R40.13 - Screen flashes during update - fix is coming

aeronaut54
aeronaut54 Member ✭✭
I have been updating my accounts in quicken for over 20 years. Recently my screen began to flash during updates. My computer is running on windows 11 Quicken deluxe version R40.13. What can be done to stop this from happening?

Best Answer

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Hello everyone,

I am sorry about these issues with flashing and refreshing screens. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community about this, and for providing so much information about what is happening.

Reports about this problem are being forwarded to the proper channels. I recommend submitting program logs in order to help us investigate and analyze this issue. You can do this by going to Help > Report a problem... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. You will then be prompted for screenshots and a brief description of the issue; submitting these will be of great value in documenting the issue. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.
    Feel free to reach out with additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

Answers

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Hi @aeronaut54,

I am sorry that your screen flashes when Quicken is updating and thank you for reaching out to Community. Can you try the steps outlined in this article to see if this resolves the issue? 

Thank you.

Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• rhomer
    rhomer Member ✭✭
    This is an ongoing problem for me as well. I have unchecked the animation but in continues. Here is what is happening:
    I hit "One Step Update" and shortly thereafter the screen starts flashing off and on.
    The the background turns black and the screen shows One Step Update Progress (not responding)/
    This happens twice and then if updates, but it takes a long time.
    Any other solution available?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started seeing the flashing today in R40.13. I had never seen it in any previous release, so I think this is a new bug.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• aeronaut54
    aeronaut54 Member ✭✭
    I have tried unchecking the animation, checking compatibility with my firewall, updating my video driver, and uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken to no avail. This happens in two different quicken files, one larga and won small. Quicken tells me that this is normal.
  • aeronaut54
    aeronaut54 Member ✭✭
    In addition, I have gone into task manager and set quicken to always appear on top. Any other fixes?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Hello everyone,

I am sorry about these issues with flashing and refreshing screens. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community about this, and for providing so much information about what is happening.

Reports about this problem are being forwarded to the proper channels. I recommend submitting program logs in order to help us investigate and analyze this issue. You can do this by going to Help > Report a problem... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. You will then be prompted for screenshots and a brief description of the issue; submitting these will be of great value in documenting the issue. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.
    Feel free to reach out with additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    It is a weird bug.  It doesn't do it in my main data file.
    In my test data file when I first tried it with just updating the quotes it flashed the first time, but not after that.  (Data file didn't have any accounts setup for downloading transactions or brokerage accounts.)
    Then I setup an account for downloading (Credit card/Direct Connect).  Now it flashes about 5 times when updating the quotes.  And in One Step Update, it flashes 5 times, then a delay while it does some updating and then 5 more flashes as it ends.

So, whatever triggers it, is dependent something in the data file (not that there is anything wrong with the data, it just triggers the behavior).

EDIT:  tried exiting and restarting Quicken in test data file.  This session it flashes 2 times.  Restarted again, no flashing.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, this only started with the latest update version R40.13 Build 27.1.40.13.  With all the issues we have had with downloading and updating this year, Schwab, Capital One, etc.  I am now concerned that this might be damaging my data file in the background.  Quicken needs to fix this.

• Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Update:  Flashing occurs  during the update of the portfolio section during one step update.  Also happens if on the portfolio tab and click on the update button. 
  • aeronaut54
    aeronaut54 Member ✭✭
    I have tried validating and super validate with my file, Still have flashing
  • Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    It is not your data file.  It is a new bug in the new update!  Quicken tests their updates on their customers rather than doing their due diligence.  Really, think about it.  None of their software developers saw this when they did updates???  I have tried several databases.  I have tried my current graphics driver (which worked fine before the update) and the driver before.  All my drivers are up to date.  I am using Win 10 all patches and updates.  I just built this computer with an new install of windows and have been building them since 1985.  The only piece of software that I own that has ongoing problems with downloading and updates is Quicken.
  • aeronaut54
    aeronaut54 Member ✭✭
    One thing that really bothers me is that I have spoken to two different Quicken tech support agents, both insisted that the flashing is completely normal.
  • Ken267
    Ken267 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Today, when I "UPDATE" the screen flickers for a few seconds.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version .... Help --> About Quicken
    When you say "update" - do you mean Quicken One Step Update to download transactions .. ?
    Does it perform the actual downloading.... or does something go wrong .. ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    In over 25 years of using Quicken (From the 5.25" disk days) tech support has never, ever solved one of my problems.  I and people in the community have always found the solution first.  Pretty sad.
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    I run Windows 11 Home on my PC. I have Quicken Premier, Ver. R40.13, Build 27.1.40.13. Since a few days ago when I updated to this latest version, whenever I do a One Step Update, I get the "screen flicker". The update box remains stable, but the screen behind (Home/Dashboard) flashes on and off about every second while some of the institutions update. The functionality of the update works properly, but this flicker is totally new.
  • rickatie
    rickatie Member ✭✭✭
    Ever since updating to R40.13 I have experienced the same problem - screen continuously flashes during updating (OSU). This was not occurring until this most recent update to R40.13. PLEASE FIX ASAP!!!
  • branquick
    branquick Member ✭✭✭
    I started seeing the flashing Quicken before the latest version update, when running One Step Update, updating one account or stock updates Quicken flashes.

At the end when it finishing up Quicken turns black except Quicken Update Status. Attached file shows Quicken at the end of updating. I have submitted a trouble report.
  • alancgut
    alancgut Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem here. It all began with the latest update to R40.13.
  • Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    edited April 2022
    Hi Everyone,

Thank you for providing details regarding this issue. We have identified and fixed the issue that causes the flashing and we're planning to release this fix as soon as possible. Thank you for your continued patience. 

Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    aeronaut54 said: One thing that really bothers me is that I have spoken to two different Quicken tech support agents, both insisted that the flashing is completely normal.
    More often than not - WE find the bugs on the forum....
    A lot is just canned/scripted replies from tech, mods, admins -
    - Restore and try it
    - Create a NEW empty file and try it
    - Submit a trouble ticket and log files
    - Turn off this and that and try it

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• TR@k3t8M
    TR@k3t8M Unconfirmed, Member
    Download a fresh copy of Quicken from My Quicken Account. It is version 27.1.39.23. No more flashing. Wait until Quicken corrects problem they caused.
  • rickatie
    rickatie Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks TR@k3t8m -- version 27.1.39.23 = no more flashing.
    Still waiting for the fix before updating to newer version.
  • tkstaple
    tkstaple Member ✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Janean said:
    > Hi @aeronaut54,
    >
    > I am sorry that your screen flashes when Quicken is updating and thank you for reaching out to Community. Can you try the steps outlined in this article to see if this resolves the issue? 
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Quicken Janean

Thank you. This worked for me. Best..
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    For a few days the flashing screen during OSU stopped. Today ... it's back with a vengence!
  • rhomer
    rhomer Member ✭✭
    Update fix is coming ??
    Not yet, mine is still flashing away and taking MUCH LONGER than ever before to finally update
This discussion has been closed.