Account Balances Report does not agree with the balances of the accounts in the Register

Dave LC
Dave LC Member
I am using Quicken Subscription R33.7, build 27.1.33.7. When I open the Net Worth link on the bottom left of the Accounts column, and select the Accounts Balances Report, the numbers that appear bear no resemblance to the actual balances in the register. It is only the Investments accounts that are affected, all other classes are correct.
However, when I navigate through the Reports feature, then Net Worth/Account Balances, I get the correct balances.
It appears that these two navigation paths use different data. At this point, I am disregarding the first report since the second one is correct; however, I am somewhat concerned that Quicken may have a serious flaw here.

Some history. I started using Quicken Home and Business 14 years ago and tracked my Investments religiously. The report was not correct back then, but I chose to ignore it. Two years ago, I switched to Quicken Deluxe and I only balance my Investment accounts to the net value at my brokerage (I don't track the stocks themselves).

Is there a flaw here? Thanks, Dave

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    R33.7.  Is that the Canadian version?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Dave LC
    Dave LC Member
    Yes, the Canadian version.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've requested that this thread be moved to the QWin Canada thread, for more accurate responses

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many things in Quicken I never look at, and that series of clicks you describe to ultimately get to the Accounts Balance report is one of them.  So I followed your lead and looked at that report and while all the non-investment Accounts looked to be OK, basically every Investment Account on that report didn't agree to the Account Bar information.
    Having the information and reports available via "pop-ups" and "dashboards" be wrong just isn't all that uncommon and that's why I largely ignore and don't use them.  I can get to an (accurate) Accounts Balance report, in few clicks, by starting with the Report menu item.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am using the US version and I am seeing the same as @Tom Young - using the link from Net Worth in the Accounts bar shows an Account Balances report with large negative balances in old investing accounts that should have zero balances.

The report accessed via Reports > Net Worth & Balances > Account Balances is correct.

I suggest you go to Help > Report a Problem and report this to Quicken, referencing this discussion and noting that it affects both the US and Canadian versions.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Dave LC
    Dave LC Member
    Thanks to Tom and Jim. I have reported this to Quicken as suggested. Guess I'll just ignore this anomaly! Makes me think of the DMA (Dark Matter Anomaly) on USS Discovery series!
  • BMJ
    BMJ Member ✭✭
    The left side use current and future amount to build to ending balance, at least in my case. The report use the value on the date you ask the report
This discussion has been closed.