Is it possible that some users were updated in Feb?
    [edited to make clarifications]
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Boatnmaniac
    BK said:
    @Boatnmaniac , the challenge with the accuracy of the 3/3 date is that the release notes indicate R39.17 to be a Feb release.
    Yet the release announcement says 3/4 as you pointed out.  Is it possible that some users were updated in Feb?
    [edited to make clarifications]
    Hmmm...I had assumed the 3/4 release announcement date was the date it was actually released.  I should have looked at the actual release information.  Unfortunately, that does not give a specific Feb date.  So, yes, I think it is possible that some users might have updated from R38.30 prior to 3/3.  Good catch.  Thanks for pointing this out.
    @jharris5 - Please disregard the 3/3 date I provided above.  It might be inaccurate.  Instead, I suggest you look through your backup files to see which one has "R38.30" in it.  Quicken now automatically generates a backup file whenever the version is updated and it inserts the version being upgraded from in the file name...as highlighted in yellow here:

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think the 3/4/2022 date is pretty accurate.  Maybe a day or so off.  They made the download available quite quickly and I downloaded it as soon as it was available on 3/4/2022.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Chris_QPW said:
    I think the 3/4/2022 date is pretty accurate.  Maybe a day or so off.  They made the download available quite quickly and I downloaded it as soon as it was available on 3/4/2022.
    You might be right but I've seen at least a couple of people post that restoring the 3/3 backup file did not resolve the transfer and paycheck corruption issues.  The Moderators have been a little slow in posting version update announcements the last couple of months so it is possible that the 3/4 date was posted later than when some people were being staged with R39.17.
    To be safe I think it is best to look for that "R38.30" in the backup file name.  If people were updating from R38.30 by late Feb then a 3/3/22 backup file date would be for R39.17, not R38.30, and whatever corruption R39.17 might have caused would then be in that file.  The "R38.30" file would not have that corruption in it.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac good point.  I would also point out that I didn't see corruption in my data file until I did a Validate and Repair.  So, after restoring a data file I would do that to first to make sure there isn't any errors in it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭

To be safe I think it is best to look for that "R38.30" in the backup file name. 
    Agree.  Although I think we all believe 3/4 was the approx date, we should consider the inconsistency.  So if the user does not have the "R38.30.QDF-backup" file for some reason, then I would suggest selecting a late Feb backup file date - just to be very safe and avoid repeat frustrations.

• Glen Raggio
    Glen Raggio Member ✭✭✭
    I, too, had a problem with 39.17. It seems that my paycheck salary and splits doubled. After some talking to CSR they wanted me to just edited 4 yrs. of weekly pay stubs. So I restored the UPDATE/BACKUP file from 37.65, 38.26, 38.29, no errors. Date checked out. 39.17 revert back to the flaws in the system.
  • Roger Miller
    Roger Miller Member ✭✭✭
    > @Glen Raggio said:
    > After some talking to CSR they wanted me to just edited 4 yrs. of weekly pay stubs.

Unbelievable....smh.
    QWin Premier user since 1997. QWin Premier subscription on Windows 10 & 11. I don't use mobile & web or bill pay.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2022
    I, too, had a problem with 39.17. It seems that my paycheck salary and splits doubled. After some talking to CSR they wanted me to just edited 4 yrs. of weekly pay stubs. So I restored the UPDATE/BACKUP file from 37.65, 38.26, 38.29, no errors. Date checked out. 39.17 revert back to the flaws in the system.
    Unfortunately, the Quicken Support reps don't always know or don't keep up on developments, even though the announcement and resolution of the R39.17 issues were posted here by a Quicken Moderator on 3/10 and 3/12 (NEW 3/10/22 Paycheck Wizard issue after updating to R39.17 & R39.21, https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909593/windows-r39-xx-release-us#latest).
    Which version are you running now?

• Glen Raggio
    Glen Raggio Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I am using 39.23. So far everything OK.
  • jharris5
    jharris5 Member ✭✭
    Thank you, All for your help. I am using 39.23. I restored a backup from 2/28/22. I had to reset my checking and savings accounts online, but was able to restore my split transactions and all activity this side of the restore date. All that remains is to reconcile my month end statements.
    One thing to note, during this split transaction debacle, I also noticed another problem affecting my accounts. Accounts that I opened last year showed negative opening balances. Reconstructing from last 8 statements I determined that transactions previously reconciled were missing from the registers and deducted from my actual opening balances. Go figure? I reentered the missing transactions and manually set the opening balances to the correct figure.
    Good to go until next time. Keep on backing up.
    Thanks again.
    Jim
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jharris5 , Glad to see that things are back to normal.  And don't forget to validate your restored file as @Chris_QPW mentioned earlier.
    On the opening balance issue, that is something I encounter all the time when/if I deactivate and reactivate an account where my opening balance changes.  I have simply accepted it as "it is what it is"!!!  So my tip is to write down your correct opening balances in the memo field of your opening transactions for every account.  That way if it ever changes, you can easily correct it.

This discussion has been closed.