Why does Quicken not allow users to print a list of categories or tags?? (Q Mac)

PSCFO
PSCFO Member ✭✭
Is there a reason Quicken Management decided users don't need to print or download a list of categories? Do they think we will use the information for some nefarious purpose?

What could be the reason??

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    PSCFO said:
    Is there a reason Quicken Management decided users don't need to print or download a list of categories? Do they think we will use the information for some nefarious purpose?

@PSCFO It's quite simple, actually: they haven't considered it a higher priority than all the other things they've been working on. That doesn't mean they don't think it's worthwhile, as you suggest; it only means they haven't yet seen it as a top priority to implement. 

As you may be aware, Quicken Mac is a rewrite of the legacy Mac program which was developed over about 25 years. And Quicken is a surprisingly complex program, so adding features is a slow-moving process. There are more than 500 Idea posts in the forum here alone, many of which are perfectly good and useful ideas — so the absence of a particular feature generally means nothing more than that they haven't gotten to it yet. The developers have to sift through all the feature requests and decide which ones have the biggest impact on the largest number of people, and have to evaluate how long they expect each item would take to incorporate in the program, and the schedule of the programmers and designers needed for each specific feature, among a variety of factors. 

For this specific feature request — printing a category list — there is an existing Idea thread which you can see here. I encourage you to click that link and add your vote for this feature. You may note that this Idea thread currently has 42 votes (current plus "legacy" votes which were entered when this forum was previously on a different software platform). That's a decent number, as this site goes, but not nearly as high as some other feature requests. (Just as an example, I was just looking at one for an actual-versus-budget year-to-date report, and that one has 139 votes.) Personally, I think this is a desirable addition to the program, but it's something I would use only once in awhile, compared to some other things I'd like to see them add which I would use much more often. So for you any anyone else who would like to be able to print a category list, voting for the Idea is the best way to try to push this higher on the developer's roadmap.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    When I open up my Category List (TOOLS, Category List) there's a small printer icon in the bottom left of the dialog. between the Blue ? and the "Options" button. 
    Same for the Tags list (TOOLS, Tag List).
    Do you not have those?  Do they not work for you?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• PSCFO
    PSCFO Member ✭✭
    Not on the Mac Subscription Version!
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    PSCFO said:

Probably because they couldn't think of a good reason to do it & nobody else has suggested one.

If you want to see a missing feature added to Quicken, the best thing you can do is explain why you think it's a good idea and how will it make things easier for you.

What specifically are you trying to do with categories that is made easier by importing or printing them? 

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• PSCFO
    PSCFO Member ✭✭
    > @Jon said:
    > PSCFO said:
    > Probably because they couldn't think of a good reason to do it & nobody else has suggested one.
    >
    > If you want to see a missing feature added to Quicken, the best thing you can do is explain why you think it's a good idea and how will it make things easier for you.
    >
    > What specifically are you trying to do with categories that is made easier by importing or printing them? 

Thanks for the response. I did look to see if anyone had this issue. I searched for "print category lists" and found 121 threads. Now not all of the 121 are related directly to print category lists most of them are in one way or another. I have found with other Quicken products requests usually are not acted upon. I'll try it and hope for a better outcome. If Quicken management looks at the questions and the hoops users are going thru to get a print out of categories then this should have been added a long time ago.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    PSCFO said:

@PSCFO It's quite simple, actually: they haven't considered it a higher priority than all the other things they've been working on. That doesn't mean they don't think it's worthwhile, as you suggest; it only means they haven't yet seen it as a top priority to implement. 

As you may be aware, Quicken Mac is a rewrite of the legacy Mac program which was developed over about 25 years. And Quicken is a surprisingly complex program, so adding features is a slow-moving process. There are more than 500 Idea posts in the forum here alone, many of which are perfectly good and useful ideas — so the absence of a particular feature generally means nothing more than that they haven't gotten to it yet. The developers have to sift through all the feature requests and decide which ones have the biggest impact on the largest number of people, and have to evaluate how long they expect each item would take to incorporate in the program, and the schedule of the programmers and designers needed for each specific feature, among a variety of factors. 

For this specific feature request — printing a category list — there is an existing Idea thread which you can see here. I encourage you to click that link and add your vote for this feature. You may note that this Idea thread currently has 42 votes (current plus "legacy" votes which were entered when this forum was previously on a different software platform). That's a decent number, as this site goes, but not nearly as high as some other feature requests. (Just as an example, I was just looking at one for an actual-versus-budget year-to-date report, and that one has 139 votes.) Personally, I think this is a desirable addition to the program, but it's something I would use only once in awhile, compared to some other things I'd like to see them add which I would use much more often. So for you any anyone else who would like to be able to print a category list, voting for the Idea is the best way to try to push this higher on the developer's roadmap.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.