How do I enter a cash dividend in an investment account with a linked cash account.

Illiniyankee
Illiniyankee Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I have used Quicken for approximately 25+years. In the past I have entered a cash dividend through the investment account transaction register. It would return a transaction type of DivX.

Now when I enter the dividend dollar amount does not appear in the transaction and it returns a transaction type of Div.

Thanks

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not see this issue in a test file, either entering directly in the register or via the Enter Transactions button.

Please go to Help > About Quicken and let us know what version of Quicken are you are running, also what edition - Starter, Deluxe, etc.

Is the Transaction List displayed as usual or do you see a dashboard style display instead?

Are you using the Enter Transactions button to enter the transaction, or entering directly in the register?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Does the General tab of Account Details for the investment account still show that it is set up with a separate checking account?
    Which version of Quicken do you have installed...and did you ever have R39.17 and/or R39.21 installed? 

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• tebes
    tebes Member
    I have the same issue. I use the Enter Transactions button to enter the transaction as a dividend for a Retirement account and it appears as Div but does not go into the linked cash account. I have to change the action to DivX for it to show up. It never used to do this - probably changed last fall? I'm on Quicken Deluxe Subscription Version R39.23.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tebes - I tested this again and still do not see this issue.  There are questions asked by both me and  @Jim_Harman which we never received a response on from @Illiniyankee .  If we get answers to those questions it might help to understand more of why this might be happening or what action(s) might be taken to address/resolve it.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• tebes
    tebes Member
    Looking closer, my IRA accounts, including this one, do not have a Show cash in a checking account Yes/No config in the General tab of Account Details. But my brokerage accounts do. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow me to change the Account Type. I should be able to cteate a new Brokerage account and then transfer all of the transactions to it.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ONLY a non-retirement  type account can, in Q, have a "Linked Cash Account". 
    And if the account is, in reality, a retirement type account it shouldn't be changed to a non-retirement type.
    A DIV in a retirement account should stay there unless reinvested or some other way used..  A Div in a taxable account with a Linked Cash Account automatically becomes a DivX to the Linked Cash account.
    SO, what's your real issue here?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• tebes
    tebes Member
    The real issue is as initially described: when I enter the dividend dollar amount, it returns a transaction type of Div and does not appear as a cash transaction. Only by changing it to DivX, does it appear as a cash transaction.

My retirement accounts set up as brokerage specifically have an option to Show cash in a checking account. While the retirement IRAs do not have this option, they do have a linked cash account. Again, only when the transaction type is DivX, does it show in the cash account.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you previously convert from MS Money?  Because "Linked Cash accounts" are NOT, otherwise, allowed in Q ... and such grandfathered accounts don't work properly in Q.
    When you manually input that DIV, does the Cash balance of the account increase?
    Are there any "N/A"s showing in the account?  You might have placeholders that are interfering.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• CliffW
    CliffW Member
    This is a glitch created by quicken decades ago. I have Q windows Home, Business & Rental Properties Ver 39.23, build 27.1.39.23. I never had MSM.
    Quicken allowed investment IRA's (and other brokerage accounts) with linked cash accounts (1996). Investment transactions entered into the brokerage account were automatically transferred to the linked cash account (e.g. DivX). Quicken stopped allowing linked IRA cash accounts and removed the option, previously available, to consolidate the IRA linked cash account into the brokerage account. This is the initial Quicken glitch . The Invest IRA account detail does not show the linked cash account, but there is a linked cash account which (usually) reflects all of the investment cash transactions. If I make a div income entry (using the dropdown menu) in the investment IRA, it shows in the register as DivX and automatically transfers to the linked Invest IRA-cash. The Invest IRA transfer account is locked to the Invest IRA-cash. Any changes to an investment transaction have to be made in the Invest IRA account. It won't let me change it in the cash account. Cash balance doesn't show up in the Invest IRA account, only in the Invest IRA-cash account. Not ideal, but workable.
    Unfortunately, sometimes a transaction in the Invest IRA doesn't show up in the Invest IRA-cash account. Consequently, the Invest IRA-cash balance is wrong. Quicken glitch #2. Sometime this can be fixed by deleting and re-entering the original investment transaction, but not always. Entry detail shows the cash transfer account, but the cash account doesn't show the Invest IRA transaction. Validate/Super validate doesn't pick up or correct the missing transfer.
    Quicken gratuitously created this problem years ago. I was able to consolidate non IRA investment and linked cash accounts, but not Invest IRA and linked Invest IRA-cash accounts. The quicken update left the locked Invest IRA link, but removed the consolidation option. As a result, I have one legacy linked Invest IRA-cash account.
    Suggested fix???
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing you could do would be to create a new IRA account in Quicken and  use Shares Transferred between Accounts and a cash transfer to move your current holdings and cash to the new account. This account would not have a linked cash account and presumably would not have any of the issues associated with the partially-supported linked account. This preserves the cost basis of your securities, even though that does not really matter for a tax deferred account.

If you want to track performance over a period that includes the transfer date, be sure to include both the old and new account in the analysis.  

Be sure to back up your data before trying this, in case you do not like he result.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • CliffW
    CliffW Member
    Understood. I was just pointing out how this problem was created as an unintended consequence of updates to the program, and the continuing changes on new updates that don't take legacy functions into account. The link usually works and isn't a problem. Occasionally, and unpredictably, the transaction is entered in the investment account, which shows the transfer, but doesn't appear in the linked cash account.
    If it gets worse, I'll try your suggestion to set up a new account, but I worry that an additional account may increase instability. I had Windows resource issues in the past with Quicken and was told to limit accounts and categories, and to truncate account and category names.
    Thank you for the suggested work around.
This discussion has been closed.