OSU Summary shows entries which then aren't in registers

I show many updates on multiple accounts after doing a One Step Update, Summary for example shows 11 new transactions. But the red flags aren't on and there is nothing the download section for the accounts in question. I do have automatic entry shut off.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Scott Adams,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    I ran both and exited as directed. The initial validate found a few accounts and repaired them.

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken repaired Embrace Trailer Loan account. No action required.
    Quicken repaired Yukon Automobile Loan XX2685 account. No action required.
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "Yukon Automobile Loan XX2685" 0/ 0/1900
    QEL:
    No read errors.
    QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

Then the super validate found no issues at all.

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.
    QEL:
    No read errors.
    QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.
    [Mon May 23 16:12:58 2022]
    Maximum security reference: 0, number of securities: 0.
    No out-of-range security references found.
    Super validation has completed.

Since I have a backup from before I ran OSU. I could restore that backup. Validate it and then try OSU again perhaps.

I could also try OSU on my current validated file.

Open to ideas on best way to proceed.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @Scott Adams,

Thank you for providing more information and for attempting the validate/super validate troubleshooting steps. 

Next, I suggest (as you said) that you restore from a backup that was created before you noticed this issue. You may follow this link for more information regarding restoring from backups. Please keep in mind that it is recommended to save a backup in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. 

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Please provide the full name of the financial institution and the connection method being used: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab

If the imported transactions actually do appear in the register, you may be experiencing the same behavior we have experienced for many years with the Fidelity Investments CMA account.  In our opinion, this is just another one of those bugs that Quicken has never addressed.
  • Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    Mound city Bank RO
    Express Web Connect
  • Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    I ran OSU on a validated copy of the restored file and this time the balances were identical but before said 5 new transactions downloaded and 4 transactions to review and accept.
    Now it said 4 new transactions downloaded and 0 transactions to review and accept

Is it possible to take a backup file and use it in place of the original QDATA.QDF? Ie. copy and rename the backup as a QDATA.QDF, then super validate it and run a OSU?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I ran OSU on a validated copy of the restored file and this time the balances were identical but before said 5 new transactions downloaded and 4 transactions to review and accept.
    Now it said 4 new transactions downloaded and 0 transactions to review and accept

Is it possible to take a backup file and use it in place of the original QDATA.QDF? Ie. copy and rename the backup as a QDATA.QDF, then super validate it and run a OSU?
    It is possible to take a backup file and use it in place of the original QDATA.QDF.  That is essentially what it means to restore a Quicken file: select File > Restore a Backup File...

Note: 
    Information displayed in the One Step Update Summary window is maintained in the runtime.dat file within a Quicken file specific folder in the hidden \ProgramData\Quicken\Inet folder.  I suggest you exit Quicken and rename the runtime.dat file. If all goes well, you may remove the renamed file.
  • Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    I got the QDATA.QDF from my nightly backups and use that file. I ran a super validate and it found the same errors that previous did. All good. Then I did OSU

This time it said 2 new transactions to download and 0 to review and the balance was now different.

Seems like something is way off here. Each time I run this I am getting more out of sync.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I got the QDATA.QDF from my nightly backups and use that file. I ran a super validate and it found the same errors that previous did. All good. Then I did OSU

This time it said 2 new transactions to download and 0 to review and the balance was now different.

Seems like something is way off here. Each time I run this I am getting more out of sync.
    To determine what changed in the balance, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved before you performed the update.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.
  • Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    The balance change was only the online balance reported by OSU, not the register itself. That didn't change before or after. I checked. the transactions are showing at all in the register
  • Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    renamed the runtime.dat and tried running an OSU on a copy of my org good qdata.qdf. It didn't get anything. I compared the two files and saw they were text and that the majority of entries were gone. I am going to recover a previous copy of runtime.dat that matches the original qdata.qdf and run OSU on that
  • Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    That also did not work. Different new online balance and new transactions but not showing. Drifting further apart.

there is a Reset Account and also Down and import Transactions in the Online services tab. What would those do? I am using Express Web Connect and the downloads have been working fine for many many years before. this just started.
  • Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    I am using the latest quicken for windows desktop 40.21
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The balance change was only the online balance reported by OSU, not the register itself. That didn't change before or after. I checked. the transactions are showing at all in the register
    We've always found the online balance to be unreliable.  We reconcile using a statement from the financial institution.Scott Adams said:
    renamed the runtime.dat and tried running an OSU on a copy of my org good qdata.qdf. It didn't get anything. I compared the two files and saw they were text and that the majority of entries were gone. I am going to recover a previous copy of runtime.dat that matches the original qdata.qdf and run OSU on that
    Why?  It sounded to me like you resolved the issue.
    That also did not work. Different new online balance and new transactions but not showing. Drifting further apart.

there is a Reset Account and also Down and import Transactions in the Online services tab. What would those do? I am using Express Web Connect and the downloads have been working fine for many many years before. this just started.
    Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method if available instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
  • Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    Tried to deactivate the connection and nothing happens just returns to the screen. then I tried to reset and now getting a cc-501 error
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I think you are seeing Pending transactions being downloaded. Quicken is in the process of adding this feature but it is not fully implemented yet. Don't worry about it for now.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    edited May 2022
    Hello @Scott Adams

Thank you for your response and for attempting all the troubleshooting steps that myself and other users have recommended. 

Have you attempted to sign out and sign back into your Quicken account yet?

Let me know!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    Jasmine how do I do sign out and sign to my Quicken account on Quicken Windows Desktop?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @Scott Adams,

I do apologize, here are instructions for how to sign out and sign back in:
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out 
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    Thank you for those steps Jasmine.

I signed in and out and ran OSU. It is doing better now. But there is a still an issue.

I did receive according to the summary 14 transactions downloaded and 14 transactions to review and accept.

When I looked in the register I found only 11 transactions to review.
  • Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    I signed in and out and ran OSU. It is doing better now. But there is an still an issue.

I did receive according to the summary 14 transactions downloaded and 14 to review and accept. When I looked in the register I found only 11 transactions to review.

Also the red flags are missing. I looked in Online Center and also there are a total of 11 transactions shown there as well. Note I have 4 accounts at this one bank 2 transactions are missing from one account, 1 transaction from another, the 3rd had 2 as expected and the 4th had 0 as expected.

Could the difference in these numbers have anything to do with the Pending transaction feature that Markus1957 above mentioned?
  • Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    I just checked online at my bank and the transaction to review are totally correct. I have exactly what the bank shows online. Perhaps the extra count in the OSU summary is wrong and the red flags not show was surprising also. I am not accepting the transactions yet until I hear back from you.
  • Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    Ok just saw the red flag missing is now a known Quicken bug so won't worry about it. Not sure though why the counts are off but may be part of the same issue.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    edited May 2022
    Hello @Scott Adams,

Thank you for updating me and providing more information. 

You can absolutely accept the transactions. Please keep in mind that it is recommended to save a backup before proceeding (just in case). As you stated, the red flag missing is a known Quicken bug. Are the 3 transactions that are missing potentially pending transactions?

Looking forward to hearing your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

• Scott Adams
    Scott Adams Member ✭✭
    Other than the flag issue and the pending transactions count it seems fine. I am going to say this is solved for me for now. Thank-you all.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @Scott Adams,

Thank you for coming back to update us. 

I am happy to hear that this issue is resolved for you. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns!

-Quicken Jasmine

This discussion has been closed.