Set up all my accounts with online version. Now desktop version can't see my accounts

slamb
slamb Member ✭✭
I signed up for Quicken this weekend. I spent a considerable amount of time (probably 5-6 hours) setting up all of my accounts and categorizing transactions. (I have a lot) This was apparently all on the "online" version as when I went to add loan accounts it said I would have to download the desktop version. Fine. Went ahead and downloaded the desktop version that asked me to sign in with my Quicken account. I did that with the same login/password as my online account. Problem is that my desktop version doesn't see my online accounts and my online accounts don't see my desktop accounts. When I called the help desk they said that there were two different data files and I had to redo everything on the desktop version so that everything would be together. She said it was a new thing that you could even add accounts to the online version. This is very hard to accept that the system would be that flawed and wouldn't warn me that I wouldn't be able to sync later!! (In fact it made it sound like syncing would be easy!) I am very frustrated. Was the agent correct? Any way around this?

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, there is no workaround. On Quicken Subscription Windows, you MUST create the Quicken data file on the desktop and then sync to the Quicken cloud.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • slamb
    slamb Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response although that's incredibly disappointing. Why in the world would Quicken do this or at least not warn me that I wouldn't be able to sync later? Expecting a new user to know the correct order of operations intuitively is ridiculous!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    slamb said: Thanks for your response although that's incredibly disappointing. Why in the world would Quicken do this or at least not warn me that I wouldn't be able to sync later? Expecting a new user to know the correct order of operations intuitively is ridiculous!
    YES - we know - and have shared this exact situation with the Quicken staff....
    Sorry that you have experienced this -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused.  Are you confusing Simplifi, the 100% online program, and Quicken, the desktop program?
    While Quicken desktop has a mobile/web interface with data synced from the desktop to the Quicken Cloud Account, it is in no way connected to Simplifi.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    splasher said: I'm confused.  Are you confusing Simplifi, the 100% online program, and Quicken, the desktop program?
    Nope - this has come up in other threads.... the Quicken webpage implies that you can ...
    1 - Purchase Quicken and setup your new Quicken ID
    2 - Access Quicken online via Quicken on the Web, or the Quicken Mobile App
    3 - Create and enter all your data online
    SO - can't then connect your Quicken online entered data with the Quicken desktop software - can't find Quicken ID dataset.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    slamb said: Thanks for your response although that's incredibly disappointing.
    BTW - just to clarify .... we are discussing the Quicken desktop software - and NOT the new Simplifi web only product.
    1 - Where did you purchase Quicken - the Quicken.com website ?
    2 - What made you enter the data online vs downloading & installing the Quicken desktop program ?
    3 - Did you use your browser - Quicken on the Web - or the Quicken Mobile App ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• slamb
    slamb Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Yes, discussing the Quicken desktop software. Not even sure what Simplifi is.
    1.) Yes, purchased from the Quicken website
    2.) I was originally working on a computer where I couldn't download desktop app.
    I just figured I would get it set up online
    and then do the work to add the extra loan accounts later
    after I had a chance to download the program on another computer.
    Never even occurred to me that this wouldn't work.
    3.) Used the browser - Quicken on the Web
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    slamb said: Yes, discussing the Quicken desktop software.
    Again - sorry this happened and thanks for sharing -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• slamb
    slamb Member ✭✭
    Thanks, I appreciate the help. At least I know now not to waste any more time trying to figure out the solution!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Help FAQ on the Q-Web site:

What can’t I do in Quicken on the Web (but can do on the desktop app)

You can't add or delete accounts, budgets, renaming rules, or memorized payees. You also cannot generate reports.

Can you explain how you managed to create an account in Quicken on the Web when help states that it is impossible.
    What is the URL for the website you did all of this account creating on?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a Quicken video - on setting up your accounts using Quicken on the Web -
    BUT - it never mentions that you should FIRST setup your desktop software

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• slamb
    slamb Member ✭✭
    @splasher No idea how I did it. I was using https://signin.quicken.com/signin?client_id=quicken_webapp&response_type=code&redirect_uri=https://app.quicken.com/ I just literally signed up online and started adding accounts like it told me too. When I talked to someone at Quicken she said this was a new thing (that accounts could be added to the online version). As a brand new user I had no way of knowing that this wasn't normal.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    slamb said:
    @splasher No idea how I did it. I was using https://signin.quicken.com/signin?client_id=quicken_webapp&response_type=code&redirect_uri=https://app.quicken.com/ I just literally signed up online and started adding accounts like it told me too. When I talked to someone at Quicken she said this was a new thing (that accounts could be added to the online version). As a brand new user I had no way of knowing that this wasn't normal.
    Thanks for your response, what you did should not be possible.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:  Thanks for your response, what you did should not be possible.
    I think part of the glitch is that I don't see how a current user can ADD Accounts from the Quicken On The Web screen -
    A current user doesn't have the "+" to Add Account -
    However - in the YouTube video - it is clearly there ....
    maybe just for NEW USER and first time accessing the web page.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    slamb said: @splasher No idea how I did it.
    tnx for your participating in the Q&A -
    If you have NOT gone to the desktop software yet - was wondering if you look at your Quicken On The Web screen -
    on the left nav bar - scroll to very bottom - the "X" for your Profile name - what does it show for file names ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This has come up several times in the past.  There seems to be a "loop hole" in the process that a new Quicken Id setup with a subscription bought at Quicken.com can in fact access a Web app with the features of creating accounts, and budgets and such.

But the moment that you install on Quicken Windows Desktop and create a data file, that "Quicken Cloud dataset created by this "loop hole" becomes inaccessible, and there isn't any way to connect to it".

But to make is even stranger Quicken Mac has a "beta" feature that can connect a data file to this Quicken Cloud dataset.

When asked about this, the moderators and Quicken support have never reported back on why this is even possible or such.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • don1701
    don1701 Member
    Same problem here, "I think part of the glitch is that I don't see how a current user can ADD Accounts from the Quicken On The Web screen - A current user doesn't have the "+" to Add Account -"
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    don1701 said: Same problem here, "I think part of the glitch is that I don't see how a current user can ADD Accounts from the Quicken On The Web screen - A current user doesn't have the "+" to Add Account -"
    YUP - It appears to be a "glitch in the matrix" that allows a NEW USER that has never touched or setup the desktop software, the single entry point that allows this abyss to be created in the first place..... it is also reinforced by the Quicken video that shows exactly how to do it.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.