How do I correct an incorrect Citi Visa online balance?

Ptherv
Ptherv Member ✭✭
For the past several days, one of my accounts, a Citi Visa, is displaying an incorrect online balance versus the ending balance which is correct. I have tried updating multiple times, and resetting my account, all to no avail. Any suggestions? I tried online chat support but the agent was most unhelpful and after telling me to try another update, just told me to contact my financial institution.

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    All that you can do is do another download update from the financial institution (FI) since it is not a value that you can manually change.  If the download method for the account is Direct Connect or Web Connect, the FI is responsible for the incorrect balance.  If it is Express Web Connect, it could be either the FI or the data aggregator (Intuit), but you can only complain to Quicken Support about it.
    See the Account List (Tools menu) for the download method.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    All that you can do is do another download update from the financial institution (FI) since it is not a value that you can manually change.  If the download method for the account is Direct Connect or Web Connect, the FI is responsible for the incorrect balance.  If it is Express Web Connect, it could be either the FI or the data aggregator (Intuit), but you can only complain to Quicken Support about it.
    See the Account List (Tools menu) for the download method.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Online Balance is downloaded from Citi and Quicken is just reporting what it is sent. If you go to Citi's website, does it show a different online balance, or are there perhaps pending charges or credits that would explain the difference?

I did have an issue with Citi a few years ago when I paid more than the total amount due on the credit card and the sign of the balance was downloaded incorrectly. For example if I actually had a credit balance of $25.00, the balance downloaded to Quicken said that I owed the same amount. As far as I know, Citi never corrected this. Might this explain your situation?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned above - go to your Citi Visa webpage and compare the online balance to what is being sent to Quicken ?
    Next - review the charges online, and see if there is anything that was not downloaded to Quicken ?
    Lastly - review the Quicken entries and look for anything wrong, dups, etc ...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ptherv
    Ptherv Member ✭✭
    Thank you for reaching out to me. Currently, my Ending Balance is the correct one but my Online Balance is still reflecting from several days ago. So I believe that all of my transactions are accounted for, it's just that the online balance has continued to not reflect accurate balance information. I use Express Connect.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ptherv - There is an issue that sometimes occurs with Express Web Connect (EWC) connections in which the FI downloads data that has not been fully updated with the prior day's data.  Either new transactions have been downloaded but the updated online balance has not been downloaded or the updated online balance is downloaded but the new transactions are not downloaded.  As a result, the register balance and the online balance do not match.  My experience is that running OSU again 12-24 hrs later will usually resolve the imbalance issue.
    This issue does not usually occur with Direct Connect (DC).
    If your Citi Visa is set up with an EWC connection (it will say directly beneath the account name at the top left of the account register), you might want to consider trying to change your connection  method to DC.  DC is much faster and more reliable than EWC.
    To try to upgrade the connection method:
    1. Back up your data file.
    2. Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate (do not click on any link offering to upgrade to an improved connection).
    3. Repeat #2 for other Citi credit card accounts you might have.
    4. Add Account > type in Citi Cards (do not click on Citi) > Advanced Options > tic Direct Connect > Next > follow the prompts.
    5. If/when prompted, be sure to link the download(s) to your existing Citi card account(s).
    6. This process might add some duplicate transactions to the account register(s).  Duplicate transactions will need to be manually deleted.  It is a 1X occurrence and should not happen again.
    If successful, the online balance not matching the register balance should go away.  (FYI, there are some FIs that have DC but also have this same issue but most DC FIs do not.  In particular, I do not recall ever seeing this issue occurring with this DC Citi Cards setup link.)
    If the setup connection does not complete properly, I suggest you go to the General tab of Account Details and remove all Financial Institution Information in the upper right quadrant (above "Contact name").  Then try the Add Account process, again.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.