startup and update very slow

xmark
xmark Member ✭✭
i think last update caused very slow update (hourglass) and slow startup. "view" seems to switch between min./max screen and tries to go over Windows taskbar.
I have deleted the app and reinstalled to no avail.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @xmark,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, I am sorry that you are experiencing this error. 

I have located a support article that discusses troubleshooting steps in regards to performance issues with Quicken. 

I have also located a thread created by some other users that discusses some different ways to troubleshoot these errors as well. 

I hope you find these to be of use, please let me know how it goes after trying to complete some of these steps. 
    Thank you!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• heel
    heel Member ✭✭
    This isn't just an issue for @xmark, the software update are unbearably slow since the last update. Something is broken. I can trim it down to individual banks where I have a singe account and it will still take 20+ minutes to run. All of my accounts used to update in a minute or two at most.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    heel said:
    This isn't just an issue for @xmark, the software update are unbearably slow since the last update. Something is broken. I can trim it down to individual banks where I have a singe account and it will still take 20+ minutes to run. All of my accounts used to update in a minute or two at most.
    Hello @heel

I am sorry to hear about this issue with general slowness and long update times. Thank you for seeking additional information in this discussion on the Quicken Community.

Have you tried restoring from a backup saved just prior to your most recent update? Be sure to save backups frequently by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Doing this often is key to preserving your data and can help in a wide variety of situations. Provided that backups have been saved, try restoring from a backup from just before when you noticed this issue emerging by going to File > Restore a Backup File... in the same menu mentioned previously. I am curious to hear if this slowness continues in a restored backup.

I look forward to any reply you may be able to provide.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • heel
    heel Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    This is an issue with your software and the update service. It is not normal for the software to stop being responsive during a "one step update" and certainly not for a single account. And I've been able to replicate it with multiple accounts with different banks. It happened suddenly after the last update. Please have your engineers look at whatever the changed and roll it back
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @heel IF there's an issue with that single account, Q will most certainly "stop being responsive".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Danhw
    Danhw Member
    I have the same issue as Xmark - the "One Step Update" now takes 10-12 minutes to download data from 10 banks (about 15 accounts). A few times the background quicken window goes black (the download progress window stays visible). Prior to the last update, this completed in 1-2 minutes. I can see in Windows resource monitor that the qw.exe TCP connections have latencies of over 100ms, (and there were only 3 - not one per bank as I was expecting) so depending on how much data is going back and forth, this can affect the overall throughput. I also see that you are using amazon web services. Perhaps that is not configured "optimally".

(software developer for 40+ years; quicken user for 25+years)
  • heel
    heel Member ✭✭
    @NotACPA It isn't an issue with a single account - it seems to happen on several. What I was trying to say is that if I only select one of those accounts that is impacted it still takes an incredibly long time. Does that make sense? Sorry, I'm still not sure if I'm explaining it well.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then why, in your prior post did you cite "and certainly not for a single account."
    When you give off misleading info, you get erroneous responses.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @heel @xmark and @Danhw

Can you tell us which version and build of Quicken you are currently running?  Have you tried updating your accounts individually, so that you might be able to determine whether things are hanging up on one, or more, specific accounts?

You might also consider rolling back to an earlier version of Quicken, if you are convinced that a revent update has caused these issues.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• heel
    heel Member ✭✭
    @Frankx R39.23, 27.1.39.23. About 8 accounts across 5 FI are hanging, cloud sync as well. And I did do a reset of my quicken cloud data but that didn't change anything.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @heel,

I would suggest that you try removing the cloud sync temporarily and see if that affects the performance.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• heel
    heel Member ✭✭
    Thanks @Frankx, I'll try that. I haven't seen that it is making any immediate difference, but I'll give it time. Another peculiarity. All of the accounts that are having issues are using express web connect, but not all accounts using express web connect are having issue. I have one using express web connect that update quickly without any issues. Go figure.
  • xmark
    xmark Member ✭✭
    I reinstalled on different hd, no help started working ok next couple days. this has ;happened before, i think after a update.
  • lmclough
    lmclough Member
    I have also noticed the horribly slow performance of Quicken since the last update - I do not sync to Cloud - this is clearly a Quicken Software issue that Quicken needs to look at. Quicken used to be so much faster - it is painfully slow! Additionally, why is Quicken still a 32-bit vs 64-bit. It's time to fix the software!
  • Alastair F
    Alastair F Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue with data download/account updates. 50% of accounts seem to get stuck in the processing mode for 7-10 minutes. CitiBank download seems to have failed completely. After the data is downloaded, accepting each transaction now takes approx. 15-20 seconds for each one and I get not responding, black screen, screen switches on each one. I am on software v27.1.39.23 and have validated my files repeatedly. This seems to have started as a problem in January 2022 and continues now. I also suffered all of the Schwab update issues as well. User since 1994.
  • Alastair F
    Alastair F Member ✭✭
    Additional information for my post above - all the slow accounts for updates use Express Web Connect +, accounts that update quickly and accept quickly are Direct Connect accounts
  • Science101
    Science101 Member ✭✭
    Same issue here as with many others. Routine transaction download which used to be fairly fast now since last update extremely slow with screen refreshing over and over again as if stuck in a loop while connections to financial institution taking 5 minutes or more. Too slow to be usable at this point. Has nothing to do with file backup and restore.
  • ProfQuill
    ProfQuill Member ✭✭✭
    I hate to make a post just to say 'me too', but the more commentary perhaps the more attention it will receive. I can't really pin it down to any particular update, since there are rather a few, and sometimes in the past the OSU window would go 'not responding', but eventually it does finish. Doesn't seem to be related to any particular FI, whether I do it for one account or all.  Yes, I see the 'flashing' on the main window, sometimes it comes up black, sometimes repaints what's there.  

I watch Task Manager and Resource Monitor to see what's going on, and it's mostly Quicken using CPU time. Rather little disk activity, only about 1-2% active on my SSD.  Also very little network activity.

Now I'm no developer or anything,  but I would think any software that goes 'Not Responding' is a problem with some coding.  

I just did an OSU and with about a dozen FI's and some 20 accounts, it took about 8 minutes.  Yeah, I can live with that but annoying and it used to be faster.   

• bobonyc
    bobonyc Member ✭✭
    I have worked on my own, with Quicken support and with these suggestions. I agree with prior posts that this was caused by an update and it seems Quicken support has not yet decided to fix it. In my case it is only one of my files --- but of course the largest and most important -- that gets seriously slow or hung up. HELP!!
  • MDinSoCal
    MDinSoCal Member
    edited May 2022
    [Removed - Rant] Every aspect of operation is unbelievably slow. Accepting downloaded transactions, moving between accounts, application startup, entering categories for transactions. [Removed - Rant]
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2022
    Has anyone with performance issues happen to take a look at the link @Quicken Jasmine suggested:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-performance-troubleshooting

I may have missed it, but I haven't heard anyone give any feedback on it.

• BobbiD
    BobbiD Member
    I have tried EVERY "solution" suggested, including the one suggested in Damian's post.
    Rant, rant..nothing has corrected the problem.
    I use Quicken for very, very basic functions.
    The top bar disappears, then the bottom bar disappears. etc.
    Has been over a month..
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone who complained in this discussion:
    How much RAM do you have installed on your computer?
    What version Windows are you using?
    After Quicken has been started, what does Windows Task Manager show about "% Memory" usage and "% Disk" busy of your C: - drive?
    I have recently upgraded an abysmally slow Windows 8.1, Quicken R 41.10 laptop from 4 GB RAM to 8 GB RAM and the computer now performs very well. I no longer see "96% Memory usage" combined with "100% C- drive busy" just trying to do something, anything on the computer.
This discussion has been closed.