Canada : new mutual funds not recognized

Danielle Dallaire
Danielle Dallaire Member ✭✭✭
Good afternoon,
I want to know if somebody is looking into this : newly created mutual funds in Canada are not updated in Quicken because they don't seem to exist.
Keeping up with the mutual funds companies that create a new fund everyday is quite a job, but that is why we purchase Quicken. No ?
Please, someone from the tech support that KNOWS something, keep us informed !
Thank you
Danielle

Best Answer

• [Deleted User]
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    @danielle dallaire - please try this - go to "Edit Security Details" for the affected fund.  The easiest way to do this go into the security list, highlight the fund, right click anywhere except the fund name.  Choose "edit".  In the "Edit Security Details" window, make sure the fund type and exchange are both "Mutual Funds".  Check and update all of your affected funds, restart Quicken, and then try downloading quotes again.  I am not sure this will work, but I am hoping so.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Danielle Dallaire,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this error with your Canadian Mutual Funds updating. 

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. What version of Quicken are you running? You can see this by navigating to Quicken > About Quicken. Which Mutual Fund Companies are not updating within your Quicken? What is the connection method with these companies? You can see the connection method by navigating to Settings > Downloads > Connection Type. What occurs when attempting to update your mutual fund accounts? Do you receive any sort of error code or message? 

Looking forward to hearing your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Danielle Dallaire
    Hi, sorry for the delay.
    I have the canadian version R40.28, the latest.
    The mutual funds companies I use are CI, Mackenzie Cundill,, National Bank of Canada, TD and RBC-Oshaughnessy. There is no other connection method than directly with Quicken. It means that I don't start by going to my discount broker to get the quotes. Quicken used to give me the quotes with the update function in the portfolio.
    I can't find the "settings / download / connection type".
    I am joining a screen shot of the report that says 18 of 24 quotes are updated, with the funds name and their symbol.
    Thank you ! :)
    Danielle
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Thank you for providing more information and for including screenshots.

First, I suggest creating a test file and adding a few of the mutual fund account(s) to see if it produces the same error. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. Below are instructions on how to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Danielle Dallaire
    Hi there,
    I have created the new file and created a broker account with all the 6 funds that don't update.
    And, oh surprise, the last week of prices, that is since the 4th of may have quotes !
    The procedure to create the securities are not at all as in MY file. What is happening ?
    What can I do to correct that and go back to MY file and create those mutual funds so that they will update ?
    Thank you :)
    Danielle
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there,
    I have created the new file and created a broker account with all the 6 funds that don't update.
    And, oh surprise, the last week of prices, that is since the 4th of may have quotes !
    The procedure to create the securities are not at all as in MY file. What is happening ?
    What can I do to correct that and go back to MY file and create those mutual funds so that they will update ?
    Thank you :)
    Danielle
    @Danielle Dallaire,       

I am sorry to hear that this issue is continuing, and thank you so much for working with us on this problem so patiently. There are, fortunately, some additional steps we can proceed through for troubleshooting. 

First, you should be able to navigate to File > Open Quicken File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen in order to move back into your original Quicken data file from the 'test' file that was being used to test the issue with mutual funds. Also, make sure that your original Quicken data file is located locally, on your computer, and not in any cloud-based storage service.

Next, we can attempt to validate the data file using the following steps, after saving a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen:
      • Navigate to File
      • Select Validate and Repair File...
      • Select Validate File
      • Click OK
      • Close the Data Log
      • Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
      • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    If the problem continues after these steps have been attempted, you may also try to Super Validate the data file with these additional steps:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to hearing about your results after these recommendations have been put into use. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Danielle Dallaire
    Hi,
    I validate my files frequently because Q behaves strangely quite often. I also did as you asked and super validated file. The answer is this:

[Thu May 12 11:14:02 2022]

File: "C:\Users\Utilisateur\Documents\Quicken\Moi2006"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Thu May 12 11:14:51 2022]
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account "REER autogéré BNC", security "Ishares SP/TSX CP REI ETF", on 30-12-21 that might be missing.
    Maximum security reference: 118, number of securities: 118.
    Analyzing securities.

Number of old style Buy/Cash/Transfer investment transactions updated: 358/0/0
    No out-of-range security references found.

Super validation has completed.

The stock split is impossible because each share would have been split for 0.999 share. I would love this problem to disappear...

And no, the 6 funds still don't update. They update only in the TEST file I created. But that is no use to me if my main file is not updating correctly.

Thank you

Danielle
  • Quicken Jared
    Hi,
    I validate my files frequently because Q behaves strangely quite often. I also did as you asked and super validated file. The answer is this:

[Thu May 12 11:14:02 2022]

File: "C:\Users\Utilisateur\Documents\Quicken\Moi2006"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Thu May 12 11:14:51 2022]
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account "REER autogéré BNC", security "Ishares SP/TSX CP REI ETF", on 30-12-21 that might be missing.
    Maximum security reference: 118, number of securities: 118.
    Analyzing securities.

Number of old style Buy/Cash/Transfer investment transactions updated: 358/0/0
    No out-of-range security references found.

Super validation has completed.

The stock split is impossible because each share would have been split for 0.999 share. I would love this problem to disappear...

And no, the 6 funds still don't update. They update only in the TEST file I created. But that is no use to me if my main file is not updating correctly.

Thank you

Danielle
    @Danielle Dallaire

I do apologize that this issue seems to be persisting, even after validating and super validating the data file. Thanks for continuing to work with me on this problem.

One other option left to us is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward.

With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:

• Navigate to File
      • Select Copy or Backup File...
      • Select Create a copy or template
      • Click Next 
      • Select a file location on your computer
      • Click Save Copy
      • Select New Copy
      • Click OK
    I hope to hear more from you, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Danielle Dallaire
    Thanks.
    I selected the new copy and we'll see next week if the mutual funds prices update.
    I'll keep you informed.
    Danielle
  • Danielle Dallaire
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > @Danielle Dallaire
    >
    > I do apologize that this issue seems to be persisting, even after validating and super validating the data file. Thanks for continuing to work with me on this problem.One other option left to us is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward.
    >
    > With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:
    >
    > * * Navigate to File
    >
    >
    > * * Select Copy or Backup File...
    >
    >
    > * * Select Create a copy or template
    >
    >
    > * * Click Next 
    >
    >
    > * * Select a file location on your computer
    >
    >
    > * * Click Save Copy
    >
    >
    > * * Select New Copy
    >
    >
    > * * Click OK
    >
    >
    >
    > I hope to hear more from you, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns. 
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Dear Jared,

Sorry, it didn't work at all. My 6 funds still don't update.

Please, help !

Danielle
  • Quicken Jared
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > @Danielle Dallaire
    >
    > I do apologize that this issue seems to be persisting, even after validating and super validating the data file. Thanks for continuing to work with me on this problem.One other option left to us is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward.
    >
    > With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:
    >
    > * * Navigate to File
    >
    >
    > * * Select Copy or Backup File...
    >
    >
    > * * Select Create a copy or template
    >
    >
    > * * Click Next 
    >
    >
    > * * Select a file location on your computer
    >
    >
    > * * Click Save Copy
    >
    >
    > * * Select New Copy
    >
    >
    > * * Click OK
    >
    >
    >
    > I hope to hear more from you, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns. 
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Dear Jared,

Sorry, it didn't work at all. My 6 funds still don't update.

Please, help !

Danielle

I do apologize that this issue is continuing even after copying the data file. Thank you for following up with me about the situation. 

You may additionally attempt to validate and super validate the copied data file using the steps provided previously. If the issue persists after taking even these steps, I recommend you reach out to Quicken Support using the contact information provided in this link. They have resources with which to more deeply investigate this issue, and that help them to provide more in-depth troubleshooting advice, as well. 

I hope this is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Danielle Dallaire
    Thanks for your reply
    I did reach already to Q support. After spending almost an hour on the phone with them and going back and forth to the second level, they came back to me saying that that situation had been resolved already. I find it hard to believe that the situation has been solved if I still experience it !
    Do you have anybody that you can refer me to ? A human I mean ?
    Thanks a lot
    Danielle
  • Quicken Jared
    Thanks for your reply
    I did reach already to Q support. After spending almost an hour on the phone with them and going back and forth to the second level, they came back to me saying that that situation had been resolved already. I find it hard to believe that the situation has been solved if I still experience it !
    Do you have anybody that you can refer me to ? A human I mean ?
    Thanks a lot
    Danielle

I am sorry to hear that the issue remains even after these additional troubleshooting steps. Thank you for being so patient and for working with me on this problem so thoroughly.

I have forwarded information about this matter to the proper channels, and it is being investigated. I cannot provide an ETA on a resolution, but please know that we are at work analyzing these difficulties with mutual funds and QWIN - Canada products. It may benefit us if you submit logs by going to Help > Report a Problem... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, and then submit screenshots of what is happening along with a brief description of the situation. Please note that these log files are purely for investigative purposes and no response will be provided via this submission. 

I hope this is helpful, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Danielle Dallaire
    Hello again.

Are the Proper Channels coming back to ME ? If not, this is no use. I just can't keep on waiting and waiting for a solution.

As to REPORT A PROBLEM, I have done it already twice since the problem appeared.

I really need somebody to look seriously into this matter because Quicken is going to lose me when my subscription is going to end next september. If all Canadians do the same, Quicken has a problem.

Thanks Jared

Danielle
  • @Daniele Dallaire -  I have a feeling your issue may have been misunderstood by those that answered?  I think you were saying is that you aren't able to set up new mutual funds because that don't exist in Quicken?  I only say this because I see other posts in this forum that say they cannot set up new funds in Quicken Canada because they don't seem to be available in Quicken to set up.  Please accept my apologies if I am the one that misunderstood your question.
  • Danielle Dallaire
    Hi Damian,

No, I don't have problems setting up a mutual fund in Quicken, since I have used it since 1991. I have had many mutual funds since 1993 and they all update correctly EXCEPT the 6 new ones I created because of the changes in the law. Another one last year caused the same problem but I sold it and is no longer upsetting for me.
    I have created a TEST file to follow the instructions of the community and the process of creating mutual funds is different in the new file than in the old file I use. And the same 6 funds update in the TEST file ! Right now I am using the copy file I created last week after supervalidating twice, and the 6 problematic funds still don't update in the copy file.
    Please take a look at the screenshots I joined earlier to check the names and symbols of the funds.
    Last thing, I created these funds the same way I always have I the past. And I had to create them using ADD A SECURITY because creating them while buying them all during the same transaction caused Quicken to crash. 3 times.
    Maybe a new set of eyes will help. Thank you.

Danielle
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    @danielle dallaire - please try this - go to "Edit Security Details" for the affected fund.  The easiest way to do this go into the security list, highlight the fund, right click anywhere except the fund name.  Choose "edit".  In the "Edit Security Details" window, make sure the fund type and exchange are both "Mutual Funds".  Check and update all of your affected funds, restart Quicken, and then try downloading quotes again.  I am not sure this will work, but I am hoping so.
  • Danielle Dallaire
    My dear Damian, you are a genius !

You were right, I had chosen the Toronto market instead of the Mutual Funds market. The 6 funds all update now. I knew something was wrong but it took a new set of eyes to find the problem. And it was my fault all along. I didn't realize there would be a special market for funds, as if there wasn't in the past. Is it possible ?
    Thank you so much and have a nice day

Danielle :)
  • @Danielle Dallaire  You are very welcome.  I am glad it worked.
This discussion has been closed.