Password changes don't seem to take on Quicken's servers - EWC and password Vault

mjonis
mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
I've had this happen with my Citi personal cards, and now on a local bank (TrustCo bank). The banksite makes me changes my password. I cannot edit the password in the Quicken Vault because it's now stored "securely" on Quicken's servers.

So I have to do OSU (and even manual update in the individual account) to generate the error: CC-503.

I'll do the "fix it" and say "yes, I changed my password" and enter the new password. Quicken claims I can then try again. I do and it still fails. I waited an extra day, same thing.

I then end up having to Deactivate the account and re-activate (and subsequently enter new password again) for it to work, but then of course, I have to manually delete 60+ days of transactions, which is a total PITA.

Any idea why Quicken's servers don't seem to take an updated password correctly?

Quicken R40.21
Build 27.140.21

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited May 2022
    Hello @mjonis,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue with changing passwords located in your Vault. 

I am happy to hear that you were able to reconnect your accounts and update the passwords. I would love to help you further in hopes of preventing this from occurring again and hopefully returning the function of changing your passwords located within your Vault. 

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This article suggests that you use the following procedure:

Step Three: Update your password(s) in Quicken

1. Launch Quicken and go to Tools > Password Vault > Add/Edit Passwords.
    2. Click on the account in the Password Vault.
    3. Choose Delete Password for the account.
    4. Complete a One Step Update, you will be prompted to enter the password manually.
    5. Type in the password (the same one used on the bank's website) and check in the box marked Save next to the password field.
    6. Click Update Now.
    Theoretically, that should store the new password, in the Vault where still needed, or in the Quicken server, ready for the next OSU without any prompting.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Both of these answers seem to me to miss the mark.

@Quicken Jasmine seems to jump conclusion that there is something wrong with the data file, and @UKR seems to be referencing old information.

For about a year now Express Web Connect hasn't stored the password in the Password vault, you can't change/delete it there.

It might be a problem with the data file, but more times than not, the "fix" step in One Step Update never fixes anything, so my bet would be on that not working instead of the data file.

The way for changing the password for Express Web Connect accounts is now to select One Setup Update (Ctrl+1) and select the gold key icon for the financial institution and then the update link:

Which brings up this dialog:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • @chris_qpw WOW.  I never thought that icon has a purpose.  Now I know better.  Thanks!
  • mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Both of these answers seem to me to miss the mark.
    >
    > @Quicken Jasmine seems to jump conclusion that there is something wrong with the data file, and @UKR seems to be referencing old information.
    >
    > For about a year now Express Web Connect hasn't stored the password in the Password vault, you can't change/delete it there.
    >
    > It might be a problem with the data file, but more times than not, the "fix" step in One Step Update never fixes anything, so my bet would be on that not working instead of the data file.
    >
    > The way for changing the password for Express Web Connect accounts is now to select One Setup Update (Ctrl+1) and select the gold key icon for the financial institution and then the update link:
    >
    >
    >
    > Which brings up this dialog:

Thank you, will try that if/when it happens again.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    please let us know any updated status for others reading this topic -
    [EDIT] - also updated tpic title to better reflect actual Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.