Can't delete security and problem I created

Grammy605
Grammy605 Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Windows)
:D I had a mutual fund "transition" from one company to another. For whatever reason (and I don't remember how) I moved all the shares in the original account/security to a new account with the new name/security (2). Now I have the information about the transition and want to do it correctly. However, I can't delete the original security (which has nothing in it). Also, when I try to make the security in account 2 back to the original security (1), it says I can't do that because I already have a security by that name. Therefore, I can't go back to the way it was before I made the mistake. I know this is very confusing. I would be happy to answer question . . . please help me.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Grammy605,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that this is occurring for you. 

I suggest restoring from a backup that was created before you moved the shares from the original account. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to the position that you are currently in. 

You can follow this link here for more information on saving and restoring from backups.

Please let me know how this goes! 

Thank you!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Grammy605
    Grammy605 Member ✭✭
    That is certainly something I COULD do . . . BUT this problem was created probably a couple months ago. And, I have made so many changes to other securities/accounts. Are there ANY other options?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @Grammy605,

Unfortunately, the only way to truly get back to your original starting position is by restoring from a backup that was created before you changed what you would like to be undone. 

However, I was able to locate a Support Article that discusses steps regarding deleting securities. You may follow this link here. Once you have the security deleted, you may try to rename the new security and go from there. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out with further questions or concerns. 

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Grammy605
    Grammy605 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Jasmine. I will look at that. I appreciate it.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @Grammy605,

Of course, I am happy to help!

I look forward to hearing from you and assisting further if needed!

Have a great day!

-Quicken Jasmine

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The language used in your original post uses account and security almost interchangeably. They are not interchangeable. 
    Your language suggests your Account is set up in Quicken as a Single Mutual Fund (SMF) account. That is not a setup I ever recommend. 
    Back up your current data file!
    Go to the Account Details for the account, see if there is an SMF option set to yes. If so, change it to no. I suspect then you will be able to enter the transactions necessary to transition your account. 
    If we need to go further with this, it would help me communicate if you were more specific about the funds and brokerages involved. Also, it could be relevant if these are retirement accounts. 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grammy605 said: I had a mutual fund "transition" from one company to another.
    What brokerage was the original - and what brokerage are you now using ?
    What was the mutual fund involved...
    I ran into a situation with - TRowe - when they transitioned from one "class" to another and I had to move my mutual funds -
    but the TRP brokerage setup uses "single mutual fund" within Quicken, so it was a hurdle...
    each TRP mutual fund had its own SMF Quicken Account

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Grammy605
    Grammy605 Member ✭✭
    Someone else suggested I don't have it listed as a single mutual fund and I haven't had a chance to look into that yet, but it was a Dreyfus mutual fund that transitioned to Nationwide. It is not with a brokerage firm, but directly to me. Does this help answer your questions?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grammy605 said:   It is not with a brokerage firm, but directly to me.
    huh ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ps56k2 said:
    Grammy605 said:   It is not with a brokerage firm, but directly to me.
    huh ?

The funds were purchased directly from the management company. These often are set up as SMF accounts.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Grammy605
    Grammy605 Member ✭✭
    I guess I'm not understanding you. It is a mutual fund and I purchased directly from the mutual fund company. I am not familiar with SMF accounts.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, SMF is Single Mutual Fund. 

A SMF account can only hold one mutual fund, so it is not possible to convert from one share class to another within that type of account. But that is just a setting that you can change.

Were you able to check that setting as we described above?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grammy605 said:   I guess I'm not understanding you.
    It is a mutual fund and I purchased directly from the mutual fund company.
    I am not familiar with SMF accounts.
    If you EDIT your Quicken Account entry - it will probably look like this....
    #1 - Are you entering transactions manually, or using the Quicken online One Step Update to download transactions.
    #2 - Just wondering, as you look at the EDIT of your Quicken Account - what Financial Institution does it display ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Grammy605
    Grammy605 Member ✭✭
    Right now it says Nationwide Fund Distributors . . . but I think I recently changed it from Dreyfus.
  • Grammy605
    Grammy605 Member ✭✭
    And, it is NOT set up as a single mutual fund. That line says "no".
  • Grammy605
    Grammy605 Member ✭✭
    Sorry, I am entering manually.
This discussion has been closed.