Why no check sheet?

TTSguy
TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
Why does Quicken NOT have a checkoff list to use if a user has a problem, starting with the simplest, quickest things to try and / or most likely to fix?

Example: #1 Validate & Super Validate. #2 Turn sync off. #3 sign in as different user. #4 Use QUIclean then reinstall. #5 Reactivate Accounts thru FI. etc etc.  #5 Change data file name. #6 Change date file location, etc etc. Have all of these in a quick easy to find / use location. Logical things that users can easily try.  SOOOO many times I've read: Have you tried Validating? Set up like a mini flow chart.

This could be a valuable tool for users once they realize how many things they can try on their own, plus they would learn the things that they can learn simplify or correct some of their issues quickly and easily.

Also I'm curious why Quicken doesn't automatically validate files in some instances.

Maybe the biggest one would be how and when to use a restore point before a certain update. That sometimes can seem like a daunting task, and understand how to use it. This "list" I'm talking about could and should have that on it too.

Also exactly how to restore a file, as this process has changes several times over the last several years.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And how would you like it if, for a "I can't set up an account" question, if the started with asking about file validation?
    And what makes you believe that Q Support doesn't have such?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    When you get in a car to drive somewhere do you do it by picking random directions from different spots?

If one was really going to make a check list, what it would be is a series of questions to determine the likely cause, and then possible solutions.  Not randomly suggesting things that have nothing to do with a person's problems.

To create such a list is far from an easy thing to do.  But in fact, if I had to list the number one complaint people report here about Quicken support is that "they are going off of a script, instead of really listening to the problem and working towards a solution."  So, as @NotACPA mentioned, Quicken support clearly already has something like this.  But note, for the average Quicken user just handing them such a list might lead to them having more problems.  For instance, a lot of people thing "I have connection problem, what should I do?  I know I will deactivate and reactive the account."  This is in fact, not recommended.

And on your question about running validate.  Whether people realize it or not validate is not a "no risk" operation.  It is possible for it to corrupt a file worse than what it was before it was run.  That is why it always makes a backup before it runs.  But validate is actually run in some cases automatically.  If you move transactions in an investment account to another investment account, the end of that process is to run at least "partial validate".

There are various FAQs and articles on a lot of this.  But the very fact that there are so many of them for different situations means that it is hard to put together one main list that leads you to the rest.  Not mention maintain over time.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    There are already lots of check sheets.  In my opinion, the issue for most users is one of using Quicken's terminology so they may locate the appropriate guidance.  For example, the term you might use instead of check sheet is troubleshoot.
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    OOps, I must have struck a nerve. It seems as though there are a LOT of the same questions asked, so I thought a good place to start might be with some direction for a user to check a few things themself. How many times might you suspect that turning off sync fixed an issue for a user? I never said a complete guide for fixing all problems, just ones where the issue can be easily fixed, such as turn off sync. Let users try it then come back to community if it doesn't fix it. I think that is fairly simple, and users are looking to the "simple" fix most of the rime. So why not list the simple fixes?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, if you could come up with such a check list, then maybe the moderators could it up as some kind of FAQ that people answering questions could point to.
    Signature:
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2022
    I understand what @TTSguy is saying, but I also know that "How to" scenarios are a monster to maintain and keep relevant.  A lot of it is in the Quicken Support pages but one has to go searching and digging for it, and it can be very generic.  What is never discussed is a need for a "best practices" list.  This would be a list of "what not to do, or what to do" when setting up and maintaining a "corruption free" Quicken.  These are things that people have experienced or learned themselves, and willing to share.  My mantra when dealing with Quicken is K-I-S-S.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Damian
    I recall quite a few discussions about best practices, features to avoid, and/or do/don't do lists. Some of them likely in the super user lounge but many here in open forum.

Here is an excellent recent post by @BK that lists a number of do/don't features. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20265168/#Comment_20265168

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris I already did. Did you read my items 1 thru 6? these seem to be the most asked questions. Over, and Over.
  • @mshiggins Thank you. I really like reading suggestions, tricks and tips from users.  It helps me better use Quicken and avoid issues.  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    TTSguy said:
    @Chris I already did. Did you read my items 1 thru 6? these seem to be the most asked questions. Over, and Over.
    Those are not the most asked questions. They may be a few of the common responses but they're intended to address distinct issues. 

For suspected Quicken file corruptions, I usually point users at https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows or https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Troubleshoot+a+damaged+Quicken+data+file  Note: The preferred solution identified is to restore a good backup.

For suspected Quicken environment corruptions, I would normally provide a link to the Quicken Support page on the clean uninstall however, Quicken Support decided to archive the page mistakenly thinking it was no longer needed.  Here's a link to the page as saved on Internet Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20210510044051/https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @TTSguy I read them, but like @Sherlock said, I would expect descriptions of when one might need a given "answer".  Blindly doing all the things on your list could make some problems worse.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW if I could get "my wish list".  It would be that the forum takes the user through answering basic questions about the common problems that they might have.

Like:

Is your problem a connection/download problem?
    If yes answer these questions:
    Full financial institution name:
    Connection type:
    Error message/code:

Signature:
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Another action line for most questions / Answers

1) Why is it asking me for a password when I don't have one set, to put on a check sheet (Check Sheet)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    TTSguy said:

1) Why is it asking me for a password when I don't have one set, to put on a check sheet (Check Sheet)
    I always cringe when I see someone posting that one.

There are two causes.  "Corrupt data file", and "bad release triggers a problem".

Neither is going to be fun for the person reporting it.
    Signature:
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Another... When is it useful to sign in as a different user?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    TTSguy said:

That is suspected Quicken file corruption (see above).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    TTSguy said:
    That one always reminds me as the old "Reboot Windows" whenever anything goes wrong.

I have seen it recommended by the Moderators for some really weird things!
    And what is even more weird is a lot of times it fixes them!

In other words, the logic of what this will or will not fix totally escapes me.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    TTSguy said:
    That one always reminds me as the old "Reboot Windows" whenever anything goes wrong.

I suggest resetting the Quicken ID associated with the Quicken file when it appears Quicken's authentication or authorization are misbehaving.  Essentially, we're signing out and back in to reset the certificate Quicken is maintaining locally.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    TTSguy said:

Maybe Quicken borrowed a page out of the Microsoft Check List scripts book.  :D
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back, before Audit, when I was a Systems Manager for a major bank, Computer Ops asked me to produce the list for every possible restart scenario for my system.
    I replied that they were the experts on what caused a system to crash, and when they produced THEIR list of such crashes, I'd add the program initiated crashes and the restart for all.
    I never heard back from them about this.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Yeper. When I helped install IBM's new desktop PC's in the 80's, when a customer call in with an issue the first thing we told them was to close the program, turn off the PC, wait 15 seconds, unplug the PC for 60 seconds, then restart. Amazing how many times that worked too! 

Amazingly enough, IBM eventually got out of the PC business and sold all their info to Lenovo. I still get my IBM discount when buying a Lenovo Computer!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    TTSguy said:
    Yeper. When I helped install IBM's new desktop PC's in the 80's, when a customer call in with an issue the first thing we told them was to close the program, turn off the PC, wait 15 seconds, unplug the PC for 60 seconds, then restart. Amazing how many times that worked too! 
    I hope you told them also to plug the PC back in before trying to restart it.   ;)
    After all you might get the customer that when told to hit any key, they respond with "I can't find the 'any' key".  ;)
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.