Can I have more than one account/budget?

Options
I am thinking of getting Quicken. Im new to it and know very little about it. My question is can I have more than one account/budget. What I mean is, that I want to have my personal bank account and activity set up with a budget but also have, separately, mine and my wifes bank account and budget. Is this possible? Thanks for the help.

Answers

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Options
    Hi @wilsonp245

Thanks for reaching out to Community regarding accounts on Quicken. 

I suggest reading this article regarding data files and how to manage multiple accounts. Depending on your needs, you will find if it is in your best interest to have one data file or multiple. 

Thanks! 

Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It isn't clear from your description if you are just asking if you can have multiple budgets that contain different accounts (the answer is yes for Quicken Windows) or if you are really needing to separate these out in separate data files.

I'm not sure if Quicken Mac allows picking which accounts to use in a given budget or not.  So, first which operating system you are using is needed to answer the question, and perhaps someone that knows more about Quicken Mac.

Note that budgets are "category based" and by default you are budgeting a given set of categories in each budget you create (from all accounts).  But like I said, in Quicken Windows you can limit it to a given set of accounts.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • wilsonp245
    wilsonp245 Member
    Options
    Ok yes I will be using the windows version. I read that article and it does sound like it will do what I want. But let me just clarify to make sure. I want to have my individual bank account and have those transactions be budgeted. Example, make a budget for my gas, car payment, shopping, restaurants, etc. But then also have a separate budget linked to the Joint account that is mine and my wife. There budget for groceries, utilities, mortgage, restaurants, etc. So I just want to confirm, I could set budgets for restaurant spending from my bank account, but have a different budget for restaurants from the joint back account? Sorry if that is not clear. Thanks for any help.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, you can have as many budgets as you like, and each can select the accounts to be included in it.
    Note that the Starter edition only has a "Graph View", and the Deluxe edition and above has both a graph view and an Annual View, which is in a table form.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Rbuckpi Your questions are different from this thread, please use New post button at the top of the page to start your own question.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.