How many windows can be open in Quicken 2001, 2002, or 2003?

I recently updated from Quicken 6 to Quicken 2000 to avoid the 2028 date problem, but I'm constantly hitting the limit of ~ 23 windows open in Quicken 2000. I tried Quicken 2004 but it doesn't import my data correctly. Can anyone tell me how many windows can be open in Quicken 2001, 2002, or 2003?

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should really try to convert to 2013.  Did you use this article?  How to use an intermediate version to convert to a newer version

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @volvogirl if he can't get to Quicken 2004, how is he supposed to get to Quicken 2013?

I suppose it might work to convert directly to Quicken 2013, but it is doubtful if Quicken 2004 can't do it.

@Bob Sundquist why do you need so many windows open?
    (I doubt anyone is going to be able to tell you about such things in 2001 thru 2003, but I doubt there is any difference between them and 2000)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I understand you had issues attempting to convert from Quicken 6 directly to Quicken 2004 but were able to successfully convert from Quicken 6 to Quicken 2000.  If you haven't already, I suggest you attempt to convert from Quicken 2000 to Quicken 2004 and then from Quicken 2004 to Quicken 2013.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bob Sundquist What's the "2028 date problem?  Don't believe that I've heard of that before.
    Also, why do you need that many windows open at once ... and are they REALLY tiny?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently updated from Quicken 6 to Quicken 2000 to avoid the 2028 date problem, but I'm constantly hitting the limit of ~ 23 windows open in Quicken 2000. I tried Quicken 2004 but it doesn't import my data correctly. Can anyone tell me how many windows can be open in Quicken 2001, 2002, or 2003?
    Hi @""Bob Sundquist"

In order to properly upgrade, you need to do a Manual Backup of your Data File. Before uninstalling the current Quicken Program installed. Before installing the next version of Quicken 2004, you need to run CCleaner Free. First the Cleaner portion, then the Registry Portion for Zero errors.

Once you install Quicken 2004 Deluxe, Restore the Manual Backup file. After it is restored, do a Manual Backup and repeat the process for Quicken 2013 Deluxe.

Questions?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Bob Sundquist
    Bob Sundquist Member ✭✭
    2028 date problem is that Quicken 6 won't allow dates past 12/31/2027.
    Why I need that many windows open is that unlike Quicken 6, the registers in Quicken 2000 do not support tabs for each account so every time I open a register for an account it's another window. "My Finances", "Banking Center", "Investing Center", "Household Center", "Taxes Center", "Planning Center", and "Reports and Graphs" cannot be closed, so that's already 7. If Accounts list, Reminders, Scheduled Transactions, and Portfolio are open, then a few banking accounts, a few investing accounts, and a few reports, it's not hard to get to the limit. Then I try to reconcile a credit card account, it lets me enter the balance, expenses, etc and then says oh sorry too many windows.
  • Bob Sundquist
    Bob Sundquist Member ✭✭
    I tried converting to 2004 after converting to 2000, it still doesn't import correctly, all my investment accounts are 0.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, let's clarify Q product terminology.  Please to HELP, About Quicken.  What shows there as your BUILD and Q product.  Because "Quicken 6" would be from roughly the mid-1990's and MIGHT be a DOS product.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    OK, let's clarify Q product terminology.  Please to HELP, About Quicken.  What shows there as your BUILD and Q product.  Because "Quicken 6" would be from roughly the mid-1990's and MIGHT be a DOS product.
    The DOS version would have had windows.  But I don't think it matters since he has said he is now on Quicken 2000, which would be a Windows version.

NotACPA said:
    @Bob Sundquist What's the "2028 date problem?  Don't believe that I've heard of that before.
    The way the Windows time/date works is by holds the number of seconds from Jan 1, 1970.  Back when these programs were written the time value was stored in a signed 32-bit variable.  Which can store a number a bit more than 2 billion.  In theory that should give about 65 years, and overflow in about 2033, but it seems like they were being "conservative" and decided that the program would never be used past 2027.  These days the time value is stored in a 64-bit variable, and the universe should be long gone by the time that many seconds have elapsed.  
    I tried converting to 2004 after converting to 2000, it still doesn't import correctly, all my investment accounts are 0.
    I will assume that you did Validate and Repair in Quicken 2000 before trying to convert to Quicken 2004?
    If not, you should try that.

Another way would be to export a QIF file and import that into Quicken 2013 (you might as well go for the newest version that still supports online only).

The problems I have had with this have to do with transfers and here is my workaround:
    ChangeTransfers changes transfers in a QIF file to categories. - QuicknPerlWiz
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.