Windows 11? [appears to have drifted into discussing "Snap Layouts"]

Spotteddog
Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
Is there an official statement from Quicken Management about Windows 11?
If I missed that, I'm sorry. But I haven't seen anything about running Quicken Deluxe on Windows 11.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Since it isn't officially released yet, I wouldn't expect an official announcement of supporting it from Quicken Inc, and till at least that point (and probably longer).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited October 2021
    Hello @Spotteddog,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Though we do not have an official statement regarding Quicken for Windows and Windows 11, another user has installed Windows 11 and posted about his experience here. Please feel free to review the information they shared.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    I've been checking for the last few weeks and every app I use on my PC has tested with Win 11 and has been verified that their apps work or don't work with Win 11.
    Yes, a few of the apps I use will have to be upgraded (which I have already done), but at least I know what to expect.
    With 2 days until Win 11 is released, are you saying Q. hasn't even started testing with Win 11?
  • David Green
    David Green Member ✭✭✭
    I have Quicken Premiere vR35.31 build 27.1.35.31 running in Windows 11. It runs quite well. I installed Quicken then copied my data file from another computer over then opened it. I have had no issues so far but it's only been 2 days. I am running it in a virtual machine if that matters.
    Quicken for Windows Premiere
    Always the latest version
  • Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with David. Installed Win 11 yesterday and Quicken Deluxe. Everything seems to be working fine.
  • David Green
    David Green Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    I should add that I did this mostly as an experiment. It may or may not be permanent. If I decide it is permanent I understand that it is not a supported environment (yet), but I'm ok with that.
    Quicken for Windows Premiere
    Always the latest version
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Did a CHAT with Quicken Support this morning. They said Windows 11 was not fully supported yet and did not have any time frame when it would be fully supported by Quicken. I use Premier.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    I am the user that @Quicken Anja mentioned above and here.  I installed the Win11 Beta in June with Quicken on it on a very old spare laptop.  I switched running it on a Virtual Machine off of my main laptop in Aug and I am now on the official release of 21H2.  I have not had any issues with Quicken or any other program.  Frankly it has been a complete "non-event".  Given that, I see no need to spend the time to upgrade my main system until the day I need to reinstall my OS from scratch for a major cleanup purpose.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Mary OBrien
    Mary OBrien Member ✭✭✭
    Windows 11 is released. I have been running Quicken on it for a few weeks. No problems but Snap Layouts is not supported and I really wish it was. It would be very handy at tax time. Please Quicken, hurry up and support this feature. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Windows 11 is released. I have been running Quicken on it for a few weeks. No problems but Snap Layouts is not supported and I really wish it was. It would be very handy at tax time. Please Quicken, hurry up and support this feature. 
    I wonder is Quicken has to "support it" or really the requirement is more that it needs to allow resizing to what would be smaller than what is currently considered the lowest display requirements.  That is basically the current complaint on Windows 10 for its snap feature.

As an example since Quicken has a 1024x768 min size requirement with Windows scaling at 100% and when not using Large Fonts, then if one wants two equal sized windows side by side they need a monitor with at least 2048 with resolution.  And for two vertical ones they would need 1536 for the height.

The problem with all of this is that they pick the min resolutions so that the GUI components will fit.  So to change that requirement they would have to look at every window in Quicken and make sure that it can be resized to a lower resolution.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    I wonder is Quicken has to "support it" or really the requirement is more that it needs to allow resizing to what would be smaller than what is currently considered the lowest display requirements.  That is basically the current complaint on Windows 10 for its snap feature.
    I installed Windows 11 on one of my machines today I decided to test this, and it seems that the Quicken Windows developers decision to use a "fake main window" bites again.
    You can see clearly with this side by side comparison that Quicken isn't using the standard Windows window frame.

To do Snap Layouts you hover over the maximize button and you get this which lets you pick a layout.

So what happens when you hover over Quicken's maximize button?
    Not surprising, just the tool tip comes up.

Whether the Quicken developers can program this feature into their fake maximize button or not, I have no idea.  It is just one of the annoyances of them not using the standard Windows windows and not trying to put controls like the search box where it doesn't belong.  Other annoyances are that as you can see it doesn't follow the system theme (color or size and such).

The way I got the Quicken window on one side was to use the Snap Layout feature from MS Edge's window instead of Quicken's. 
    Signature:
  • Quicken works with the snap windows, you just have to use the shortcut keys. Hold the Window Key down and press the Up, Down, Left, Right keys and it will snap.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken works with the snap windows, you just have to use the shortcut keys. Hold the Window Key down and press the Up, Down, Left, Right keys and it will snap.
    That isn't really the same as being able to use the new Windows 11 control.  With that control you can pick and choose what configuration you want and where in that configuration you want the window to be.

The Windows key with arrows is just jumps the window around like it did in Windows 10.
    Signature:
  • cprgolds
    cprgolds Member ✭✭✭
    I, too, think this is something that needs to be implemented in Quicken.  It is especially needed if one has a large screen.  The app defaults to the fake full screen layout.

To work around this, I open Quicken, then another window.  The snap layout control exists for the other window.  I set that and it allows me to pick another area in the layout for Quicken.  It is a PITA, but it does work.
This discussion has been closed.