How do I get my Scotiabank in Canadian dollars instead of US

oxcart
oxcart Member ✭✭
My checking accounts both come up in US dollars. When I try to change them the edit won't let me change them. Every time I transfer money it does it in US dollars.

Best Answers

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    oxcart said:
    My checking accounts both come up in US dollars. When I try to change them the edit won't let me change them. Every time I transfer money it does it in US dollars.
    Hello @oxcart

I am sorry to hear about this issue with inexplicable currency changes. Thank you for taking this matter to the Quicken Community for discussion and support.

What connection method are you using to link or add your Scotiabank account(s)? You can check this anytime by going to Tools > Account List and clicking the Edit button next to every account associated with Scotiabank. Next, navigate to Online Services; you should be able to find what connection method is in use here, under the Online Setup callout box.

I am eager to hear back from you.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    This is a longstanding problem that pops up occasionally. Please refer to this page for some possible solutions:

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Jared This is at least the second time this has come up with Scotiabank. Is there something that needs to be investigated?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    smayer97 said:
    @Quicken Jared This is at least the second time this has come up with Scotiabank. Is there something that needs to be investigated?
    By my count we are talking at least 1/2 dozen times this has been report in the recent past and much more if I add in long term.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • oxcart
    oxcart Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your replies. My connection method is Express Connection.

This problem started about3 weeks ago when it would connect to the bank and check for new transactions but would not download any new transactions. I tried what was suggested and created a new test file. This is what I am using now. It works perfectly an downloads the new transaction, but for some reason the two checking accounts are flagged as US. When I check my original file, all accounts are flagged as CDN.
  • Quicken Jared
    smayer97 said:
    Hello @smayer97

I apologize if you are being affected by this issue, as well. Thank you for addressing the matter in this discussion.

This problem is, indeed, being discussed and forwarded to the proper channels. In the meantime, it would be most helpful if everyone affected by this currency issue with Scotiabank could submit logs by going to Help > Report a problem... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. You may then upload screenshots and a brief description of the unusual behavior in the prompts that follow.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • oxcart
    oxcart Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your reply. I have submitted a Problem Report
  • Quicken Jared
    Answer ✓
    oxcart said:
    Thank you for your reply. I have submitted a Problem Report
    @oxcart,

Thank you so much for providing those logs. They will be of much help.

The issue has been escalated for investigation. We are unable to provide an ETA on a resolution but this problem is being analyzed by our teams.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, this is exactly the same issue I've been running into (especially with ScotiaBank accounts).

1) Problems lately with downloading transactions - Quicken appears to go through all the motions but no transactions download. In some cases, the online balance is updated but the transactions aren't brought in.

2) ScotiaBank accounts are changed from Canadian to US currency.

If Quicken requires more info from my experience, let me know.
    The problems with downloading transactions reliably has been going on for a couple of weeks. I only noticed the currency change today, and the last time it was fine was a couple of days ago.

Note: In an attempt to resolve the transaction download issues, I have been resetting my connections on the associated accounts for the last couple of weeks or so. This usually resolves the issue for the current session. I finally tried to deactivate and reactivate the accounts (as was recommended in some community messages) using Express Web Connect and it is after doing this, the accounts switched to US currency. If I create a new account using a QFX download the account is created properly and reflects that it is using Canadian Funds - I also confirmed the QFX file has <CURDEF> set to "CAD". It's only after changing the connection type to Express Web Connect that the account switches to US currency.
  • JohnMcG
    JohnMcG Member
    I am also having the same problem. I bank at ScotiaBank and in Dec 2021 I got a new bank card and number. It was then that I had to reenter the information and the US$ problem started. Prior to that I had no issues downloading transactions. I worked with support for many hours, but no one could resolve. Someone was going to look into it more and call back, but never did.

Been a user since the 90's.
  • oxcart
    oxcart Member ✭✭
    That is interesting because I also needed to get a new bank card and had to enter the new number.
  • oxcart
    oxcart Member ✭✭
    I tried to read my QFX file in Notes but it came up in a language I couldn't read LOL.
  • VicBC
    VicBC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    > @Mindwarp said:
    > I'm so disappointed, I finally decided to buy budgeting software only to have it start off broken. [Removed - Speculation]

[Removed - Speculation] Every week I see new posts here about the same issue - transactions not being downloaded; reconnecting accounts; currency changing to US$.

I have reached out to quicken support several times here, by phone or chat. [Removed - Speculation] Instead, they refer me to Scotiabank - which I have also contacted several times only to confirm that the currency is set to CAD on their end.

[Removed - Speculation]
  • teevee
    teevee Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem but with a slight difference. I have accounts with CIBC and Scotiabank both bank accounts and credit.
    Out of all the accounts, 3 bank accounts with Scotiabank are showing US $ when they are Canadian. 1 US Credit card with CIBC shows up as Canadian and it’s US. Out of the 8 remaining accounts both credit and bank, they are correct. So why are some correct and others wrong. All the credit cards seem to be correct, it’s just the bank accounts that are wrong. There should be a way to correct this!!
  • claurin
    claurin Member
    Having the same problem. The should let us manually change the currency type on the account. I will be moving from Quicken now because I simply have no time to wait for them to find a fix!
This discussion has been closed.