Why does main category show red despite rollover balance being used?

Main category is red while the two subcategories are green. I didn't allocate a budget amount for the month in one of the subcategories because I had money already set aside last year (popped in as a rollover balance in January). Since there is STILL money in that sub-category because of the rollover, why does Quicken think I'm overbudget? Is this a bug/flaw? Because what's the point of being able to use rollover balances if the software is going to tell me, incorrectly, that I am overbudget.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @karensc7,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you don't mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the issue you described above? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• karensc7
    karensc7 Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Anja Here you go!
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Thank you for following up and providing the screenshot.

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• karensc7
    karensc7 Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Anja

No change after Validate and Super Validate. Still showing red and being told I'm overbudget when I'm not.
  • karensc7
    karensc7 Member ✭✭
    I was curious, so I checked the web app. Works as intended - not telling me I'm overbudget. Hopefully someone can help me figure out why the desktop version isn't working as it should...
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    karensc7 said:
    I was curious, so I checked the web app. Works as intended - not telling me I'm overbudget. Hopefully someone can help me figure out why the desktop version isn't working as it should...
    Hello @karensc7

Thank you for continuing to work with us on this problem. I am sorry that the issue remains unresolved, for the moment.

The next option in this scenario would be to create a copy of your active data file. First, save a backup once again, then go back into the same menu and reselect Copy or Backup File... This time, select Create a copy or template. After this is done click Next then choose a location for the copy. You may then choose a location for the copy and make a number of other relevant selections in the screen that follows. Once you are finished, click Save Copy, then New Copy in the following screen, and finally, Ok.

Please note that creating a copy will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect up all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward as the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

I hope to hear more from you in the future.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared

• karensc7
    karensc7 Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Jared Backup made, copy created and then used. Still showing overspending. Closed Quicken and reopened hoping it needed a fresh boot. Still says overspending.

This seems more like a bug to me, but I have no idea if others have run into this issue. Getting a little frustrated.
  • karensc7
    karensc7 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    I'm trying one more thing in hopes it works. Reinstalling... I'll keep you posted.

Edited to say - no, reinstalling did not work.
  • karensc7
    karensc7 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Well, I just found this back from April 2021. So it IS a bug that has not been fixed.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7892394/over-budget-categories-question

I've just reported it, as well.
This discussion has been closed.