List of Banks that Support Direct Connect?

I contacted Quicken chat support yesterday, and was surprised to hear that they do not maintain a list of banks that support Quicken via Direct Connect. I find that hard to believe, but if it's true, how does one find out which banks support Direct Connect? Just trial and error with banks in the neighborhood?

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    "You can pull up the FIDIR.txt file (do a search in Windows Explorer).  That file lists all of the Financial Institutions that support Quicken.  Once that file is open you can search (Ctrl+F) for DIRECT.  You can then go one FI at a time to see the ones that support DC.  But that process will take you a very long time to go through the entire FIDIR file to find which banks in your area support DC.  It would probably be a whole lot faster to search for the names of the banks in your neighborhood and then look in that line to see DIRECT is listed."

@Boatnmaniac - I have run a search in my Quicken program directory, and all its sub-directories, and cannot locate the FIDIR.txt file. Where should I be looking?

Thank you very much!
    The fidir.txt file should be in the C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\LocalWeb\2019 folder.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Sherlock said:
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    "You can pull up the FIDIR.txt file (do a search in Windows Explorer).  That file lists all of the Financial Institutions that support Quicken.  Once that file is open you can search (Ctrl+F) for DIRECT.  You can then go one FI at a time to see the ones that support DC.  But that process will take you a very long time to go through the entire FIDIR file to find which banks in your area support DC.  It would probably be a whole lot faster to search for the names of the banks in your neighborhood and then look in that line to see DIRECT is listed."

@Boatnmaniac - I have run a search in my Quicken program directory, and all its sub-directories, and cannot locate the FIDIR.txt file. Where should I be looking?

Thank you very much!
    The fidir.txt file should be in the C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\LocalWeb\2019 folder.
    I did not post the path because it can be a little different from what @Sherlock posted.  For instance, for me the path is C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019 folder.  So, I just usually tell people to do a search of their hard drive (which includes more than the program directory).
    Also, I have found it very helpful to create a shortcut of that FIDIR.txt file and then cut/paste that shortcut to my desktop.  Then I can very quickly open the file in the future without having to search for it or without having to drill down through the hard drive directory to get to it. 

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    You can pull up the FIDIR.txt file (do a search in Windows Explorer).  That file lists all of the Financial Institutions that support Quicken.  Once that file is open you can search (Ctrl+F) for DIRECT.  You can then go one FI at a time to see the ones that support DC.  But that process will take you a very long time to go through the entire FIDIR file to find which banks in your area support DC.  It would probably be a whole lot faster to search for the names of the banks in your neighborhood and then look in that line to see DIRECT is listed.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel  & @SoCalScott The list provided by  RJS seems to contain only banks, CUs and the like.
    My "primary bank" is Fidelity Investments, the fund & brokerage company, and they're not to be found.
    Direct Connect, from Fidelity,  is free, whereas other Financial institutions may charge for DC although
    Fido doesn't offer BillPay from within Q.  You need to log into their website to pay bills,but that's free also.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    @Rocket J Squirrel  & @SoCalScott The list provided by  RJS seems to contain only banks, CUs and the like.
    That's true. @SoCalScott asked specifically for banks. I can run the same script for investment firms.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• SoCalScott
    SoCalScott Member ✭✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:

Thank you very much!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @Boatnmaniac said:

Thank you very much!
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Sherlock said:
    > @Boatnmaniac said:

Thank you very much!
    I did not post the path because it can be a little different from what @Sherlock posted.  For instance, for me the path is C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019 folder.  So, I just usually tell people to do a search of their hard drive (which includes more than the program directory).
    Also, I have found it very helpful to create a shortcut of that FIDIR.txt file and then cut/paste that shortcut to my desktop.  Then I can very quickly open the file in the future without having to search for it or without having to drill down through the hard drive directory to get to it. 

• SoCalScott
    SoCalScott Member ✭✭✭
    Found the FIDIR.txt file. My thanks to @Boatnmaniac and @Sherlock!
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2022
    Found the FIDIR.txt file. My thanks to @Boatnmaniac and @Sherlock!
    You are welcome.  A word of caution: Be careful not to make/save any changes to that file.  Quicken uses it for the Add Account and Set Up Now processes (and OSU processes, too?) so if we make changes to that file then Quicken will likely be adversely affected.  If you want to edit the file first save a copy of it elsewhere or rename a copy of it and make the changes/edits to that copied file so Quicken will not be affected.

• SoCalScott
    SoCalScott Member ✭✭✭
    Saved to my desktop as QuickenList.docx. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.